LegacyGT.com

Shell GT 100

see_obxt

Anyone here in Colorado Try this gas?I was on my way home and stopped the Sinclair off I25 and Belleview and saw they have 100 octane unledded race gas. I filled up 10 gallons. The butt dyno says it feels like a different car now. I used up 2 gallons cruising down to Castle Rock and back. I'm going to Jane for some skiing tomorrow.

If you are on the edge of detonation it'll make a difference. Without 'needing' that much octane it's a tossup. Octane is pretty much a burn inhibitor, resulting in reduced detonation if you are running too hot.

I used to burn 100/101 in my big power supra, but only at 25+ psi. From 18-24 I could burn 91, but 25+psi meant knock w/o big(ger) octane.

FWIW, we can get away with less octane at altitude.

$0.02 worth.

We ended up going up to Ft Collins, an hour or so north of Denver. Mileage on the way up was 27mpg or so noted on the mileage gauge. The same stretch of I25 had only seen 25.8 before. After liberal use of the turbo and tooling around Ft Collins, we noted around 23mpg. I will say that the GT100 gas seems to allow the car to spool the turbo a tad bit quicker and a bit more power at the higher revs. Overall, I feel my stock set up does not take advantage of the gas potential like johnAWD says above. This was just an experiment. It was interesting to find a station so close to the highway selling 100.

Once, just around $6 bucks a gallon, it's there for the speedway. Thats the only place in the nothern area of colorado to get that octane. It really wont do much, higher octane wont really improve your mileage maybe a little in performance, remember where a mile high, really the only way to see a difference would be straight alcohol injection.

I have used the Sinclair station a couple of times. I put it into my 69 Olds 442 and it really likes it! The last time was for my Pro-Tune (race map). The gas I purchased was good but the person ahead of me must have got some bad gas. His tune after was producing worse results than the regular pump gas, go figure.

I have heard from a couple of people that the station on Santa Fe has better gas but will only sell you it if you put it into a container. Cannot remember the name of the station.

Archived