LegacyGT.com

So I bought an LGT - then hit a boulder

CasopoliS

Well it seemed like a boulder, it was huge.

I bought an LGT out in Maryland this weekend (well I bought it last week, picked it up over the weekend). On my way back to OH, I hit a huge rock in the hills of PA... I ran it over with the driver's side front wheel. The car did not look damaged at first glance. On my way to work this morning, the tire went flat. After changing it seems the rim is bent and dinged up on the inside, and the tire was torn. The tire place told me it could still hold a seal, and it was just cosmetic stuff. I have not gotten a chance to make sure my axle, brakes, etc are damaged, but it rides and drives fine so far. Tonight I will get under the car.

Anyway I was quoted $213 to mount and balance a new tire (same as stock). I left it with the tire place frustrated, figured I would just pay whatever since I need to get off the spare. Also, should I get two tires so the fronts match tread thickness? The tires will be the same Potenzas, and the pass. side has maybe 1/2 tread left.

What is sensitive behind the rim that I should look at? Seeing how the inside edge was dinged up, the rock should have hit much more. If I could guess, it was as high as a curb, maybe 6" deep and 8" long, and weighed over 20 lbs.

Oh no, bro! I'm so sorry to hear! :(

Like the other guys have said, search around either here or on eBay, you might find a replacement set of the stock RE92s for quite the bargain-basement price.

Otherwise, honestly, take this as your God-given sign to move-on to better rubber. Falken ZIEX-ZE 512s are a good all-weather compromise, and are priced very competitively, with your local Sears probably willing to price-match Discount Tire's pricing to-boot. Alternativley, Fuzion ZRi or HRis are also a decent, yet price-conscious bet.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

:( :( Ouch dude. I'm very sorry to hear that. I'm glad you made it back to Ohio safely though. I just wish the legacy had better luck.

Also heightsgtltd is correct. A lot of folks do swap out the Bridgestone RE92s for other tires. Of course, I wouldn't switch brands unless you were changing at least 2 tires.

edit: here's 4 RE92s from a member in Wisconsin. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27355&highlight=re92

Yea thanks for the link. Those tires would be a good deal, but then I would have to pay to ship them, then pay the place to mount and balance which will me more since I am not buying the tire from them. AND I would be driving on the spare a little longer. A good deal, just a little more hassle. If the other 3 tires' tread was a little lower, I would contemplate replacing them... but it is not necessary now.

FYI Subaru Roadside assistance came through this morning. Someone came out to put on my spare. I was dressed up for work, and it was tsunami-like rain and mud where I pulled over.

I will give you the update when I get home tonight, I really hope nothing will be broken. I need to get my alignment checked too now. ahhhhh.

Oh wow thanks, I did not know that. That is a very small number. So do you guys rotate tires often to keep tread wear even, or is that not necessary?

If I had the money, I would just pick up some new rims and tires from somebody, then sell the stock rims.

There are so many unhappy people who have cut their loses with the Potenza's, that you might be able to find a set dirt cheap on here.

Most of us would probably recommend that you just ditch the Potenza's and buy a set of quality tires. You could get much better tires for half the price of a Potenza RE92.

After my experience with them, I will NEVER own another Bridgestone tire again.

Thanks for the help everyone. Actually if I knew I could sell my stock LGT rims and tires, I would buy the OZ Superllegras that someone is selling on this board. Tomorrow or Wednesday I should know if a tire will still seal to the rim. It looks like it should be able to, the flat was not bent... only the very outer lip. Its almost just like bad curb rash... just on the inside lip.

But at that point, the place will have already sold me the tire because it is mounted to my rim. It is almost like I have to buy the tire and see if it works. If it works, just balance the tire and drive off, if it doesnt work... I will have to buy another rim (or new rims) for them to put the new tire on.

Well I bought it from plunk10, who lives in Upper Marlboro. We met in Laurel, and I drove it around Leesburg Saturday where my relatives live.

I saw a black LGT with a grill and black rims that I think is on this forum, but I forget where I was.

Ok so the tire shop cannot mount a tire to the rim. Now I need a new rim and tire. It sucks just looking for 1. Might have to buy a new set of rims and tires and just sell the 3 good ones I have individually or as a whole.

Where can I find a cheap rim / tire package?

Archived