LegacyGT.com

STI Strut Tower Brace Review

kanoswrx

Well I bought a STI STB Friday and installed it that day. Install was simple took about 25 minutes. I waited until today to post a review because I wanted to test it out over the weekend. When I first got the Legacy, really one of my only complaints about its handling was the front end felt a little loose, and when going over bumps in a turn the front end felt like it jumped/flexed a little to much. Was a little unsettling, feeling the car hop like that in the middle of a turn going at a pretty good speed. Once I installed the STB and started taking corners at speed I didn't feel the loose front end anymore. It felt a lot more connected to the road when going over bumps/holes/joints in the road. I really think this STB really pulled the front end together a lot, more then I felt when doing the same mod on the WRX. I didn't really think it would be this noticeable, but for the problem that I had with the Legacy's suspension this fixed it perfectly, just made the front end a little more stable and solid. Was it worth the 235 I paid for it, I think so. It fixed my only complaint with this suspension setup, plus its an offical STI part, so its got a bling bling factor :)

I will try to remember to take some pictures of it on the car today. Also the uppipe is a STI uppipe, its not on yet as I haven't found the time for the install. Can't even find time to get it installed somewhere, haha. Will probably call some places today and see whats up. Tide, yeah if you add the part I will post the review in product reviews.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Drift Monkey']I think th 235 you spent is making your front better...not the actual bar....:P[/quote] What kinda grammer is that?1111

Let's keep on topic, please. I think that Drift Monkey is alluding to the credit card bill making someone think a mod works, rather than the mod actually working. My views on STBs are well-known, so I will stay out of this one. Kevin

I can see how most people would think 235 is expensive for a strut tower bar and its not worth the money. I would usually agree. I mean, I would rather pay 100 bucks for it. I know I paid an extra 100 bucks just for the STI brand name, but the STB is as much a suspension mod as it is a show mod. Getting a new suspension all together would have solved my issue with the legacy's front end, but its not as cheap, and deffinetly not as easy to install. Now I feel like I can deffinetly hold off on a new suspension for atleast a year (really want the spec b setup). But I can honestly say that this STB did do something to the handling. I have been going on this one on ramp with the car for a few weeks now and everytime it felt the exact same going over this two bumps in the road. Now after installing the STB the car doesn't hop as much and is more stable over the bumps. Its not perfect, but its better. Also its not like I don't know what I am talking about, I have been to the track and many auto-x's, so I tend to notice little changes more then the average person.

STBs normally don't affect your "handling" per se, what they do affect is turn-in. There's usually a little horizontal slop due to the two front strut towers leaning in at different rates in a turn. A STB links them together, and the result is crisper initial turn-in. Kanoswrx's post seems to be describing exactly that. It's not a massive difference in handling, all it does is make initial turn-in sharper and it makes the car feel more responsive as you enter a turn. So I guess whether that's worth the money to you or not is entirely subjective.

A larger rear sway bar deffinetly increases oversteer. On the WRX this was a very common mod as the WRX understeers like crazy from the factory. But the LGT is very neutral feeling from the factory, and you can easily get the backend out in a turn. Unless you get a front sway bar as well or really know what you are getting into, I would hold off on getting a rear sway bar.

[quote name='kanoswrx']A larger rear sway bar deffinetly increases oversteer. On the WRX this was a very common mod as the WRX understeers like crazy from the factory. But the LGT is very neutral feeling from the factory, and you can easily get the backend out in a turn. Unless you get a front sway bar as well or really know what you are getting into, I would hold off on getting a rear sway bar.[/quote] Oh I'm all about seeing my arse in front of my face....I came from driving a RWD. :D
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

BoxerGT2.5, seeing how you come from rwd you probably know how to handle it more then most people who come from fwd. Thats why I wanted to warn people. If you don't know what your doing the car can bite you. Also before doing any major suspension work like swaybars/springs/struts. I would say get new tires first, they will make a huge difference compared to the crap re-92's on the lgt.

