LegacyGT.com

Went for an amazing ride in an '03 Evo today!!!!

At the first autox event in Verona, VA with the Blue Ridge Region of the SCCA! The owner, Liam, was competing in Street Modified (SM) on R-compounds and was still running with the stock suspension (shock & springs). He was making a healthy 350+ to the wheels on the stock turbo but had performance cams and pistons installed.

On his fourth and final run, I asked if I could ride along and Liam graciously took me along. Needless to say, my breath was blown away as his car raced around the course with extreme precision. Grip was phenomenal in the turns and the stock brakes w/ performance pads nearly sent my head into the dashboard! It literally felt more thrilling than any theme park ride I've been on to date!!! :icon_tong

He ended up with FTD and finished 2nd in PAX.

http://www.brr-scca.org/02262006.htm

-Chike

P.S. On a side note, I finished 3rd in DS with my WRX TR on the stock all-season rubber. I'm definitely looking forward to having the extra money by mid-season to be able to pick up an extra set of wheels and r-compounds. I really would like to see how well my WRX will do with just better rubber and a more aggressive alignment...

P.P.S. I saw some amazing cars in the flesh for the first time today at the event - an '06 Corvette Z06, '06 Porsche Cayman S and a true jdm Nissan Skyline GTS-t!

nice..

as fast as your WRX tr is, obviously the Sti could prob. make you feel the same way as the evo did :icon_tong

I've ridden in STIs before and didn't get the same feeling - especially on the stock suspension. I mean Liam's Evo was faster around the course than several cars in the prepared classes on r-compounds with drivers that had been to nationals! He was also faster than the '06 Z06 as well as several C5 Z06's and a few C6 vettes (which were all on r-compounds).

I definitely feel my WRX TR has good potential in D-stock. Its small, nimble and has good torque off boost. I can't imagine how much better I'd do if I was on summer rubber or even r-compounds!!!!

I'll post a few pics of the event tonight. Got a few of the GTS-t and the Cayman S in the parking lot...

Here are some low res 'action' pics taken by one of our SCCA Club members.

New Saleen Mustang:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p9ee7feb1341f05eda0ba889b0477ad68/f00505d3.jpg

My car competing in D-Stock:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/pcae99e8faf000e67ee8db5738923f033/f00506b0.jpg

Skyline GTS-t

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p5e76009cd855da8baa30d93b55d50e42/f0051167.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/pc63e86c71aaab3b06cfe6de22827e952/f00502f5.jpg

Porsche Cayman S:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/pbb359c29179725a59ddf9afa2181257a/f00510b8.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p43573d29c5273b51d98d5f060a754ea4/f00500a3.jpg

Liam's FTD '03 Lancer Evo:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p9726c023616f4edc0281cf99b23b0311/f004fe41.jpg

C6 Z06:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p5b1e6525a55d89a474c5731b096c1eae/f0050331.jpg

'06 Evo MR:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/pf10e530ca3ec949911f5efb03f80be26/f0050166.jpg

Wasn't a huge fan of the wheels on that Skyline, but damn was it a beauty! :)

-Chike

wow.. cool cars. I didnt realize that the cayman S was even being sold yet.

anyhow, verona's only about 2 hours from here (i think) --- maybe i'll try and make it down to one of those events this summer. It'd probably be easier than trying to get up to fedex feild for the SCCA events, or all the way out to Bowie for the new CDC events...

good stuff! how you likin the tr?

Thanks Will. I'm really lovin' it in every way. It handles 10x better than my former SVX and I actually feel like I can be competitive with just a few changes (tires mostly) in my set-up.

Looking forward to seeing what she'll do in the 1/4 mile - I'll send you a PM when I think I'll be able to make it down to VMP...

wow.. cool cars. I didnt realize that the cayman S was even being sold yet.

Me neither. Some older gentelman was driving the car and he won the Super Stock class on his stock Michelin Pilot Sport tires (the other Z06's were on r-compounds)! I was very impressed!!!! :cool:

At the first autox event in Verona, VA with the Blue Ridge Region of the SCCA! The owner, Liam, was competing in Street Modified (SM) on R-compounds and was still running with the stock suspension (shock & springs). He was making a healthy 350+ to the wheels on the stock turbo but had performance cams and pistons installed.

On his fourth and final run, I asked if I could ride along and Liam graciously took me along. Needless to say, my breath was blown away as his car raced around the course with extreme precision. Grip was phenomenal in the turns and the stock brakes w/ performance pads nearly sent my head into the dashboard! It literally felt more thrilling than any theme park ride I've been on to date!!! :icon_tong

He ended up with FTD and finished 2nd in PAX.

http://www.brr-scca.org/02262006.htm

-Chike

I have an 03 Evo w/370whp, suspension mods, etc. It is a truly awesome machine, especially on a road course w/r-compounds.:icon_bigg I had a heavily modified 04 STi and traded it for my LGT. The STi doesn't compare to the raw edge of the Evo in anything but boring daily driving. I'm glad to hear your enjoyed it.:) Now you need to drive one yourself! (You'll want one, if you don't already:lol: )

2019021224_Mid20Ohio20018.jpg.849919c5f658721c7c343e6c9a6b01f5.jpg

I have an 03 Evo w/370whp, suspension mods, etc. It is a truly awesome machine, especially on a road course w/r-compounds.:icon_bigg I had a heavily modified 04 STi and traded it for my LGT. The STi doesn't compare to the raw edge of the Evo in anything but boring daily driving. I'm glad to hear your enjoyed it.:) Now you need to drive one yourself! (You'll want one, if you don't already:lol: )

I love the blue-by-you color! Nice looking Evo!!!

