LegacyGT.com

shifting gears in a cold engine.

The colder it is the harder it is to shift........

Even with - STS, bushings, tranny mount, awesome Tranny fluid.......it was MUCH smoother and easier to get into gear, but when its below 20, I would still have to muscle it a bit until the car warmed up a lil....

Totally normal....Time for a remote start and let her warm up for a good 5 - 10 mins :D

Yup, like everyone else is saying, you've just gotta let the whole car warm-up a bit. :) The tranny is like anything else. :)

*ALL* of my vehicles have been harder to shift when cold, and my LGT is no exception.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I don't believe in "warming up" while parked. That only warms the engine, not the transmission, differentials, bearings, etc. I start and go with low revs/load. My usual commute has me going about 35mph in 4th (2000rpm) for the first few miles without stops. The engine warms up much quicker this way compared to just letting it idle.

^ +1 - Engine warms, but "nothing else."

I typically idle for 3 minutes when it's really, really cold out (i.e. below freezing). This not only gets the car's vitals moving a bit, but also MINE!!! :lol:

After that, I drive easy (unless it's an absolute do-or-die emergency) for the first few miles, until everything else comes up-to-temperature gently.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I usually wait until it gets to that first line on the temp guage. That's usually 3 minutes during the warmer months and 6-10 during these cold months. then I keep it at or below 3krpm for a couple miles and after, i'm good to go.

it gets kinda awkward when you're in a parking lot, someone sees you walk to your car, then they wait for you to move out, but you're sitting there for 5 minutes for your car to warm up, and they give you a dirty look when you leave. hahaha..

Depends on my mood, I usually try to wait for the engine to come down from 1.5k to normal idle......sometimes I can't wait......give it a 15 secs or so, blip the gas to return idle to normal......off I go.

Normally before I go to work in the AM, it warms up for a good 5 - 10 minutes, then another 10 mins on the road before I get on it hard......leaving work it's a diff story....maybe 1 min of warmup, and easy driving for 10ish

F them.......

One impatient person, make'n them wait a few mins and let them get mad

Treating your 25k + car like you would want to be treated.....priceless

I remember reading somewhere that subaru tunes their engines to run super rich while cold as sort of a choke. And gasoline tends to strip away lubrication, causing more wear and tear than normal. I'm not sure if that's 100% correct or not, but something to think about.

Anyway I usually give it a minute or so for the oil to circulate, then begin driving, staying out of boost until the engine reaches it's full operating temperature.

And for shifting when it's cold...it's definitely not easy. I have to double clutch to downshift into 2nd or 1st until the tranny fluid warms up.

^ Double-declutching seems to help for downshifts when my LGT is still "getting up to temp." :)

do you guys downshift in regular driving? like stopping at a light? heel and toe action as well? during regular driving, I really don't see the point of it, so even when i'm in 5th and have to slow down, I just put the car in neutral, let it glide a bit, then slowly press the brakes.

^ For me, it depends on the situation. :)

Like Keefe and other racers like to say, slowing the car down is the job of the brakes - and I see it this way, too.

The only CONSISTENT exception for me is when decending a steep grade. More often than not, I'll let engine-braking do the majority of the work.

Guest *Jedimaster*
is engine breaking in any way bad for the car?

I think you'll find a lot of conflicting opinions on that.

It's easier to change brake pads than a Clutch..

let the brakes do thier job.

the only imporant thing is to at least keep the car in gear, or be ready to get it into gear while braking - in case you need to make any sudden acceleration.

Must use a bit of petrol always blipping for a downchange. Makes sense when travelling through a corner, less so if coming to a stop at lights. I think the wear on the clutch would be pretty mimimal if you match the revs correctly, so there may be an argument for doing it to preserve brakes. In fact, if you end up slipping the clutch exiting the corner instead of setting up properly before it could be clutch wear is exaggerated.

I had this problem with my 2002 RS but when I switched to Penzoil Synthetic gear oil it was all happiness:) . Doesn't get REAL cold in Vancouver but normal morning temps in my garage are around 4 C The few times I have had it in the mountains during the winter with temps around -20 C it still works well with the Synthetic.:icon_lol:

My new LGT is getting the same treatment on the 1st oil change.

Archived