LegacyGT.com

CHP trouble

well i got my hood dampeners installed last nite. my buddy gave me his license plate covers from his sti, cuz he wont be sporting plates for about 2 months as the DMV messed up somewhere....

but anyways i drivin to get lunch today... drove by a cop, who followed in pursuit... but didn't pull me over until 5 miles later when i signaled to exit at the next offramp. i tought i was speeding. but nopes.. gave me a ticket for my license plate cover.

Blah blah blah blah !!!

i dont know who to get mad at, the cop for the stupid fixit ticket, my buddy for installing the covers on my plates, or me for going along w/ anything...

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

blah is all i have to say regarding the events of today...

the one thing that i wonder... why did it take him 25 minutes to write up a stupid fixit ticket?!

i am NOT exaggerating when i state 25 minutes.... i looked behind me several times and he was on the radio and his laptop and writing a ticket.

i'm utterly confused.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

blah is all i have to say regarding the events of today...

the one thing that i wonder... why did it take him 25 minutes to write up a stupid fixit ticket?!

i am NOT exaggerating when i state 25 minutes.... i looked behind me several times and he was on the radio and his laptop and writing a ticket.

i'm utterly confused.

do you have a long record? maybe he was looking at that? maybe he wasn't getting a response back quickly from the computer? maybe after he ran your name, a possible hit came back and he had to verify it through dispatch. who knows.

i've never understood those plate covers... do they actually do anything?

some plate covers can prevent your plate from being displayed when a camera takes a picture. Kinda like a louver effect that you can read it from ground level, but you can't from up high where a camera is located.

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

Other plate covers are simply for cosmetics (color match/smoke, etc.) - and yet others help seal out road salt/weather (which can be a big plus for those of us who live in such environments).

Check your local laws/ordinances, though, before installing!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i've never understood those plate covers... do they actually do anything?

I've had my registration sticker stolen off my plate before. Didn't know until I got a ticket for not having one. PITA because I then had to pay to replace the sticker (~$15?) and then mail in the registration with a $10 processing fee to get out of the $40 ticket. I wouldn't mind having some type of protection over it.

I've had my registration sticker stolen off my plate before.

How? You can't simply pull one off intact, unless you didn't wipe off the plate before applying one. I know I usually have to take a chisel to scrape off the old one.

The covers that prevent the plate from being seen by a camera is simply the reason why it's illegal to have anything covering the plates.

Not sure how they did it, scraped it off with a razor I presume. I can see evidence of an attempted removal on my other car as one of the corners has been scraped off. Looks like they gave up when it started coming off in pieces.

Newer registration stickers are perforated so they come off in small pieces if attempted. And any place where it isn't illegal to have just a rear plate or covers over plates it will be soon thanks to red light cameras and photo radar.

Not sure how they did it, scraped it off with a razor I presume. I can see evidence of an attempted removal on my other car as one of the corners has been scraped off. Looks like they gave up when it started coming off in pieces.

I try to take ALL of the stickers off every 3-4 years. It is actually pretty easy to remove a stack of California stickers, leaving the top (current) one intact.

My 1968 Mustang with the original black plates had a pretty tall stack of stickers :icon_bigg

My boss is also a reserve police officer. He told me that it IS legal in California to cover the sticker area ONLY on a plate, for the purpose of protecting the sticker from theft. I think some companies make covers for that purpose.

Steve

How? You can't simply pull one off intact, unless you didn't wipe off the plate before applying one. I know I usually have to take a chisel to scrape off the old one.

The covers that prevent the plate from being seen by a camera is simply the reason why it's illegal to have anything covering the plates.

That's why you take a razor blade and after you stick it on the said surface...you cut it in several pieces...It looks intact and readable...but if anyone wants to steal it...he would have to deal with 6-8 pieces of a postal stamp -sized sticker...

And use the photoblocker...it works...

Archived