LegacyGT.com

legacy vs legacy gt

I drive about 20 miles each way to work every day, and if I can stay out of the boost for the majority of that time, my average tanks is somewhere around 21-24 mpg. I came from a truck, so that is good news for me. It all depends on your driving habits though, there are people here that constantly get like 15 mpg on a tank. The added power is well worth the few extra bucks at the pump in my opinion. Time to start packing your lunch and cut back on the boozing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say that if you live in the mountians with windy roads, get the GT. If you live in the city/subarbs(sp) then get the 25i. If I didn't live in the mountians, I would have gotten it myself.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

My $0.02.

I too bought the 2.5i and have wondered if the GT might haveb been "better". In my math, I commute about 500 miles per week so figured $400 additional per year just on gas. I did get a good price compared to the Turbo.

Do try the 2.5i Limited. At least with the Sportmatic transmission, you can keep the RPM's up in a lower gear without having the automatic upshift on you and rob all the power. Unfortunately even with the Sportmatic, Subaru (like all car manufacturers today) figures you need to be saved from yourself, so the car will up shift at 5 K with a readline at 6200. Oh well, keep your eyes closed and it will seem faster...

Fwellers,

I also drive about 10 miles each way to/from work. Please see my thread about my dismal fuel mileage. In the city, I'm averaging around 12-16mpg and 19-22 on the highway.

I have a LGT 5EAT. I've been babying it to try to change the fuel economy but it seems driving harder helps. I've changed from Mobil gas to Shell, with only a minor difference.

I spend about $40/week on gas.

According to Subaru of America, these number are within specifications.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26881

Based on my experience with this vehicle and the customer support from my local dealership and Subaru of America, my advice is to steer clear of the Legacy all together! Go with something more mainstream.

Hell, AWD isn't that important if you don't buy the right tires, so go with a FWD vehicle with snow tires and you'll be all set.

/end rant. (I just got off of the phone with a senior rep at Subaru that told me that he can't recommend any repairs to my vehicle. I'm pretty sick of this.)

Thanks Guys for all the quick responses. LOL. I flip about 3 or 4 times a day now.

RTS: I know that the Legacy 2.5i is not garbage. I was very impressed with it. I shouldn't have driven the GT. I did think there was more body roll in the 2.5i, but not as much as my outback, so it would be an improvement. Thanks for the sobering input. :-))

Joebert, Sounds like your input is sobering also. ( getting rid of the booze ) :icon_bigg

LongHiway, I hear you. I think if gas goes up, you will be more happy that you got the i.

Leggnut, Thanks. I live in the suburbs of DC. No mountains here. I definitely don't "need" a turbo. It's more of a want and a cool thing. Hell, I just got rid of a HOnda Goldwing Gl1800. Fast bike. I do like to speed up now and then. :-))

Mango:

Pardon me for saying, but the numbers you are posting don't seem far off from many that I've read on this and other forums. I guess around 5mpg less on average. But that sucks. 5mpg is 5mpg right ?

Keep em comin if you got em. This is a talkative bunch. hahaa.

The 2.5i non-limited has the shift for yourself transmission to by the way. I use regular gas and get great gas mileage, around 25-27mpg in mainly city driving. I was actually shocked at the mileage I was expecting it to be much lower. The 16 inch wheels look great especially when rotating, its actually lower to the ground than the GT. The braking is good also. The 2006 has the brakes from the limited and 17 inch wheels. The 16 inch wheels are now exclusive of the 2005 woohoo:)

Don't get me wrong the Turbo is great and the whoosh factor is amazing, but I was looking for a car with good gas mileage and used regular gas. The 2.5i front wheel bias AWD was flawless in the recent snow we had in NY, thats about as bad as we are going to get it in terms of snow here so i'm happy :) Eventually i'll change the tires but so far so good.

The engine is loud yeah, but when you look at the revs its not really struggling and its got great torque of the line. It won't win you a lot of races but it will keep you up with traffic. Sport mode will become your friend at the light! LOL:icon_bigg Handling is great and probably will be better after I am rid of the tires and with the anti dive geometry, Abs and Ebd it shares with all the other variants the car is composed.

I was also able to shove a 6 cubic feet deep freezer into the wagon. I told the stock guy that I had a wagon he said "Err it won't fit, don't you have an SUV" I said it will fit. It slid right in with the seats down and he was amazed. SUV's are sooo overrated :)

I'm not going to tell you which one to get. You sound like someone who is not blinded by Fast, so go for a test drive then sit down and work out the economics then decide.

BUT the 2005 2.5i is NOT garbage and if you really need the limited slip get the 2.5i outback.

If the gas on the Turbo was regular and it got slightly better gas mileage with the pedal down this would be a different review lol :D

I hear you Iyalla. Good review. Thanks for the input.

