LegacyGT.com

over filled oil

i had my oil changed the other day and the guy said he overfilled it a bit. ~ 1/2 Qt. he said it was no big deal. on the stick, the oil level comes up just past where the stick twists. maybe a 1/4" above the full mark.

but i've noticed that 80% of the times i've started the car since then i'm hearing a noise from the passenger side of the engine compartment, just for a second right when i start the car, that sounds like lifters clicking or valves tapping.

i've also noticed a funny smell a couple of times.

could these things be related to my oil being over full? :iam:

TIA

0.5 qt overfill isn't terrible. If you have a siphon pump, you can pull a little out if you are a stickler for details, but it won't do any real harm leaving it as is. You will likely burn/consume some of it during your OCI anyways...

I seriously doubt the noises are due to the overfill, however, it may be attributed to the oil change. What weight of oil was used? If they used a bit heavier oil, and it is still cold out, you will notice a bit of noise until the oil heats up a bit. Funny smell, well what kind of smell? Raw gas smell, burning smell? It more than likely is some residual oil that hit the exhaust heat shields or engine block and subsequently burned off from when the oil/filter was changed.

Bottom line, I think you have nothing to worry about.

I've done the 1/2 quart thing too. It was my first oil change and I'm was used to throwing in 6 quarts in my Cobra... well at quart #5 I remembered... hey... this is my Legacy! A few hundred miles later I changed the oil again and put in the correct amount. Never had a problem during or since then.

Maybe you should invest in a Fumoto valve. It's great for accidents like those, http://www.fumotovalve.com/.

She changes the oil! Mine has never washed or waxed any car we've owned forget changing the oil.

She changes it sometimes when we are both there. She doesn't like changing the oil and when I am deployed. I suspect she pays someone to change it when I am not around.

She enjoys washing and waxing the car though.

Archived