LegacyGT.com

New Outback email and photos

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't gotten my e-mail yet. Interesting how they keep showing pictures of the non-USDM models. If the USDM were the better looking model, you KNOW that SoA would have professional pictures on the site. Seems like a bit of bait and switch in a way.

3.0R sedan, VDC & LL Bean get a wood/leather steering wheel. That's a US only feature. Notice that 3.0R sedan. So is that going to be an Outback or a Legacy? Could this be a Legacy that is getting announced with the Outbacks? I hope so, because a sedan Outback TRUCK seems silly. edit #2: It does say Outback 3.0R sedan and wagons. So I guess it will be the only sedan shaped truck on the market, and that will be the only Outback sedan engine offering. :roll: edit: Just noticed that the 2.5XT gets performance design front seats different from the other models. hmmm

That's funny, I checked the site earlier this morning, and the countdown still had 23 hours left... I guess they got tired of waiting. The numbers on the H6 are dissapointing; 219 ft lbs at 4200 RPM?! What the hell is the AVCS valvetrain good for then?[list][/list]

[quote name='PPower'] Maybe the AVCS was to bump up the fuel economy instead of torque.[/quote] They go hand in hand, you want to make power at lower revs since that means less fuel consumption. I was just surprised that the peak doesn't hit until so high in the revs. And that it's less than the 2.5, I mean equal HP but less torque?? Come on!

Damn, that car looks good. I am REALLY impressed. It looks light years better than the current Outback. Wow! Wait...are those Euro-spec piccies, or USDM-spec? I'm confused, but it sure looks good. Kevin

Interesting specs on the engines: 2.5L Turbo: 250hp@6000rpm, 250lb/ft torque @3600rpm 3.0L H6: 250hp@6600rpm, 219lb/ft torque @ 4200 Max hp comes in at 600rpm higher as well as torque. I can't imagine the torque levels would be any more flat on an H6 than a turbo model. Will be interesting to see a comparison of both with the 5EAT. I'd guess the turbo to be quicker to 60 by nearly a second, but the passing numbers will be the real question. Also, mileage will be interesting to see. I find it interesting to see ONE Outback Sedan model. :roll: They could have just stuck the R&D into a Legacy 3.0R, both Wagon and Sedan which would likely sell more. Guess a sedan in an Outback trim is really a conflict of form and function. Doesn't portray a solid utility image if you ask me.

I think the reason they didn't is because such a small portion (maybe 10% give/take) of buyers get sticks, and most of these are people who would get a stick are going strictly for the performance/fun factor, and most will get a turbo. IIRC that's what I've been told by a couple of people affiliated with SOA. I think it's a smart business decision, unfortunately. I think an H6 with a 5 or 6MT would be a really nice car, but it's just not a sound business decision for the small volume unless the bell housing around the flywheel clutch area was identical to one of the MT designs already for an easy mate.

[quote name='SUBE555']Interesting specs on the engines: 2.5L Turbo: 250hp@6000rpm, 250lb/ft torque @3600rpm 3.0L H6: 250hp@6600rpm, 219lb/ft torque @ 4200 [/quote] Under 3000rpm where the auto tranny likes to live in everyday driving will be interesting.

Under 3000, what's that. :D Guess I don't drive auto's enough. I cruise in the 2250-2750 range generally, nothing below 2000 where most people appear concerned about. If you're accelerating and have an auto, why be afraid to put your foot INTO the accelerator. The people who generally are concerned about that area for acceleration generally make the car shift by 4000, which means they aren't getting the power out of the motor, either one. Just an observation.

[quote name='SUBE555']Interesting specs on the engines: 2.5L Turbo: 250hp@6000rpm, 250lb/ft torque @3600rpm 3.0L H6: 250hp@6600rpm, 219lb/ft torque @ 4200 Max hp comes in at 600rpm higher as well as torque. I can't imagine the torque levels would be any more flat on an H6 than a turbo model. Will be interesting to see a comparison of both with the 5EAT. I'd guess the turbo to be quicker to 60 by nearly a second, but the passing numbers will be the real question. Also, mileage will be interesting to see. [/quote] Why is that? I don't really consider the USDM STi or JDM Legacy to really have a flat curve. NA engines typically have flatter torque curves than turbos, so I really don't understand where so many people are getting this thought. I must be missing out on something because that idea seems so prevelant. Just because the H6 peaks at 219ft-lbs at 4200, it could possibly have 200ft-lbs at 2000rpm. So it may actually be slower to 60mph and faster for all out racing, but I bet the H6 will feel like it isn't having to work as hard to get nearly the same result especially in real world situations where it isn't running at full boost. I would think that the turbo boost feeling would be very convincing on a test drive as it kicks in whereas the H6 wouldn't feel it as much. As for the actual curves, we won't be able to really know until both engines are on a dyno, and I doubt many Outback 3.0R owners will be interested in doing that.

Ever driven a Forester XT? Tell me an H6 will kick it's butt. I can imagine a rather similar tune, with maybe a little more peak. Even the Forester XT w/ AT was fast, and I'm not a fan of AT's but I had to try one to see how it compared to the 5MT. In some ways the FXT seems a little slower because it comes on rather early, but it seems to constantly be there, so I'd have to say once you're on the go, you're on the go. The H6 may be good, but I really like the 2.5T's and think they may perform as well or better. :) That's all pre-emptive, so I'll wait for the dyno specs and road tests for final judgement. ;)

Archived