LegacyGT.com

Handling & AutoX

[img]http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/turnaug2204.jpg[/img] Well, I had it out for it's first AutoX yesterday. Has about 1600 on the clock and already one oil change to get out any possible particulate during break-in. Tires on the car were Toyo Proxes 4's at about 40/40 for good rotation. I'd have to say it's a mixed bag of reactions, much due to the nature of the surface. It was blacktop, but the smooth sealer hasn't fully worn down. It was about a year old. We originally wanted the course to be big, open, flowing, and fast. I think it turned a bit more technical. I was using 1st and 2nd gear, but at almost every turn downshifted to 1st to stay in/close to boost, it was that tight! Power wasn't there until boost was due to the lower compression, I wasn't used to that coming from an N/A model. The brakes are very good, you punch that pedal to the floor, they bite, especially on flatter surfaces. There was a corner of the lot where it got really choppy, everyone had problems there, I know ABS wasn't happy about it. About the only time I've ever had ABS kick in. I know if it would have had a more grippy surface they would have bit much harder. Normal road surfaces work much better than the semi-greesy lot we have. The suspension worked fairly well, sure there was some body roll and STi springs could tune the chassis a little better, but I am fairly happy with it. I know my car won't handle like something that weighs 600lbs less and has a foot less in the wheelbase while running Hoosiers, but heh, it's not mean't to handle like that. It's a touring car. I think it would do much better on courses like Road America with big sweepers and fast surfaces. The wheelbase is more catored to that. Overall, it's tuned well, didn't have too significant of body roll and very little tire roll onto the shoulders. I think it's about .75" around the shoulder, much less than many other tires. To give it a new test, I'll have to see on a stickier course how she runs. Top times were in the :37-:39 sec range, my best was a :43, highest times were in upper :40's. What I've learned may help: I need to reduce the lag in the turbocharging system. One of the WRX guys I know doesn't have an up-pipe cat and he said it made an enormous difference in responce. A better turbo-back may make somewhat of a difference also. Tires is the biggest thing. I'm just not sure what I want to get, Azenis, or something a little more pricy like RA-1's, Corsa's, A048's or similar. I'm probably going to shoot for 17's though as it will fit a GC model if I get one for play sometime in the near future. It was a lot of fun, but I'm always looking at being more competitive. I'll probably do only one more event this year as to not put too significant of wear on these tires. BTW, I was told you can lift a rear-inside tire with the GT Wagon too. ;) Several people told me it looked fairly smooth through the course. I know different tires will make that better. Additionally, tall drivers will have their helmet nearly crunch to the roof with a fairly straight-up seat inclination to keep your belt tight. The mirror is also a little in the way at that point too when looking towards the right for the next entrance. [img]http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/brakeaug2204.jpg[/img]

Sounds like you had a good time in the legacy at the Auto-X. I to have noticed the turbo lag quite a bit. But thats what happens when you have a bigger turbo like the vf40 compared to the td-04 in the wrx. But their are deffinetly ways to get that to spool up quicker. The first being an Uppipe, that will be the biggest way to decrease spool up times. That and a downpipe will probably reduce spool up times by as much as 750 rpms, a nice big noticeable difference. Not to mention better all around power too. I really need to get a boost guage hooked up to the legacy, really would like to see how the boost acts.

so how do you feel the proxes are compared to re-92's? Have you ever used them in the winter to know how they perform? I was considering these as a compromise tire, but am wondering if I should just go for summers and winters. The downside to that is having to worry about getting caught in that early snow storm with the summers on etc...

I agree Kanos, I just have to see where I'll be sitting classwise and what will be the best classes to lean towards. There is no officially new class for the 05 Legacy GT as of yet, but I suspect it will be D-Stock and probably STX. Franz didn't show nor his pal with the new STi. I suspect they overslept. I sure slept late today (I needed the sleep after the last half of last week and this weekend.) I am used to not leading the class, although it is essentially impossible to take a class without R-compound tires. I will have them next season. It really is the only way to go.

Fantastic news Seth and great to hear that you had a great time. Im sure yr driving style and performance will only improve once you get to know the exact layout of the car. And surely it will improve out of sight once the mods start up. You will have to get Franz all set up too to arrive on time, a few friendly bets will always entice ppl to come out of their shell as I have found...... Adam.

I've got to give my Legacy on an autoX a try. My WRX runs out of vaccum assist brake late in the course because I left foot brake so much. Want to see how this car does with my driving style.

September 26th. Be there or be square! Beanboy, it's once it got really tight and I was down to some 2000-2500rpm in 2nd, first was necessary because of no power. The course was sort of irregular compared to normal flowing courses we normally have. I'm sure it would have been solid 2nd most of the time if it was a bit more like normal courses.

Im sure it didnt have anything to do with the beers consumed from the night before, it must have been the alarm clock! And from what yr saying Franz with the season closing soon, does that mean when it snows, there is no AutoX ? Adam.

We don't AutoX in the snow up here. Some places do. We just go ice racing and rallyXing. ;) I won't in this car though. Too much $$$ at stake without studs (that I won't be getting for it.) Save those two events for an RS somewhere in the near future hopefully.

Thats fair, I wasnt sure if it was still on or if there was anything over the winter period. Thanks. Totally understand what you are saying also about too many $$$ at risk and the expense for ice tyres would be huge. Have you heard any feedback from the guy that bought yr car? You might be able to buy it back when you have the bling avail... Oh and that reminds me, did u get any feedback from Prodrive re the letter u send them a few months back???? Adam.

You were in H Stock? :) My 97 Impreza "L" Wagon runs in H stock, that doesn't seem fair at all Nice pic by the way Also, #555 is the number I use for autocross as well :) -Allen

[quote name='SUBE555']There is no officially new class for the 05 Legacy GT as of yet, but I suspect it will be D-Stock and probably STX.[/quote] I would expect the 05 Legacy GT's will fall into D-Stock. STX is out of the question due to the current rules. Current rules for STX is normally aspirated engines up to 5.0L and [b]forced-induction engines up to 2.0L[/b]. The Legacy GT can be run in STU, but you'll be competing against E36 M3's, EVO's, STI's, and SRT-4's. Personally, I don't think the SRT-4's would be too much of a threat to the Legacy GT's, but you never know. The STU class is still in its infant stage, so I would expect that the cars running in this class aren't fully prepped to the rules yet.

il, they haven't asked, I haven't told. Serously though, I'm out to have fun and hone my skills and reaction time. We can have the discussion if they want to, but I won't say anything unless they ask. V, you're probably right on STU over STX, I was thinking same line as WRX probably. I'll probably just try to align it for an SP class. We'll see. I'll be staying in HS for the rest of this season anyhow. :) After this year, then we'll tally up the piggy bank against setting the car up to my spec and what I desire to do in racing. (That could just be getting an old skool RS and setting it up for AutoX/RallyX/Ice racing and leaving the GT for the street/touring events. Like I said, we'll see.

They usually come out with springs before struts. Most parts available will bump it from stock class. I'm not sure if I'm ready to bump to Hoosiers. We'll see. I may want to see what I can use for some potential special street events happening up in central wisco.

Archived