LegacyGT.com

Audio low frequeny buzz

Chief_Wiggum

I finished up my audio install a couple weeks ago, and have been fine tuning:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28012

Based on Manville's suggestion, I reversed polarity to the driver side front door coax and fixed up my imaging problems :D :D.

While listening to the low frequency phase track on the CS CD I noticed that all four of my coaxials are making a buzzing/scratching noise. Only happens with low frequencys. Sounds almost like radio static.

I checked all the connections and the amp gains are set properly. The front speakers are using the amps HP crossover and the noise is there with any crossover frequency setting. It's present at all volume levels and varies with volume level and with the car running or not. Anyone have any idea what can be causing this?

Also audible with normal stuff. Can also hear it well using the low frequency sine wave track. Sounds fine on the home stereo.

Edited: Ok, I just went out and listed to some more sine wave tracks. I can actually hear the buzzing through all 4 of the coaxs, but not the sub. I also can hear it using any of the sine wave tracks. So any frequency, not just low.

This has got me bummed. Any simple things to check?

I was hoping for the pink noise, it'd be simple. Before you rip all your door panels off, maybe check stuff upstream - since it's in all the speakers I'd think maybe it's coming thru the signal path. Seems more likely than all four doors having the same install problem, you know? So maybe a bad interconnect, maybe a bad amp? The thing about it sounding like FM static is throwing me off, not sure what to think about that.

It's not going to be a speaker problem... it is likely a low-level noise being induced into the signal wiring (pre or post-CleanSweep). If you have an aux. source connected, see if the problem exists with that source... if it doesn't it is likely being induced into the wiring feeding the CleanSweep inputs. Did you twist the head unit output wires feeding the CleanSweep inputs?

If it still exists with the aux source it is likely being induced into the amp inputs or the input wiring. Try flipping the amps 2/4 way F-R input mode switch to 2-way to see if that eliminates the noise.

It could be a noisy amp but you need to eliminate the other stuff to find that out. To check the amp itself you will need to short the inputs using RCA cables shorted together at the other end. If the noise is still there with the shorting plugs it is definitely the amplifier.

Well, basically I did some more troubleshooting to try and isolate the problem. Hooked up a different speaker, same noise. Tried the aux input playing the same track, noise still there. Started uplugging things from the CS and the amp. Unplugged the DIN connector for the CS volume knob, noise is gone. Plug in the DIN connector, noise comes back.

Noise is definately there with just the aux input and the head unit off, so I don't think it has anything to do with the CS input lines. Is there anything I can check concerning the knob or cable?

Hmmm... let me ask some questions tomorrow. You've got me scratching my head now... that Vol. Control is purely a digital command system, no audio acually passes on it... the vol. potentiometer simply transmits a number to the master unit. I'll have to ask the engineers about it.

Archived