LegacyGT.com

Double sided mounting tape

Legacy05

you could try the indoor/outdoor 3m double backed tape. It is black w/ red lining, a lot like the stuff that is used for the badges on our cars. I have used it all over the house and on my car and it rocks. I found it at my local hardware store (Orchard Supply and Hardware). I have also found it at home depot and Lowes.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

you could try the indoor/outdoor 3m double backed tape. It is black w/ red lining, a lot like the stuff that is used for the badges on our cars. I have used it all over the house and on my car and it rocks. I found it at my local hardware store (Orchard Supply and Hardware). I have also found it at home depot and Lowes.

Oh good god, that is some sticky stuff. I actually used it tonight to hang a couple of friends pics in his place.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I've gotta try the Radio Shack stuff... John M's words are usually wise, so I'd think that this would be worth checking out. :)

For now, though, my favorite is still the double-sided trim tape that many here have cited - it's black/grey in color, and has dual red peel-off backings.

It's market name is (3M) Automotive Trim/Molding Tape, and is an all-weather outdoor adhesive (strangely also well-suited for indoor use as it really leaves minimal residue upon removal) that is designed to hold in-place OEM/factory badging, trim, and all sorts of such important components.

Great stuff.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

3M rocks, no doubt about it. And their newest, stickiest product hasn't even hit the auto part stores yet, as far as I know - although the OEM's have been using it for nearly 2 years now. But sorry, sebberry, the new stuff does 'leave crap' on the car when you try to take it off - it's unbelievable how well it sticks. Fortunately, 3M also makes a 4" wheel that is kinda like an eraser material that will take off the residue without scratching the paint, using an electric drill. The way most OEM adhesion specs are written, the preferred failure is to have the foam core split before the adhesion fails, so half the tape is left on the vehicle and the other half on the part. OEM clear coat paint systems have been evaolving the past few years, necessitating the more aggressive adhesive.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I wasn't specifically talking about the 3M stuff.. I don't have any left, but it may leave a sticky residue, I was talking about the foam tape that leaves foam and stuff stuck to the surface.

The one that I have used is not foam, it's like a thin piece of sillicone (or something semi-transparent and rubbery and is sticky on both sides. Might leave behind some of the glue, but nothing difficult.

Where did you get your stuff from?

The Tap Plastics store near me has clear, silicone-like double sided mounting tape, 3M I think, a few milimeters thick. Red plastic backing. I have also seen it at Office Depot. That stuff is incredible sticky, I've used it to mount clear plastic lens covers on my motorcycle (tested to 140+ mph), but don't know about staining.

Archived