LegacyGT.com

Updates re ContiExtreme vs. Nero MS?

LawGT

The chart still gives the pilots a 'good' rating in the snow.

The Pilots are good tires. However since I was looking for an all season with good snow ability as my winter urban driving set up, I put more emphasis on the snow rating. I was seriously considering the WRs but the Conti price and local Discount Tire shop nearby sealed the deal. The Avons were also a possiblility but there were many complaints about noise once the tires had a season on them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^ 36 front and 34 rear, cold (inflated with outside temps in the high 50's). I was running 37/35 cold when filled with outside temps in the mid 30's. Thus, when the tires warmed up in the hwy drive, hot temps were 41/39 (after 25 mile hwy drive), which made the tires to stiff for my taste...

I agree with the other's about the snow capabilities of the Pzero's!

I have now put about 600 miles on my recently installed Conti-Extremes, and let me just say this.....I have no regrets switching over to these:icon_bigg !

Some key differences:

Conti-Extremes: Corner 98% as hard as the Pzero's, actually better in the wet, and ride a tad softer. Their turn in response is not as sharp as the Pzero's. They also are a notch noisier than the silent Pzero's.(when new.)

Pzero's: Very crisp turn in response, have a stiff sidewall. Marginally better than Re92's in cold winter weather. BUT, they were no better in snow, and just as horrible in frozen slushy/icy mix. Near 4-5/32 tread remaining, they started developing a humming sound, which I first mistakenly attributed to a bad bearing. It also had great treadwear...I put 43k on them! Still had a little more left, perhaps another 2-3k.

Bottom Line: Although I haven't driven the Conti's in snow yet, from looking at the tread design, they should prove to be superior to the Pzero's. If you are looking for a 4 season A/S tire the Conti's are clearly better. However, if you need a 3 season A/S, then it becomes much more favorable for the Pzero's. Only if you have rougher road surfaces, would I choose the Conti's over the Pzero's in this scenario.

Hopefully this helps someone who's on the fence...

Archived