LegacyGT.com

All Wheel Drive Problem

subman

The AWD recently quit working on my 92 legacy. It has a naturally aspirated 2.2 and a 4 spd. auto trans. The previous owner rigged a toggle switch to the FWD fuse under the hood. With the switch in one position the car is in front wheel drive and in the other position it is supposed to be in AWD. I removed the switch and set it back up to stock but the back wheels still dont turn and the FWD light stays on all the time. I don't think it's mechanical damage because it still rolls down the road fine and there is no grinding. Im curious how the transfer case ditermines when to switch in and out of 4 wheel, is there a module under the dash or in the computer, and is there an electric clutch in the transfer case? All the fuses seem to be ok. I;ve tried looking at wiring diagrams for the car but don't see anything about the AWD system. Any help would be apreciated because my car just isnt the same without 4 wheel drive.

When you removed the switch did you trace the wires back to their source? What the previous owner probably did was jump the wire leading to the FWD fuse holder with the switch, where if the switch was off, then it was in AWD and then if the switch was on there would be a current flowing through the fuse enabling the FWD.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I left the fuse in. Are you supposed to take the fuse out to have all wheel drive? Even if that's the case it dont work with the fuse in or out. Responding to the other message. The switch was wired just like you said between the FWD fuse holder and the plug that goes to the fuse. The wires and the switch seem OK.:confused:

I left the fuse in. Are you supposed to take the fuse out to have all wheel drive? Even if that's the case it dont work with the fuse in or out. Responding to the other message. The switch was wired just like you said between the FWD fuse holder and the plug that goes to the fuse. The wires and the switch seem OK.:confused:
Reconnect the wires where the previous owner made the jump (if you havent already) and then I think you remove the fuse, so there is no connection. Check your manual for if the fuse is supposed to be in for FWD or out. The previous owner may have ruined the AWD system though by putting in the switch

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Thanks for the in put on the FWD fuse everyone. I never got a owners manual with the car so I didn't ever know how it's supposed to be set up, nor did I care, because it always worked great untill recently. I guess now I need to find out what exactly in the transfer case engages the rear drive shaft and if I'm getting power down there or not. My guess is there is an electric clutch in there of some kind. Does anyone know where to get a break-down of the transaxle so I can see what the hells in there?

According to the 90 Legacy manual, you need to remove the fuse in the FWD connector to revert to 4WD.

"For 4wd automatic transmission vehicles, place a spare fuse (15 A) in the FWD connector located in the engine compartment to open up (i.e. disengage) the 4WD circuit during front wheel maintenance requiring that the front wheels be turned (for example, when they are jacked up, driven on rollers, or tested by a brake tester).

"Confirm that the front wheel drive warning light is on. Always use reliable blocks to prevent teh vehicle from moving. Never race the engine or brake suddenly."

Hope that helps.

Archived