LegacyGT.com

imperfections

My wife just noticed ( leave it to the women to notice ), that the driver side rear door does not line up and meet correctly to the rear quarter panel area.

I checked and it's true. All the other doors are smooth at the opening gap ( when closed ), and have a uniform gap. This door actually sticks out a little when closed.

I've also noticed other areas where the body panels don't line up real nice.

What a pity. I've always heard that you can tell build quality by looking at things like that. But I guess that's because this car is built in Indiana instead of Japan.

Has anyone else had this issue ? do you think it's something that can be easily fixed at a dealer ?

Dealer should be able to do that for you; especially if the car is still pretty new. Haven't checked my LGT yet, but on panels like the hood and trunk there are often rubber bumpers that screw in/out to set the flushness - very easy.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

talk to a decent dealer, or someone you know in the autobody business. (I have a brother-in-law who is a bodyman, as well as other family members who work on restoring cars... )

it should be solveable and not that difficult for someone who knows what they are dealing with. If someone gives you static about it, or laughs, tell 'em to ___ up a flag pole, and find someone who wants to help you.

Doors probably aren't that hard. there are usually three or four points of contact, two hinges, one or two strikers, and possibly a rubber bumper Most of them should be able to be loosened, adjusted, and re-tightened in the correct position to allow the door to close flush.

An experienced bodyman can probably look at it and know where to start adjusting and by how much right away.

I have heard comments, perhaps from you, but I think from more than one person, that some of the LGTs coming from SIA have a rear driver's door alignment problem, especially noticeable at the window sill between the rear door and the base of the rear quarter window. I have noticed that in pictures, and just thought it a random oddity. I know I'll be going over the gaps with a critical eye when I buy a legacy...

Thanks for the good info. I suppose I'll wait until I get the 3k service and let them look at it then. It's not a big deal as I don't hear any wind from there. I was curious if others had the issue.

It'll take a heck of a lot more than that though to make me sad that I bought the car. It's a great car for the price.

Also, I haven't seen even one on the road yet. It feels pretty good driving such a unique car. :-))

I've noticed the gap between the trunk lid and the tail light on my LGT is wider on the passenger side then the other side. Warranty issue or easy to fix at home?

Tip: try moving the latch plate side to side before you try to move the trunk lid. That may be enough, otherwise it gets hard.

Yes I had an issue with the drivers side front door. The black trim where the window meets the door did not line up flush with the rear door black trim. I checked the passenger side and it was lined up properly. They just had to make an adjustment, now it is lined up perfectly.

Archived