[quote name='kanoswrx']BoxerGT2.5, seeing how you come from rwd you probably know how to handle it more then most people who come from fwd. Thats why I wanted to warn people. If you don't know what your doing the car can bite you. Also before doing any major suspension work like swaybars/springs/struts. I would say get new tires first, they will make a huge difference compared to the crap re-92's on the lgt.[/quote] This is a good point. I never want oversteer as a pre-existing condition of suspension tuning. That can lead to trouble in emergency situations. You might be good enough to save it, you might not be. If you have a wife or girlfriend who drives your car, she'd better be as good as you are. I like my cars on the understeering side of neutral. It makes for a nice, big envelope. As we all know, understeer is "safer" because the car will plow, instead of the back end coming around. Stock, the GT is right on the edge of that balance, which is very nice tuning by Subaru. Kevin

yeah, the legacy is setup really nice. I think with a good set of tires it will be even better as you can control the limits a lot easier. Before I traded in my WRX I had it setup perfectly for the Auto-X. I could get oversteer whenever I needed it just by giving it a little gas while in a turn, or just let off the gas a little and the back end would come out ever so predictably and fully in control. It was sad to have worked so hard on the suspension and spent so much only to give it up. But I think the legacy can handle just as well given the right mods. I think a Spec B suspension will be perfect actually.

[quote name='kanoswrx']BoxerGT2.5, seeing how you come from rwd you probably know how to handle it more then most people who come from fwd. Thats why I wanted to warn people. If you don't know what your doing the car can bite you. Also before doing any major suspension work like swaybars/springs/struts. I would say get new tires first, they will make a huge difference compared to the crap re-92's on the lgt.[/quote] I see your point. I would suggest anyone who modify's the suspension take their car to a empty lot and get a good feel for the attitude. As it can change quite a bit. I usually modify suspensions in the following steps....wheels and tires, springs and struts (coilovers), sways F&R, then start stiffening the frame. I have had good luck with springs and sways. Regardless, whatever you do to the suspension outside of sways and strut braces/underbraces...a performance alignment should be followed very soon.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='kanoswrx']BoxerGT2.5, seeing how you come from rwd you probably know how to handle it more then most people who come from fwd. Thats why I wanted to warn people. If you don't know what your doing the car can bite you. Also before doing any major suspension work like swaybars/springs/struts. I would say get new tires first, they will make a huge difference compared to the crap re-92's on the lgt.[/quote] This is a good point. I never want oversteer as a pre-existing condition of suspension tuning. That can lead to trouble in emergency situations. You might be good enough to save it, you might not be. If you have a wife or girlfriend who drives your car, she'd better be as good as you are. I like my cars on the understeering side of neutral. It makes for a nice, big envelope. As we all know, understeer is "safer" because the car will plow, instead of the back end coming around. Stock, the GT is right on the edge of that balance, which is very nice tuning by Subaru. Kevin[/quote] I have stayed away from this topic for a while becaus Kevin always tries to argue the point that the Legacy is a "GT CAR" Not a "Sports Sedan" and I think thats a misconception. I have always had gripes with the GT's supension and handeling. But that is no exuse to why this car handles as bad as it does. The rear mulitilink set up is to be praised but the over all feel is loose, and borderline shakey. My 01 GT had a STB on it and it was worlds better with it then with out it. The 05's GT suspension is borderline a embarresment. I admit my car is still on the 92's and sans any other major mod. Mainly because I am at a crossroads with the car. I am not sure that the car will ever handle like I want it to even with dumping ungodly amounts of money into it. Its there on paper when you look at the geometry and the suspension set up its self. But, I have reserves about the actul assembly of the USDM GT. I am not sure that the our buddy's in Indiana did a good job. I don't entirely blame my GT's poor handeling on FHI..but possible inherent build issues with the USDM. B4_Maniac

The AWD concept isnt a new one but for ppl that have come from either a fWD or RWD package, the AWD seems like it has endless grip. The AWD will always get the power down better and have better all round grip than any RWD or FWD but let me tell you, once you loose that grip on a corner in a AWD, there isn't much you can really do to get it back, you become the passenger. Adam.

[quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='gtguy'][quote name='kanoswrx']BoxerGT2.5, seeing how you come from rwd you probably know how to handle it more then most people who come from fwd. Thats why I wanted to warn people. If you don't know what your doing the car can bite you. Also before doing any major suspension work like swaybars/springs/struts. I would say get new tires first, they will make a huge difference compared to the crap re-92's on the lgt.[/quote] This is a good point. I never want oversteer as a pre-existing condition of suspension tuning. That can lead to trouble in emergency situations. You might be good enough to save it, you might not be. If you have a wife or girlfriend who drives your car, she'd better be as good as you are. I like my cars on the understeering side of neutral. It makes for a nice, big envelope. As we all know, understeer is "safer" because the car will plow, instead of the back end coming around. Stock, the GT is right on the edge of that balance, which is very nice tuning by Subaru. Kevin[/quote] I have stayed away from this topic for a while becaus Kevin always tries to argue the point that the Legacy is a "GT CAR" Not a "Sports Sedan" and I think thats a misconception. I have always had gripes with the GT's supension and handeling. But that is no exuse to why this car handles as bad as it does. The rear mulitilink set up is to be praised but the over all feel is loose, and borderline shakey. My 01 GT had a STB on it and it was worlds better with it then with out it. The 05's GT suspension is borderline a embarresment. I admit my car is still on the 92's and sans any other major mod. Mainly because I am at a crossroads with the car. I am not sure that the car will ever handle like I want it to even with dumping ungodly amounts of money into it. Its there on paper when you look at the geometry and the suspension set up its self. But, I have reserves about the actul assembly of the USDM GT. I am not sure that the our buddy's in Indiana did a good job. I don't entirely blame my GT's poor handeling on FHI..but possible inherent build issues with the USDM. B4_Maniac[/quote] Then it's entirely possible that you got a bad one, which is not outside of the realm of possibility. But every review to date has lauded the GT's handling. Enthusiasts from other Subaru boards who went to the ride and drive lauded the GT's handling. The one video of the guy, talking calmly about what he was doing at 120 mph while at Las Vegas Speedway was also quite illustrative. Were the suspension as bad as people assert, there is no way that would have been possible, nor would there be a conspiracy of silence, to hide a horribly-suspended car. And no, I say that the GT is precisely that, not a sports car. Sports sedans can be GTs, indeed. The Legacy GT is. But a sports sedan is different from a sports car, as we all know. I know of very few people who would classify the GT's suspension/handling an "embarassment," as you do. I would head off to my dealer, to make sure that everything is up to spec, as it sounds as if something is wrong with your car. It could be alignment settings, could be caster or toe settings being kerflooey...it could be any number of things. I'm not sure what you were initially after or expecting from the GT that leaves you so disappointed. It is never going to be a sports car. That isn't its mission in life. You can make it ride like one, but you can't make it handle like one. That's why you can schlep friends around in the GT, with their luggage in the trunk, and take a 350Z or 911 out to the track. It's the GT vs. sports car difference. Other LegacySTi board members also have very good things to say about the car's handling. In my case, I happen to not think it needs a thing, except nicer rubber, which I have done. But it handled pretty darned well even with the RE92s on the car. Seriously, I'd say that something is wrong with your ride. Kevin

BTW - one reason you may not want "rwd"-like oversteer in the Legacy via a rear swaybar upgrade is because it has one factor that RWD doesn't - the front two wheels being driven. Even when you do get it drifting, you don't want to be doing the major countersteer effort to correct - in fact, you need to keep those two front tyres pointed in where you need to go, because once the car gets the grip back, it's going to shoot exactly where those fronts are pointed, and it will do it rather dramatically. And if you were (naturally) countersteering with the fronts pointed at the guardrails.... Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

I don't think that the car is a Lemon. But, I have suspected that there is something not right with the front end. But, if I remember correctly, my 01 GT had the same feel. I brought it in many times to have it checked out and the car re-aligned. But, the shakey feel never left the vehical UNTILL I upgraded the rubber and but the STB on it. Then it felt more perseise. My woes and handeling complaints could disapear with these simple up grades but, I am concerned that they may not. I don't have faith in the Indiana plant just yet..and there could be something that they did or did not do to contribute to my complaints. Or, my next assumption is that its the USDM suspension and its settings. In regards to the U.S reviews of the Legacy, they have all been in USDM Legs so when you compare the 05 Leg's supension to the prior models...its easy to be impresed. It is the best set up in recent years for the USDM. But its not the best over all set up across the model line (world wide). I can almost put moneyon if you put a USDM Leg and a Spec A JDM Leg on the track the JDM model will get the better time. The long winded point that I am trying to make is that we did not get the best option available as far as shocks and springs go..and additional support from a FSTB + RSTB and Sways could raise the capabilites of the car. If that solves my problems, I will smile and go about my happy way.. I just hope that my problems are not deeper than those items can fix. B4

If you really want a good handling car I would say get the Spec B suspension or some Coilovers, then it will handle more like a sports car :) Out of the box, I really think the car handles better then a WRX. Its just so smooth and flowing through the twisty roads that I have driven through many times in the wrx.

Archived