LegacyGT.com

Exhaust setup question

bradlgt21

I have been trying to figure out what exhaust set up I was going to go with. I figured I could just get Cobb's Up and DP catless and leave the stock catback. But now I hear alot of talk about fumes when being catless. What if I get a short DP a UP and leave the stock midpipe and go with a aftermarket catback. Is it going to be loud. I love the sound of these exhausts. But by no means want a droney car. Had one with my last car and never again. So Any ideas on a good DP, UP, catback setup that won't be droney and won't smell... and won't cost a arm and a leg and the other arm. Because I have seen some prices of catbacks for this car and some of them are scary.

Look up Bosal for the catback. Very quiet and no drone at all.

I am with Jon on this one, a properly tuned no-cat exhaust will not smell except on cold startup.

Choose the uppipe and full downpipe of your liking. They dont matter all that much.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I actually was just watching the clips on it. Sounds very mild. Might be a good choice for me. So you are saying with the Bosal I could go catless and it won't smell and will sound like it did in the video. I am not sure what video it was it was just of the guy with the silver spec B driving around the highway and stuff at night.

Yeah that was scans. It will sound like that.

And if you get it tuned by a reputable tuner, it will not smell or leave huge black stains on your bumper.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Hook-up with the North Central boys this weekend. They're installing Earthworm's up/dp MP? and bosal cat back. Should give you an excellent place to start as far as sound output goes.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Hook-up with the North Central boys this weekend. They're installing Earthworm's up/dp MP? and bosal cat back. Should give you an excellent place to start as far as sound output goes.
+1

Also as for the smell I have the AVO with a cat and on start up on cold days it smells a little...and I like it :icon_twis

Yeah I was looking at that. I already met earthworm at the last meet. The one at smokey bones. I think I will come over. Don't have any tools to bring but I am pretty good at doing installs and such. Did headers DP and rockers on my old car. do you know when and where?

If you remove the cats the car will give a stink. There is no way around it....it's exhaust. Keeping the stock 3rd cat will help, or going with a shorty/HFC. I have one cat, a TurboXS HFC and my car will stink a tad when I first start it, but it's not unbearable.

Can also try opening up the garage door when you warm the thing up. :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

If you remove the cats the car will give a stink. There is no way around it....it's exhaust. Keeping the stock 3rd cat will help, or going with a shorty/HFC. I have one cat, a TurboXS HFC and my car will stink a tad when I first start it, but it's not unbearable.

Can also try opening up the garage door when you warm the thing up. :lol:

Exactly the same thing for me w/ the Cobb DP HFC. Maybe a minute of smell when backing out of the garage and leaving the neighborhood, but once it (the cat) starts to heat up, no smell.

Hey Boxer, we agree on something!!! :icon_bigg

Exactly the same thing for me w/ the Cobb DP HFC. Maybe a minute of smell when backing out of the garage and leaving the neighborhood, but once it (the cat) starts to heat up, no smell.

Hey Boxer, we agree on something!!! :icon_bigg

:lol:

(Hey...I'm with ya on the debt thing). :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

im running catless, w/ crucial dp crucial racepipe and stock catback and it stinks and i have charcoal colored mufflers. Is this whole tuning thing really going to eliminate some of the smell.. i cant see that really making sense. Cars combust in the cylinders and combusted unfiltered gasoline will smell regardless i thought?
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

My wifey is *very* sensitive to "the catless odor." Well, she's got a sensitive nose in-general, but you get my drift. :)

After having subjected her to near 10 years of various vehicles with no felines or aftermarket high-flow cats in the exhaust system (the latter of which seems to offend much more than having a stock cat, when the vehicle is cold - but quickly becomes much more liveable as the vehicle warms), I finally decided that I'd try my best to keep my LGT civilized enough for her so that she wouldn't complain, even on long trips.

I'm on a Crucial UP/shorty DP combo, with the stock 3rd (i.e. last) mid-pipe cat in-place.

With the exception of prolonged cold-start idling, the wifey has yet to even remotely complain about any type of exhaust odor ingress into the cabin.

---

As for sound, it's currently thought that the Bosal/SPT as well as the Borla systems are two of the most quiet and drone-free systems out for the LGT. If I were you, though, I'd take the opportunity, as fweasle cited, to join-up with your local enthusiasts so that you can "live sample" the Bosal (and perhaps other) systems.

Although many here do an awesome job with their various sound-clips/captures, there is always the liability of your playback system being just ever so much "off" from what's actually heard in a live setting.

If you're worried about noise, this would definitely be the best way to go.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

My wifey is *very* sensitive to "the catless odor." Well, she's got a sensitive nose in-general, but you get my drift. :)

After having subjected her to near 10 years of various vehicles with no felines or aftermarket high-flow cats in the exhaust system (the latter of which seems to offend much more than having a stock cat, when the vehicle is cold - but quickly becomes much more liveable as the vehicle warms), I finally decided that I'd try my best to keep my LGT civilized enough for her so that she wouldn't complain, even on long trips.

I'm on a Crucial UP/shorty DP combo, with the stock 3rd (i.e. last) mid-pipe cat in-place.

With the exception of prolonged cold-start idling, the wifey has yet to even remotely complain about any type of exhaust odor ingress into the cabin.

---

As for sound, it's currently thought that the Bosal/SPT as well as the Borla systems are two of the most quiet and drone-free systems out for the LGT. If I were you, though, I'd take the opportunity, as fweasle cited, to join-up with your local enthusiasts so that you can "live sample" the Bosal (and perhaps other) systems.

Although many here do an awesome job with their various sound-clips/captures, there is always the liability of your playback system being just ever so much "off" from what's actually heard in a live setting.

If you're worried about noise, this would definitely be the best way to go.

Thanks for the review, thats the same combo I will have. Are you on the stock Catback? I'm curious as to how the car will sound. I want the boxer rumble but I don't want to spend the cash right now for a system. Plus it still needs to be quiet for the wife.

NP. :) Glad to be of-service. :)

Stock catback.

That, of course, translates to nearly a total lack of in-cabin exhaust sounds.

Actually, I have a feeling that my exhaust sound is being way drowned-out by the sucking/swooshing coming from my Perrin Short Ram intake...even then, though, I'd say that the changes I've made to the exhaust piping, overall, have not resulted in any noticeable exhaust "note" differences.

One caveat is that you will hear your turbo/wastegate much more. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived