LegacyGT.com

legacy vs legacy gt

I have an '05 LGT with the stock tires. My neighbor across the street could not get his SUV out of his own driveway with the 14 inches of snow we had the other day and then had trouble going up the hill of our street once it was plowed. They left about 6 inches of snow since they plowd early in the storm. A privately owned plow truck was stuck at the bottom of our street. My LGT had no traction problems leaving my driveway, after I shoveled, and no problems on the streets. I saw people getting stuck all over the place, many spinning their tires and revving their engines highly. If you feather the throttle you can go almost anywhere with no problems, even without dedicated snow tires. In the Summer I enjoy the power for passing other cars without any worry. You do have to keep an eye on your speed as these cars like to travel at a fast pace and you won't even notice it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was looking, I drove the 2.5i, gt, OB 3.0. I found that since i live in the mountians and have roads that sti owners salvate over for a daily comute, and a 2500ft climb/decent each way of the comute. I felt that the 2.5i was adaquite, but lacked the suspension that would want in the ride. The H6 was a blast to drive and great on economy, but it didn't come the way I would want it. So I was left with the LGT. I really felt that it complemented the road so much better. I have had service loaners a lot with my lemon of a baja and drove my comute with a WRX wagon, WRX sedan, LGT sedan, OBW, and a OBW 3.0 LLB. Out of all of these, the LGT was the nicest ride. The suspension was so much more refined than the WRX's and the power output is more linier in my mind. The OBW's were nice, but I want a sedan and if they had a OB sedan 2.5 XT then I would be all over that. Just my .02 worth.

Ben

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I don't know if there is, but it sure did feal a lot different in the twisty mountian roads around here. Where the LGT felt like it was stuck like glue to the road and I could hardly feeal any lateral G's, I felt I was really pushing it around the corners in the 25i and at a lower speed. Say I was going an average of 35 up a windy road in the LGT, I really felt pushing it at 30 in the 25i.

Ben

Subaru Ambassador PNW

The nice thing about this newest generation Legacy is that due to it having a turbo here, aftermarket folks give a damn about it. Any lacking features of the 2.5i's suspension could be solved with an aftermarket one with the money you save by not getting the GT. Be it just springs and better shocks or a full coilover set.

>>Any lacking features of the 2.5i's suspension could be solved with an aftermarket one with the money you save by not getting the GT. Be it just springs and better shocks or a full coilover set.<<

Not this boy. I've learned my lesson about customizing with my Harley. I trade a bit too often for that. It's a losing proposition $$-wise.

But the side that is under 100 years old, you know, the fun side, says GET THE GT. hahaha.

If you can say this at all, you need the GT. You will kick yourself every time you get behind the wheel, otherwise (which is more often than you fill the tank, even with the GT).

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

>>If you can say this at all, you need the GT. You will kick yourself every time you get behind the wheel, otherwise (which is more often than you fill the tank, even with the GT).<<

Why do you say that ? Really. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the non-gt, and I really want to know why ? :-))

>>If you can say this at all, you need the GT. You will kick yourself every time you get behind the wheel, otherwise (which is more often than you fill the tank, even with the GT).<<

Why do you say that ? Really. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the non-gt, and I really want to know why ? :-))

Well, I operate under the theory that every man (and some women) have a 12 y.o. boy hiding inside them. Some people do everything in their power to stomp down the impulses of that 12 yo boy. Others let their inner 12 yo run the show. In my experience, the best adults live somewhere in between the extremes. You need to take the 12 yo boy out and play now and then. The GT is a nice, clean outlet for your inner 12 y.o.

That, and I test drove every Subary in the Legacy extended family, plus all of the Forresters. The naturally aspirated versions didn't do much for me. The 5EATs were OK, but I still preferred my 8 year old Intrepid. But the turbo 5MTs were a sheer joy to drive. Driving one is still like the electric feeling of having a sizable and annoyed trout at the other end of a whisper-thin fishing line. Actually, now that I've caught a bonefish, I'd put the experience more along the lines of having a bonefish on the line, melting 100 yds of line off your reel in mere moments. Total focus; electric joy; clarity of thought.

If you understand what I just wrote, then you need to get the GT.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

In Canada 12 year olds don't drive(legally).You prefer your Dodge to a NA Legacy?:lol:

I understand what you mean and don't totally disagree. To each his own.

By the way, we fish for shark and tuna (trout are weenies).:icon_bigg

One more thing to consider,in 3 years, when you trade your 2.5i will be worth as much as a GT(used turbos are usually regarded as being thrashed).The more I read these forums I think it might be true.:icon_surp

Well I understand Troutman's post also. I simply have a practial side, like Seadog that apparently is as compelling as the 12 year old side. :-)) If money was less of an object, yea I'd buy the GT FOR SURE. I'm trying to be wiser.

But that does irk me about the suspension and steering being better. I thought I detected a difference between the two. Damn !!!

The difference is $70/month, plus gas.

I wonder if Insurance is higher due to having the extra 75 horsepower.

For us, we upgraded our 98 Forester L (n/a) to a 04 Forester XT (turbo) and our insurance only went up about $90 a year. Just food for thought.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I have the 2.5i, 2006, with 10K miles, my average mpg is around 27. On regular 87 gas. If premium is 20 cents more a gallon, and you get more like 24 mpg with the turbo (?), I have saved about $145 the first 6 months. Seats are good (drivers anyway.) Suspension is good though no doubt the GT is tighter, but I cruise a lot so the ride is just right. As for tighter steering, by which I assume you mean more sensitive and tighter ratio , I personally think that would be bad, I wish this one understeered a bit more like my 97 sedan did. This has plenty of power for me, esp. in the middle range. Car is great in snow and will get even better when it gets its first set of new tires.

Damn. I'm hurting now. I thought I had my mind made up twice already, and now I'm gonna flop again.

So the GT drives a good bit better, that I can tell after only a 10 minute test drive.

But the GT will cost me about $70 a month more for 60 months, plus, HOW MUCH MORE GAS.

That's the question. I only drive 10 miles each way to work, and a weekend trip here and there. Probably only about 10k miles a year.

Please please please, help me decide. :confused::iam::confused::iam:

Damn. I'm hurting now. I thought I had my mind made up twice already, and now I'm gonna flop again.

So the GT drives a good bit better, that I can tell after only a 10 minute test drive.

But the GT will cost me about $70 a month more for 60 months, plus, HOW MUCH MORE GAS.

That's the question. I only drive 10 miles each way to work, and a weekend trip here and there. Probably only about 10k miles a year.

Please please please, help me decide. :confused::iam::confused::iam:

The 2.5i is no slouch when it comes to handling. Quite secure, good feel, absolutely nothing negative about it, just different from the GT. I love mine. This is my first Subaru and it is one of the best cars I've ever owned. In 11K The only thing I have needed done to it is regular oil changes. Nothing else. No new car gripes to have adjusted, no little things that needed tweeked. It all comes down to degrees of differences between degrees of perfection. Just because you feel the GT handles better does not mean the 2.5i is garbage, just different. Weigh these degrees of difference and then compare them to the $70. per month differnce and see which you will feel more comfortable with. You are talking a 4200.00 difference over 60 months plus what ever difference in fuel mileage. Even if mileage were equal the GT takes premium.

Archived