LegacyGT.com

Hey guys...look at the all new Hyundai Sonata

Since the Legacy won car of the year in Japan, it would make a lot of sense for Hyundai to copy the design. They even say they have "VDC" Back in the early days of Hyundai reliability, a friend of mine test drove one and the steering wheel came off in his hands. They've come lightyears from then, but still damn. -Allen

hey guys...I found a picture of all new Sonata

It seems to be a brochure pic and this picture looks very familiar

this picture looks like one of the Legacy brochure picture doesnt it?

Scary. Just add a hood scoop.

030046-Ea.jpg.dc4151186992acf98578f93bf933a733.jpg

I detect a little Volvo S40 in the hood lines and front end as well. Leave it up to the Koreans to copy everyone else's design and technology. I don't think I've seen an original design from a Korean manufacturer since their "Rennaisance". What I find funny is that my Korean friend refuses to buy Hyundai/Daewoo/Kia because he knows the history of those companies. He would sooner have an American car than a Korean made one.

Hyundai has come a long way since the "let Krazy Glue do it" Excel. They make a very nice car, albeit for a price point. The company's Sonata keeps improving, and this new one looks to be a corker. It should be a very nice car, fairly priced. Sure, it's derivative, but many cars are when you really look at them. At the Chicago Auto Show, Subaru was passing out surveys with design bits from other cars, asking respondents what they felt about those bits. I would guess the most popular will find their way onto future Subies. Heck, the Outback grille is reminiscent of the Infiniti FX grille treatment. Kevin

Ah, the Excel. It was the next big thing after the Yugo. What a lot of folks didn't know was that there was quite a bit of Mitsubishi in that model. The new Sonata looks good. Sure, it copies elements from other successful models, but that's a good strategy for any company that's trying to gain a foothold in any market. People don't buy Hyundais (yet) for their performance or cutting edge automotive design. They buy them because they offer a lot for their money. Ken

[quote]The head lights kinda remind me of the VW Phaeton. I think Hyundai also has a car that looks similar to the WRX STi.[/quote] that would be the KIA Rio! it even has gold rims. [img]http://carsguide.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,3600,268362,00.jpg[/img]

You guys are kidding, right? That sonata is incongruous, and blunt, compared to the legacy. The only thing truly similar is the photography. black cars, with 5-spoke wheels, at similar angles, with similar back drop colors. The photos are similar, but the cars are not. Sure they are both mid-compact size 4 door cars, and thus how different could they be? A sedan is limited by the hardpoints of the doors, and can only be so long. At that point, almost all 4 doors are derivative of each other. In the details, however, it makes all the difference in the world. I'd not give the new Sonata a second look after being put off by the first. but when you look at the details, especially the hood and grille, the hyundai design is much clumsier. The hood crease line above the grill seriously irritates me. The headlights are blank and generic, and look a bit "VW" and the glasshouse arch line is plain. (which is what would happen to legacy, if the rear quarter angle were gone) Who knows what the rear end of the hyundai looks like, but from what I can tell, the Hyundai is an example of what can go wrong, and the legacy, even with it's little things (i'd revise the tail lights, and tweak the grille shape and front bumper slightly, if I were the designer. not much really) is one of the best, if not the hands-down best Pac-rim sedan designs out there right now. I don't like the new accords and camrys, too. if cars can be likened to faces, a lot of these new cars look like they have had face lifts gone wrong. Their "eyebrows look like they are pulled back to their ears." The Accord is particularly ugly all the way around, and the camry is otherwise completely bland. The TSX, IS300, and maybe the G35, are the better looking japanese sedans, aside from the hot new Legacy. The Legacy has a little of that, but it is forgiveable, because the headlights are unique looking, with the droop around the low beam, and the general good design of the car. The car looks "awake". rather than sleepy/squinty/plastic surgery gone wrong...

Before I get into my Design analysis, here is a rear pic of the new Hyundai Sonata

Ok, now for my observations.

This might very well be the MOST derivative car on the markey today. I am shocked that none of the major manufacturers have approached Hyundai with their design flair. I agree with IWSS, whoever thinks that this car looks like a Legacy looks at three things, the paint (black), the wheels (5 spokes) and the background.

The stance on this car is absolutely horrible, it rides to high and the wheels poorly fill out the wheel wells. Compare this with the legacy, which I think has one of the best stances in the below $45K market, and that is with 17" rims.

The rear of this car looks like an Accord, hands down, next you have the middle section which looks like an Audi A6/Passat from the front view, and even a little bit of Mercedes E-class from the rear view. The side marker is clearly Passat, and the front is a mish mash of design surfaces capped off with some A4 look alike headlights.

I think the Koreans need to realize that they will never be taken seriously until they start some of their own original design heritage. Based on some of the Korean concept cars over the past few years this doesnt seem like too difficult a task. But until they wake up, Hyundai buyers will mostly be buyers of someone who want to buy something that looks like <insert brand name here> but doesnt have to pay for it.

I hope that once they master quality, which is what they are doing now, they will start working on design.

sonata.jpg.991ae5ff748ec4178512a0b4240fe85d.jpg

more sonata pix [img]http://www.wickedweb.org/images/vwvortex/sonata/1.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.wickedweb.org/images/vwvortex/sonata/2.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.wickedweb.org/images/vwvortex/sonata/5.jpg[/img] this white looks like a tsx [img]http://www.geocities.com/delphi557/NF_airbag.jpg[/img]

yeah...Legacy is too good to be compared to a Sonata. I m not saying the New Sonata is bad (never driven it...how should i know?)....Legacy is just too good. I posted this pic becuase i found it funny that the photographer tried to imitate the atmosphere of one of Legacy brochure pics......hyundai needs to change their photographer......one with creativity and skill

I've got money that it will have some low-tech low-output V6. I would also guess that the curb weight will be off the scale compared to the competitors.. I love the fact that Kia loves to highlight their safety rating on their new minivan, yet neglect to mention that it is also the heaviest one on the market (gee wonder why it does so well).. Oh, and it's got some 1990's technology underpowered engine..

Incredibly, despite being derivative, the new Sonata looks better than the Honda Accord :o I find the latest Accord so ugly that I suspect that Honda did it on purpose...Why?. Maybe they would not have had enough production capacity to satisfy demand if the car had been good-looking...

[quote name='godwhomismike']I actually like the new Sonata. The white pic looks kinda like it's an Audi A4. The interior is a step up from standard Korean interiors. If it was down to the Camry, Accord, or this Sonata - I'd take the Sonata. - Mike[/quote] Thank god, or mike, as it were, that the Subaru Legacy 2.5i exists. It should NEVER come down to only those three cars. I'd buy a clapped out BMW before I'd buy the honda, toyota, or hyundai new. let the "pointA to pointB" folks fight over those. For the money, in my opinion the Legacy 2.5i beats the accord, camry, sonata, 350xgwhatever, kia amanti, or whatever else the pac rim companies can put out at the 19-25k price bracket. Mazda 6, or the most recent Altima maybe a consideration, but both have a minus of being FWD. Legacy wins, hands down, for me. The Legacy GT of course obliterates that competition. That is why so many people on this forum compare the Legacy GT up to premium or euro brands, whose cars cost more, and are percieved as "higher brands".

Archived