LegacyGT.com

Updates re ContiExtreme vs. Nero MS?

LawGT

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a set of Neros. I have the 215 variety.

I don't think they're HORRIBLE in the snow. I don't think they're any better then the RE-92s in the snow. I have to be trying to push them in order to lose traction. So when they're are other people on the road and I can't get up to speed, or I'm not intentionally driving like an idiot, they grip just fine.

I found the biggest improvement is they took out a ton of the slop in the steering over the stock tires.

Neros have good grip for a street tire. If I had a G-Tech, I would have done a G reading comparision between these and the stock tires to quantify it.

I find they ride nicely on the highway.

Nero probably is the closest thing to a summer tire that you can also drive in the snow. That's why I bought them. In the end, it's what you value more, summer tire performance or winter performance. It's a compromise. I'm happy with my choice.

tirerack also did a review: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/kumho_ecsta_asx.jsp

Any other opinions?

thanks to all of you who responded.

• 6 months later...

To revive this thread....

I have decided against the Nero M+S. Flatspotting and "sucking" the the snow did them in.

Now I'm torn between the Contiextremes and the ZIEX 512's REIN (both in 225/45/17) as recommended by various people here including TSI+WRX, jim1969 and ION Performance.

I think I'm down to flipping a coin...

Not that hard of a decision. First decide on what's more important to you, snow traction or dry performance. If snow traction is more important go with Conti but if dry performance is key than go Falken.

I have decided against the Nero M+S. Flatspotting and "sucking" the the snow did them in.

Now I'm torn between the Contiextremes and the ZIEX 512's REIN (both in 225/45/17) as recommended by various people here including TSI+WRX, jim1969 and ION Performance.

I ran Pzero Nero M+S 225/45/17 on my WRX for over 40K miles. When I finally took them off to sell the car, they had 6/32nds tread left.

The winters around here have been much milder than I remembre (yay global warming!) and these did great in the wet/cold and mild snow. Not the grippiest, but they were predictable, which was a great help.

Also their summer preformance was great, prefect for daily and spirited driving, but probably not track.

Do you have a three sided coin? Add the Kumho ASX.

Ha! Good one, but no. I've read the reviews of the ASX and for some reason it just does not appeal to me. The Falken's take up the slot for the budget category.

Pretty much the only concearn I have with the Contis is the reports of out of round/hard to balance defective tires. I am very anal retentive when it comes to vibrations coming through the sterring wheel at fast highway speeds. I would get them locally, so I could get them exchanged if they are defective w/in the first 30 days or so. But some people report that the contis become "out of round" later in their lifetime...

I know two owners personally who have flatspotting issues with Conti's. This is if you consider it an issue for driving maybe a few miles in cold on "fred flinstone" tires than it goes away. I had an interest in them until I saw this as a common theme on Tirerack.com reviews(taken with large grain of salt). I have not heard of this as a common issue of Nero M+S. However the the common thing I do know about Nero M+S is superior dry/wet performance nearing par with summer tires at the expense of winter capability.

• 1 month later...

I ran across this thread while searching another topic.

The ContiExtremes (215/50/17) I bought 6 weeks ago haven't seen any snow yet but wet road performance is outstanding. This is my winter tire set so I'm hoping that because they won't see a lot of hot summer roads that they'll retain their low temperature performance characteristics. The tire is W rated, BTW.

I know you don't want anymore suggestions, but I'm going to throw one more tire in the mix, Bridgestone RE960 AS PP.

I had been trying to decide on a tire for while too and I was going to go with the Pirelli's until I saw this new Bridgestone and the reviews it was getting on Tirerack. My number 1 priority was wet performance, I'm from Vancouver and we get a bit of rain here especially the last 2 weeks. Snow is not really a concern. The Bridgestones don't have any reviews for snow yet because they just came out in the spring.

I had the RE960's installed a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier, it is a completely different car. I was expecting better wet performance, but I wasn't expecting how dramatically better they would be. Absolutely amazing, I can't wait for the next rain storm. They are so predictable in the wet, with the RE92s I had no idea when I could lose the back end in the wet, which I did a couple times. With these you can power slide out of a corner with ease. I don't have too much experience in the dry yet, but I can only guess they will be much better. The whole wagon just feels more responsive and fun to drive. I had no idea how BAD the RE92s actually were until now.

I had the same problem deciding on 215s or 225s, but the load rating was the same (91W) because the 215s are XL, so I decided to go with the stock size because I didn't want any bulging. The 960's were only about $5 more a tire than the Pirelli's, so it was well worth it. These are number 1 on the comparison list of HP all season tires on Tirerack.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about them.

Scott

I know you don't want anymore suggestions, but I'm going to throw one more tire in the mix, Bridgestone RE960 AS PP.

I had been trying to decide on a tire for while too and I was going to go with the Pirelli's until I saw this new Bridgestone and the reviews it was getting on Tirerack. My number 1 priority was wet performance, I'm from Vancouver and we get a bit of rain here especially the last 2 weeks. Snow is not really a concern. The Bridgestones don't have any reviews for snow yet because they just came out in the spring.