I really enjoyed the ride in the Evo, but I wouldn't say I want one. I really love my WRX TR and I know I haven't even cracked the tip of its performance potential. I'll see what my future holds, but the next time I'm in the market for a new car (probably in '08/'09), I'll probably get a more mature Subaru (i.e Legacy GT Spec B) or if I could swing the payments, get one of my 'realistic' dream cars (i.e. Porsche Cayman S, R35 Nissan GT-R). :)

I love the blue-by-you color! Nice looking Evo!!!

I really enjoyed the ride in the Evo, but I wouldn't say I want one. I really love my WRX TR and I know I haven't even cracked the tip of its performance potential. I'll see what my future holds, but the next time I'm in the market for a new car (probably in '08/'09), I'll probably get a more mature Subaru (i.e Legacy GT Spec B) or if I could swing the payments, get one of my 'realistic' dream cars (i.e. Porsche Cayman S, R35 Nissan GT-R). :)

I drove the Porsche Cayman S at the official dealer's demo day....sweet:icon_bigg

The payments were ah...less than sweet:lol: -- even with 2 cars to trade in!

The Evo isn't my daily driver, needless to say. I'm 52, but I still love driving a truly exciting car. The LGT and Evo also share a common trait that I appreciate -- you don't see many of them around. I hate to see myself at every street corner:icon_tong .

I also don't think I could bring myself to risk a brand new Porsche at the track...especially since it would be my first and probably last new Porsche. (and my wife would kill me)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/Bluesmaster/Legacy1.jpg

I drove the Porsche Cayman S at the official dealer's demo day....sweet:icon_bigg

The payments were ah...less than sweet:lol: -- even with 2 cars to trade in!

Damn, I thought you'd have to sign over your first born before they'll let you take a Porsche Cayman S out for a test drive!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What amazed me the most about that car was the balance and poise it had in the turns with minimal body roll. And the flat 6 motor made a sound that was out of this world!!!! :cool:

I'll see where I am financially in 3-4 years. An R35 GTR would definitely be my first choice though.

Gosh, I love the Evos..... :)

I've been a DSMer since when they first came out in the late, late 80s - my first "true" car was a DSM, one that stayed with me for 12+ years, from high-school all the way through parts of med-school.

With such strong DSM roots, it's no wonder that I'm a cross-over Mitsu-man, and a fan of Evos.

I actually tried to convince my wife that an Evo would not be un-doable for us as a "starting" family. But one look at its extroverted skin and boy-racerish rear wing, and it was "no, no, no." :(

It's really too, too bad. Sure, my/our "Stage II" LGTs will actually put down more power than a stock Evo MR, but at the same time, with but a single reflash, those same MRs could put down 40 more wHP and wTQ over our Stage IIs - and again, that's with no other mods.

Combine that with their handling potential....

Oh man, I wish my wife woulda said "yes!" :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^^^

Sorry to hear that your wife turned down your Evo plans. A friend of mine out in WA just bought an Evo IX MR which is being shipped to him and will arrive in a month. He's switching from a modified 5spd Subaru SVX (the SVX was my former car before the WRX) and needed to switch to a four door for family reasons - however, he was able to get his wife to look beyond the hood vent, vortex generators and huge rear wing! :D

I wouldnt know but she used to talk about his car all the time. The specs match up and dont forget the fact that im from VA and her bf's name was Liam :icon_tong

oh... and she is a pretty skinny girl. I guess the sticker holds true :lol:

Gosh, I love the Evos..... :)

I've been a DSMer since when they first came out in the late, late 80s - my first "true" car was a DSM, one that stayed with me for 12+ years, from high-school all the way through parts of med-school.

With such strong DSM roots, it's no wonder that I'm a cross-over Mitsu-man, and a fan of Evos.

I actually tried to convince my wife that an Evo would not be un-doable for us as a "starting" family. But one look at its extroverted skin and boy-racerish rear wing, and it was "no, no, no." :(

It's really too, too bad. Sure, my/our "Stage II" LGTs will actually put down more power than a stock Evo MR, but at the same time, with but a single reflash, those same MRs could put down 40 more wHP and wTQ over our Stage IIs - and again, that's with no other mods.

Combine that with their handling potential....

Oh man, I wish my wife woulda said "yes!" :)

My wife said yes!:) Not only that, but when I took the wing off and fitted the smaller stock Lancer wing, she told me to put the big wing back on:lol: . This is a woman in her 50's who goes to Mid Ohio with me and bums track rides from the fastest cars she can find.

Actually, the Evo has decent room in the back and a nice sized trunk. It's much more roomy than an Impreza sized Subaru.

An Evo IX is track ready with front camber plates/alignment, better brake pads, lines, fluid, a 25mm rear sway bar and a reflash. If I bought a new one, I wouldn't do much more to it -- maybe coilovers and r-compounds on wider wheels. It's so much fun on the track:icon_bigg .

Archived