LegacyGT.com

First oil change? What happens if you wait until 5k?

Everyone seems to talk about doing the first oil change at 3k miles.

What would happen if you waited to get it done until 5k?

I guess I don't see how it's any different from a regular change, considering the oil filter is catching all of the "metal pieces" that people often mention.

Is it because the oil breaks down faster in a new engine?

I've always been curious about this....

:iam:

had mine done @ 3k miles. Using standard oil still. Not going to switch to synthentic till after 10k miles. just my 2 cents.

Exactly what I did. I'll be switching to synthetic in the summer heat around that mileage too. Might go to semi-syth on the second change to prep.

My salesperson is a co-driver for a rally team and he was the one who suggested I get it changed at around 1k. He has been dealing with subaru engines for years so I figured I would trust him. It doesn't hurt to change it early but it could hurt to change it late:)

minimum 3K. let the seals set. especially if you switch to synthetic. Synthetic oil has smaller molecules so if your seals are not set the synthetic could get places you don't want it. or go with the Subaru maintenance schedule of every 7,500.

My salesperson is a co-driver for a rally team and he was the one who suggested I get it changed at around 1k. He has been dealing with subaru engines for years so I figured I would trust him. It doesn't hurt to change it early but it could hurt to change it late:)

early could hurt...if it's the 1st one.;)

Main thing to remember for people buying these cars new is the "break-in" time is where small particals of junk can get into the oil due to the engine warming/cooling/expanding and such. This is no different than any other car but regardless, it's good to get it done sooner rather than later.

Subaru engines are built for 300,000+ miles. I have no doubt that the engine itself will last that long. The turbo on the other hand... might not. :D

Main thing to remember for people buying these cars new is the "break-in" time is where small particals of junk can get into the oil due to the engine warming/cooling/expanding and such. This is no different than any other car but regardless, it's good to get it done sooner rather than later.

Subaru engines are built for 300,000+ miles. I have no doubt that the engine itself will last that long. The turbo on the other hand... might not. :D

who want the stock turbo for 300,000 miles anyway.:icon_bigg

minimum 3K. let the seals set. especially if you switch to synthetic. Synthetic oil has smaller molecules so if your seals are not set the synthetic could get places you don't want it. or go with the Subaru maintenance schedule of every 7' date='500.[/quote']

Forgot to mention the synthetic thing, my salesguy also recommended not switching to synthetic until about 10k for the reason above.

Main thing to remember for people buying these cars new is the "break-in" time is where small particals of junk can get into the oil due to the engine warming/cooling/expanding and such.

What about the oil filter? Its job is to collect that crap, no?

Forgot to mention the synthetic thing, my salesguy also recommended not switching to synthetic until about 10k for the reason above.

yeah...not sure how much the dealerships know. I did mine at 3.2K...switch to sythetic. One guy said wait till 7.5K, the tech said I could do it right away. heck on auto trader there are two legacy gt's for sale listed to have V6 engines. :lol:

do a search, someone on here got an "offical" SOA view on synthetic oil and when to change.

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone seems to talk about doing the first oil change at 3k miles.

What would happen if you waited to get it done until 5k?

I guess I don't see how it's any different from a regular change, considering the oil filter is catching all of the "metal pieces" that people often mention.

Is it because the oil breaks down faster in a new engine?

I've always been curious about this....

:iam:

The engine (breaks-in) during the first 1000 miles and it's imperitive to get all that worn piston/cylinder lining metal out of your circulating oil system. Most of the debris created during break in is so fine that it doesn't effectively get filtered. Since most engines are riding on about 10 microns of a film or oil give or take, one should really overdo it in the beginning. I changed mine at a shade under 900 mi., then again at 3000 mi., then again at 5849 mi. Probably too much for most people. Plus it's more costly, but it makes me sleep better knowing my oil system is completely flushed of all that crappy mineral based oil that SOA puts in engine from factory.

Archived