LegacyGT.com

AT gear catch?

When I put my car in drive, it takes a couple seconds for the gear to "catch". Reverse catches instantly, but all drive gears take a couple seconds. I'm wondering if this is common for my car, because I'm used to the instant catch when engaging in drive that I had in my old Jeep GC. Tranny fluid levels seem fine, a little high if anything. If this is a problem, could anyone help me? Thanks

I've noticed this problem on my '97 GT lately, I think it might be due to the colder weather, but I'm not sure. I know I have always had the horrendous shift from first to second that will snap your spine, but now I do have that odd lag from reverse to first, or just into first where there is almost no power and then it slams itself into first and goes. I'm starting to think it might be time for a new tranny :(

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Yea thats what I was thinking too, dunno I actually havent had it happen lately. It only seems to happen for me if the car has been sitting outside over night, or its just cold out and the car has only been driven for a few minutes.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

happens to me in my 2.5i every once in a while as well..usually only when its cold out though and also when i shift into 3rd sometimes its a really harsh kick when it catches but it only does that for me when its cold..havent had it checked out cuz i know if i brought it to the dealer they wouldnt be able to replicate it and wouldnt do anything for me..i dont think its really grounds for concern however i think its only because its cold.

ok i take that back my car today was doing the not catching drive and also every time i went into reverse my car stalled out...going to the dealership tomarrow to get it looked at...it must have something to do with it being cold but the car shouldnt stall out at all

A deley in gear engagement in an automatic tran can be due to a couple of things. mostlikly, the foward clutch is wearing out. this means that when you put it in drive, the hydrolic piston has to travel farther in order to engauge the thinner worn clutch pack in the forward drum. the other possible reason is that there is a flud preassure leak somwhere in the trans. the leak makes it take longer for the the trans to build up enough line preasure to enguage the foward clutch pack. Either way, a trans rebuild is necessary, but the first cuase is usually due to trans abuse or high milage, where as the second cause is due to a faulty seal or gasket. The stalling is mostlikely due to poor preasure in the trans having 2 different gears engauged at once locking up the trans or you could have a bad torqe converter which is locking up. that would also cause a stall. If they do find a problem in the trans, you will get a new one. Subaru doesnt allow the dealer to overhaul automatic trans.

Well that sucks. I'm guessing that would be a costly transmission fix too. We spent $1600 fixing the front differential on my Jeep Grand Cherokee last summer, and I really don't want to have to spend more money on costly transmission fixes. It isn't a problem really, the only problem is the engagement. Shifting and performance is good, and I wonder if this problem will become worse down the line? I might have it checked out in the future, just not looking forward to another bill =(.

Archived