LegacyGT.com

Any "gotcha's" on front brake pad replacement (GT)?

Ed_T

I did mine just about 2 weeks ago.

First time I've ever attempted anything like this. It was a piece of cake pretty much.

Advice from a rookie...

1. You'll only need to remove the bottom caliper bolt and the whole thing swings up. Remember the bolt is put in from the back, so to loosen it, its the opposite. I ended up tightening mine more before i figured that out.

2. The metal clips are a pain...not much to tell you on that. You can turn the wheels to help with the fronts so you can see the back.

3. You'll have to compress the piston in the caliper back in to swing it closed.

Otherwise everything went problem free for me and there was only minor cursing because i had a tough time getting the pads to sit in the clips correctly.

Brake replacement tips:

- Rear caliper bolt : 27.2 ftlbs , Front caliper bolt: 19.9 ftlbs

- Remember to open the brake fluid reservoir and place a clean rag around it before you push the pistons back into the caliper, else brake fluid will leak from the brake master cylinder. Have someone help you top off the brake fluid when you first pump the brakes to avoid getting bubbles in there.

- You only need a small amount of anti-squeal/brake-quiet stuff on the shims. After installing the pads and driving the car around, stop and clean the brake pads at the shims since some of the anti-squeal would bubble/squeeze out.

I keed I keeed

They may be wear and tear items, but they were covered on the warranty as of like 6 months ago.

Straight from Subaru.com about warranty...

Wear Item Limited Warranty:

Wear item coverage is 3 year or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

• 2 weeks later...
Wear items have been covered by Subaru for several years now, including brake pads, rotors, clutch, windshield wipers, etc. If your dealer isn't giving you these items for free during the first 36k miles, take your business elsewhere.

Archived