LegacyGT.com

Does your car travel when the wind hits it?

Hey that's life when you drive a relatively light car. The only other cars that are heavier that I drive regularly are large BMW's and in really heavy winds they are affected too. Not as much as the Legacy, but still affected. I will say that the new 3 Series is less affected than the Legacy, and they are in the same weight class. But the difference is subtle at best, the BMW's suspension is a little more firm.

i just had a conversation w/ Leebrbs about this, he suggested that it might be an alignment issue?!? He suggested that the cars coming from the factory are built to "tolerances" -> like it could come off the line with +/- 3 on either side which could of course be a fairly significant amount off. Anyone have alignment done yet, and what do ya think?

One of my major complaints since I've on the LGT is it's sensitivity to cross winds.

I am not on stock tires, but Michelin Sport Alpins, and it still happens. I've also had a very thorough alignment done by the dealer. It certainly improved, but it is still a problem.

I'll be going to coilovers (DMS) and 18's with summer tires here shortly and I'll get a performance alignment to go with it (not at the dealer). I'm hoping that a little negative camber helps.

Rob

edit: And I've also been driving my Dodge Ram Hemi on the same stretch of highway... It is much more planted in cross winds that the LGT!

I was driving back on my 800 mile road trip and for about 150 miles it was really windy and the car wanted to move sideways like crazy.. Our car is not a light vehicle.. it weighs about 3300 lbs! I was amazed at how much it was moving around in the wind. But, the wind was really strong and gusty, so after I got out of that state, it was fine. lol

Givent the car is not that heavy, and has a relatively large profile, it gets pushed around by wind.

It's about on par to a 1988 toyota camry I used to drive. A tad worse. Much worse than my 1997 eclipse was becasue that sucker was about the same weight, but fairly small and aerodynamic profile.

My lifted 1985 ramcharger was the absolute WORST though. Even worse than my parent's dodge caravan way back when. Might have weighed 4900lbs+, but was built like a barn, and had 35" wheels, 4" body lift, and 4" suspension lift, which allowed the wind to get underneath it. If gusts broke about 50 mph and you were doing over 55, that thing got sketchy.

I think the Legacy is slightly better than average in this respect; not absolutely brilliant. They do set them up a little soft in roll which likely is a major contributor. That said, our Citroen Xantia which was very softly suspended was superb in the wind - being FWD, aerodynamic and a bit nose-heavy might help. Also my Subaru was wearing the outside edge of its tyres and benefitted from a wheel alignment at the first service; didn't change the susceptibility to crosswinds though.

I think the Legacy is slightly better than average in this respect; not absolutely brilliant.

I +1 this sentiment.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I've noticed it much more so than all of my previous cars --all of which weighed less (except for my 91 talon, which is about the same).

I think it's due to two things, alignment (got mine done and it's been better), and side profile (maybe a third, suspension).

I'm going to be fixing two of those soon with coilovers and another alignment. If that fixes it, then there's your answer. If not, chalk it up to the profile of the car.

I'm getting my car lowered (Tein flex) on Wednesday, I'm hoping it fixes the problem too. It feels like the car is being pushed around and it's a very uncomfortable feeling at times; it's a shame that what makes the profile of the car look so nice is also what makes it suck in the wind.

It moves a bit, but no more than most other cars/trucks I've had. My 2002 GMC 1500 used to move latterally even more than my LGT. The only CARs that I've owned that moved noticeably less were my' 71 catalina and my '91 Z-28 -

SLED.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Archived