LegacyGT.com

Suby Drive to Sedona-Jerome April 1st!!!!

Brooksy2.5I

So the ECUtek is a permanent change to the ecu (permanent in that I couldn't go back to stock at home)? That price seems fairly reasonable, but if I don't have some of the other bits, is it even worth doing?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the ECUtek is a permanent change to the ecu (permanent in that I couldn't go back to stock at home)? That price seems fairly reasonable, but if I don't have some of the other bits, is it even worth doing?

That is correct .. the nice thing with the AP ... and Surge now has the Protune software, you can have differen maps loaded on the AP that you can load on your car. You can also revert it back to stock. They also have a fuel mileage map, valet map, etc.

With ECUTek I don't think you can have different maps.

That is correct .. the nice thing with the AP ... and Surge now has the Protune software, you can have differen maps loaded on the AP that you can load on your car. You can also revert it back to stock. They also have a fuel mileage map, valet map, etc.

With ECUTek I don't think you can have different maps.

Correct. You cannot switch maps with the ECUTeK, nor can you switch to economy mode (cant switch maps, same thing).

After talking to Subaru today, they told me with the ECUTeK reflash, what will happen if I have an ECU recall. Basically if they have to do anything to my ECU for whatever reason, I will lose the settings for the tune. SO I will have to get it done again. I just hope there arent any recalls. Working good so far, lol.

DynoComp has not tuned many cars with the AP, and they feel they can do a much better job with the ECUTeK, which I why I am using that. Plus the techs at Subaru wont be able to tell you were tuned (other than driving the car or hooking up the ECU to their computer thing) since there is no little control unit. They alter your stock settings. So they can control every function of the ECU for a complete proper tune.

Also if you ever want to get the AP installed, you will have to get a new ECU. You cannot use the AP on top of the altered ECU with the ECUTeK reflash.

Hope this info helps. I am still going with ECUTeK, due to a better tune from DynoComp. I am highly confident in their work. Ill post my numbers tomorrow if I have time. At 9am is my tune.

yeah, catless shorty DP, and CAI. I will be running about 17psi as well. So thats where the big gain will come. Of course the DP will help too. Thats why Im expecting around 60-70ft/lb gain at least. That will be a very nice gain on my butt dyno. But of course Ill post the real numbers, lol.

They say when a customer sends them their ECU, they reflash it with a conservative tune, and the gain is approx 50 ft/lb, and 35hp. Thats not bad stock. So with the mods and a custom tune, they are telling me to expect a LOT more. Stock, they said to expect a lot more than that. So the DP and intake should do good. They say any intake that sits in the fender area where the airbox silencer is (any CAI is that way), than it is fine to run, and easy to tune for. They said SRI's are terrible. So Im glad I can keep the intake. It helped with spool up a lot, IMO. I can also step on the gas around corners and lose traction, where before, the car would lag on all corners for some reason (traction control?)

Dyno Comp will tune AP if you have Street Tuner. It pushes the cost up a little, but then you have datalogging capability, the ability to fiddle with the maps yourself, and switch maps (econo, valet, etc.) I have spoken with them at length about this, and it's the route I'm goiing. (I have AP stg II now, and have all the parts for an STI swap, if I can ever get the time to install them...)

i am very happy with my tune. It accelerates much smoother than before. I understand what people were saying about Subaru should have made the car this way stock. I am at 18-19psi, and gained about 60 ft/lb, and 25 whp. Pretty decent. It also holds boost to redline now. The power curve is so much better though, and thats the greatest difference.

I cant find my stupid camera usb to post my dyno sheets. Ill find it tonight hopefully. Ive been looking around.

I let my girl drive my car last night. We were heading up north on Cave Creek, north of the 101 in the desert. I told her to step on it all the way. She did like the third time I told her. She grabbed the wheels so hard, squinted her eyes, had the freakiest face on her, and said repeatedly, "Tell me when to stop, tell me whe to stop!" It was hilarious. It was the best boost Ive felt since the tune. With 5 people in the car, it is sooooooo much faster than just me in it before. Its nice! Im so happy.

Ill at least bring my dyno sheets on the cruise if I cant post them up. Since people will call me a noob and a liar! j/p lol. Thats how the civic websites are. Nobody believes anybodys dyno's. haha.

You are Les's friend, correct? I remember him telling me about your injectors being clogged. That really sucks. About how many miles were on them when this happened? Im gonna buy a knock sensor soon anyways, after him telling me that... Did you get aftermarket injectors, or just have Subaru fix em under warranty??

Hey guys VSB XT and I did the subi drive backwards yesterday in my leg...It was so beautiful!!!! Next weekend is supposed to be just a nice. We are in for a beautiful drive next week!! Can't wait! :) I sure do hope his XT is back from FAT in time for the drive!

You are Les's friend, correct? I remember him telling me about your injectors being clogged. That really sucks. About how many miles were on them when this happened? Im gonna buy a knock sensor soon anyways, after him telling me that... Did you get aftermarket injectors, or just have Subaru fix em under warranty??

Yup Lester is my boy, I'd say I had under 10k miles. I don't think they were clogged, they just failed internally, Subaru fixed them under warranty. I had it happen twice!!!

Hey guys VSB XT and I did the subi drive backwards yesterday in my leg...It was so beautiful!!!! Next weekend is supposed to be just a nice. We are in for a beautiful drive next week!! Can't wait! :) I sure do hope his XT is back from FAT in time for the drive!

Nice, the wifey and I found out the bbq doesn't start till 4, so she might be joining me :) We'll have to take some group photo's and some baby pictures!

Hope they all come! My son and I are riding with my hubby. :)

It'll be nice to see the Legy, but if the FXT is fixed by then, I know Virgil will be happy. I will be stopping by FAT tomorrow at lunch to get some work done :) heh.

It'll be nice to see the Legy, but if the FXT is fixed by then, I know Virgil will be happy. I will be stopping by FAT tomorrow at lunch to get some work done :) heh.

You'll like Robert, he does great work. I think Virgil is just waiting for the clutch to come in, but I'm not sure you'd have to ask him.

I would love to joing you guys but I just got word that I will be working on saturday all day and sunday I have Drivers school. I actually have to make it to this one or it's on my record. I have 6 failed attempts to take this class.

Archived