I've flipped back to the 2.5i for now. Especially after talking with the wife today, and realizing how much our tax has gone up and is expected to go up more.

I'm runnin a little skeeeert. :-))

There's something to be said for sporty speed, but also something to be said for low key stealth. :-))

Mango:

Pardon me for saying, but the numbers you are posting don't seem far off from many that I've read on this and other forums. I guess around 5mpg less on average. But that sucks. 5mpg is 5mpg right ?

On a scale of 20mpg, 5mpg is 25%! Speaking of tax increases, how would you feel about a 25% increase without any stated cause?

5mpg difference....15 gallons....45 mile difference --> 45/15mpg (average) = 3 gallons = $7.50 extra PER TANK.

I fill up, at minimum, once per week. Thus, a $7.50 difference per tank = $390 difference per year.

If I own the car for 7 years, thats $2,930 extra that I've paid for fuel compared to owners of the same car.

Well you were saying that you're getting between 19 and 22 on the highway.

I've heard some people say they get up to 27 on the highway, but I've heard others talk about usage similar to the 22 range.

I gather you aren't alone in your gas mileage.

I have a 2002 2.5 Outback wagon, and it only gets around 22-25 in combined. I don't think I get more than 25 on the highway. And that's an NA engine. So for you to be getting around 5mpg less than me with a turbo doesn't sound all that bad.

Just trying to add some perspective here.

The dealership "controlled" fuel consumption test came up with 16.8mpg city/highway mixed. We can pretty much safely say that they took it easy on the car to prove that nothing is wrong with it. That's between 5-8mpg less than your combined mileage...

Since the majority of my driving is "city", I'm more concerned with that. I'm wondering if oxygenated fuel and winter conditions are responsible for a drop from 26-28mpg highway last summer to 19-22mpg highway right now.

*And if you take a look at my thread and do the actual mpg calculations (instead of assuming 15mpg each time and adding in the miles supposedly left in the tank), you'll see that I haven't actually been able to get above 20mpg on the highway...

Ok so you came up with almost 17mpg combined. I think mine is somewhere between 22 and 24 combined. That's somewhere between 5-7mpg lower for your car.

That's one reason I may not get the GT. I would assume that the GT would get around 5mpg lower than my car, and possibly even lower than that, depending on how much fun I have.

Unless my car is doing poorly also in relation to others. But I think I'm doing average.

One thing, my car is a 2002, so it's a little older, and a little heavier, being an outback wagon.

I'm really looking forward to 27mpg that I heard others getting on the 2.5i in the city. I won't be too dissapointed though if I don't get that much, as it sounds a bit high to me. But I sure would like it.

Another older thread to muck up the decision. We have both a 2005 non-turbo 4eat outback and a turbo 5mt legacy, and if I had to do it again would get the turbo for both. the mpg numbers are still roughly the same; just higher miles on the vehicles. The insurance is about $100/yr higher for the legacy plus cost of premium hooch.

Hi I'm new here. That's because I'm thinking of trading my 02 base ob for a legacy sedan.

I like the gt because the seats are better, steering wheel controls for the radio, and more power.

But, I am still considering the legacy limited because I also like the 2.5i engine, and it is much more economical, especially at $4k less on the purchase.

My big decision point stems around the limited slip diff (lsd).

I know my current ob has the lsd and does very well in the snow. So I feel confident the gt would do great in the snow too. But how well will a car like the legacy ltd do in the snow without lsd ?

Is that a big point to consider ?

Thanks for any advice.

Floyd

I came from a base 01 OB, 4EAT and traded up to an 05 OBXT with 5MT. So, pretty much the same move that you are considering. I have NO regrets in getting the turbo or the MT. Some obsrervations:

The 4EAT, 01 OB was MUCH BETTER in the snow than the 5MT OB XT is. Even with crappy "wilderness" tires. Still, the 5MT isn't bad.

My real world, 60% suburban 40% freeway, MPG on the 01 was 23 to 24 MPG. My real world MPG in the XT under the same conditions is 20 to 22. Ignore the computer as it can easily be manipulated hgh or low.

Wow. Really, 20-22 mpg on the xt wagon. Pretty nice.

Unless something happens though, I've made up my mind. I'm gonna get the "green" car.

I sent an email to the salesman, and if he comes up off the last $250 I want from him, then I'll do it. If not, then I still have time to be persuaded to go for the gt. hahahha.

Thanks for the info.

LOL. And I thank you all. ( If you're talking to me, seadog )

I just found out from my Statefarm agent that they give excellent loans, better than most banks, definitely better than the dealerships ( unless you get the rebate offers ).

So now I can get a 5.xx % loan and just give the dealer a check, and don't have to mess with them. They were at 6.9 for top credit.

Archived