LegacyGT.com

antenna connector adapter (iPod, XM, etc.. via FM modulator)

c_hunter

Ok, so the factory radios in the 05 Leg/OB use a non-standard antenna connector. To hook up any sort of FM-modulator (for iPod, XM, etc...) we will need adapters. Alternately, we could splice into the car's antenna cable but that is a dicey proposition because it is an unknown type/size co-ax cable. Anybody know if antenna connector adapters are available for the 05 Legacy/OB radios?? These seem to be the first US Subarus to use a non-std antenna connector. My hope is that the new connector is possibly used on other car stereos, so maybe there's already an adapter out there that works. thanks, Craig

can someone post a pic of this new connector?? Also, doesn't the antenna cable have printing to identify the type? I'm sure any co-ax will do the trick. I was going to buy the FM modulator and cut the tip off to swap it with the antenna tip.

I did some exploratory surgery this afternoon and found the antenna connector. It's a strange, little (maybe 5mm on the long side) connector seated inside a larger plastic clasp. The connector can be removed easily (but carefully) from the clasp.

There is a similar connector inside the "hole" to which this one is mated. It is very short and doesn't seem to have any slack. You'll need patience and a bright light to work with it.

It looks like these connectors could be cut off and replaced with the "classic-style" auto antenna connectors, but I think I'll let somebody else be the sacrificial lamb.

According to the service manual, there is an amplifier connected to this antenna, way-back near the rear window (or lift-gate). The S.M. also claims that power to the amplifier is supplied through a pin in one of the several connectors to this radio instead of through the antenna line itself. So, (I guess), inlining an FM modulator won't disconnect the amplifier's power.

Dave Riesz

antcon1.jpg.6c7d4a13800ad238011d34341a330f73.jpg

antcon3.jpg.89342ad30570f5ee7e46c21fdb7fccda.jpg

antcon2.jpg.88a3d0ed5e5889c3c3b93b931d38f94a.jpg

There is a thread on NASIOC with more info about the connectors: [url]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619224[/url] I am going to see if they can be ordered. I should at least be able to get some sample pieces. Also, look at the thread here where someone peeked in the back of the radio: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=2588[/url] There appears to be a ribbin cable connecting the CD changer to the stereo. It may be possible to hijack that in order to get a direct line in to the amplifier. Craig

Eagerly awaiting your solution Craig! :wink: We managed to get by on just CD's for this last trip. 3400 miles later we're OK, but it sure would be nice not to have to haul a bunch of CD's with me next time. Thanks for sharing all you've found so far. -Ian

Craig, A direct line in would be a much better solution than a FM modulator, but I guess one would need to figure out how to stop the audio signal coming in from the changer itself. We're slowly getting closer! Ken

What we need is to light a fire under those guys at Dension and get them to build us an IceLink for this system. Of course, I'm such an audio n00b that I don't really know the difference between what Craig's trying to do with an FM Modulator and a direct line in as Ken would like. I mean I can sort of tell that one would come in through the radio and the other through where the CD player would normally, but beyond that I have no idea. For instance with the iPod wired into an FM modulater would you still be able to use the radio? How about cutting into the wires from the disc changer, would you still be able to use the changer to listen to CD's? I'll go look up stereo's on howstuffworks now. ;-) -Ian

I have an Audiovox SIRSWB antenna patch-in adapter that I was going to use with my Sirius satellite radio, but based on the photos in this thread, I will need an adapter to get it to work. Great info, thanks dpr. -Nick

Ian, The hardwired modulators have an internal relay that "blocks" the antenna when the modulator is on, but connects it back to the radio when the modulator is off. I had a modulator on a car way back in 1989, when portable CD players were just becoming the rage. I had to put in a switch to turn the modulator on when I wanted CD and back off when I wanted radio. Some of the newer modulators will auto-sense your accessory (iPod, XM, etc..) and turn on/off automatically. If we tapped into the wires for the CD changer, we would need to install some sort of multi-pole switch (or some relays) that would allow us to toggle the wires between the aux-in (iPod) and CD changer. I'm sure it would be easy, and it may be possible to rig up some sort of auto-sensing circuit. We'd also need a way to trick the radio into thinking the CD was playing (physically spinning a disc) which either means finding out how to trigger that in the circuitry or just playing a "silent" CD. You can actually burn a long track of silence using iTunes or another utility, which would do the trick. A guy on NASIOC had to do this when he tappped into his Forester XT radio. Craig

• 4 years later...
I did some exploratory surgery this afternoon and found the antenna connector. It's a strange, little (maybe 5mm on the long side) connector seated inside a larger plastic clasp. The connector can be removed easily (but carefully) from the clasp.

Dave Riesz

Ok, I'm bringing this back from the dead, I have an antenna adapter for my aftermarket stereo, looks exactly like the pics above. Does anyone know what the adapter is going to hook up with? I took my Alpine deck out today but couldn't find an immediate answer. Do I need to take my dash apart to find this antenna? Plz help, thanks. If anyone has any pics, that would be great.

Archived