I had the RE960's installed a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier, it is a completely different car. I was expecting better wet performance, but I wasn't expecting how dramatically better they would be. Absolutely amazing, I can't wait for the next rain storm. They are so predictable in the wet, with the RE92s I had no idea when I could lose the back end in the wet, which I did a couple times. With these you can power slide out of a corner with ease. I don't have too much experience in the dry yet, but I can only guess they will be much better. The whole wagon just feels more responsive and fun to drive. I had no idea how BAD the RE92s actually were until now.

I had the same problem deciding on 215s or 225s, but the load rating was the same (91W) because the 215s are XL, so I decided to go with the stock size because I didn't want any bulging. The 960's were only about $5 more a tire than the Pirelli's, so it was well worth it. These are number 1 on the comparison list of HP all season tires on Tirerack.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about them.

Scott

Well, BM, I too recently became interested in the 960's. Now im torn b/w the 960's (about $150 US per) and the Contiextreme (about $95 US on sale at TR). If I get them at Discount tire locally, they will price match the TR price. So it will come out to about $700 for the 960 (mounting and tax included) and $500 for the Contis (mounting and tax incl).

According to the TR tests, the 960's were crazy good in the wet (meaning that their breaking perf. was exeptional in wet...almost the same distance that in dry!).

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/bs_potenza_re960as_pole/chart4.gif

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/bs_potenza_re960as_pole/chart5.gif

In an ice test, their acecleration on ice was nearly on par with dedicated winter perf. tires, which leads me to believe it will be okay in the winter as well.

Tire Comparision

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_blizzak_revo1_45_ci2_s.jpg

Blizzak REVO 1http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_blizzak_lm25_ci2_s.jpg

Blizzak LM-25http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_potz_re960as_pole_ci2_s.jpg

Potenza RE960AS Pole Positionhttp://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_potz_re050a_pole_ci2_s.jpg

Potenza RE050A Pole PositionTire CategoryStudless

Ice and SnowPerformance

WinterUltra High Performance

All-SeasonMax Performance Summer60-foot

Time Seconds4.65.96.17.4Traction

Index*100777562

Another major rain storm in Vancouver and these tires continue to amaze me in the rain.

Off-ramps that I would normally take cautiously in the rain are now fun and I just power through them. The only side effect is that these tires are causing me to drive way too fast in bad conditions.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/bs_potenza_re960as_pole/chart4.gif

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/bs_potenza_re960as_pole/chart5.gif

None of those tires poll higher than the Extremes on Tire Rack for snow performance which is an important caveat IMHO.

This test: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=80

indicates that the 960's had acceleration times almost on par with a very well reviewed performance winter tire, the blizzak LM-25. I know it is a very basic test, but I think it's useful to comapre each tire's traction in the worst case scenario: ice. From the similar acceleration times on ice between the LM 25 and the 960, one can deduce, at the very least, that those two tires have similar winter traction characteristics.

I have 225 Neros on my GT sedan. They are LOUD as hell now, I have had them on the car for about 15k and about 7 months. They were nice and quiet up to about the 10k mark. Now they are louder than my burned out/feather edged RE92s that I replaced after 15k. The tread is wearing very well and evenly on the Neros, however. The dry grip is excellent. The wet grip is very good. But they are HORRIBLE in the snow. They are ok in a straight line (accel and braking) but there is no lateral traction in the snow at all. I have tagged my right rear wheel into the outside curb a few times as a result. When these wear out or i get tired of the noise I will not be buying another set. For my purposes and for how these behave I would be better off with two sets of tires.

Are your PZero's the M&S? I just put them on my 05 wagon,s o I haven't had them out in the snow but good on dry/wet still.

I've had a set of RE960's for about a month now. Similiar results to others posted as to the rain, wet and dry handling. Much quieter. I am experiencing flat spotting over night, especially when cold temps, but is usually gone after a mile of highway speeds. Anyone else getting flat spotting?

Cheers,

Mike

I don't know how useful you guys will find this but I had a set of P Zero M&S on my previous car (2000 Mustang GT). I've driven these for about 30K miles and 2 winters. They are very good tires in the dry and wet, very good ride too. They are OK in the snow with a lot of thread, but once worn down a bit, they're only marginally better than full-on summer tires. Keep in mind this is on a car with 300lb/ft to the rear wheels on a very light rear end car. I appologize if this is not relevant info.

This is why I went with the contis over the pirellis. However, I might have gotten the 960s if they were available when I bought the contis.

It doesnt snow that often in NYC area, but when it does, I want to make sure that I am in a capable car. Last new years eve there was a serious blizzard.

With the Contis, the snow didnt even faze me. Felt like snow tires.

All that, and it is just as good in wet, and is still really really good in dry.

There were too many guys on here who said that the P zero neros were scary in snow and ice.

No thanx.

The tread pattern on the 960s looks a lot like the ContiExtremes though the latter is maybe a little more snow aggressive. I went for the Contis over the P zeros for the same reasons you mentioned. Good to hear about their snow performance.

I've had a set of RE960's for about a month now. Similiar results to others posted as to the rain, wet and dry handling. Much quieter. I am experiencing flat spotting over night, especially when cold temps, but is usually gone after a mile of highway speeds. Anyone else getting flat spotting?

Cheers,

Mike

I have not noticed any flatspotting...but I have barely driven them. WHat pressures are you running?

Archived