LegacyGT.com

What to expect from timing belt service..

I am the first owner of a 02 Subaru Legacy GT/Limited w/ a 5 speed trans. The car has 109,000 miles on it and runs real well. I've done all the service on it except for the belts that I'm about to have replaced by a Subaru dealer in Wilkes-Barre. I'm getting 28 mpg driving the NE extension of the PA Turnpike from Mountaintop to Allentown on a daily basis.

The reason I'm writing is to ask what I should expect when I get the timing belt replaced? How expensive will this be? Should I insist that the water pump be replaced? I would appreciate any advice you can offer?

Thanks

g

I had mine done recently. The regular 100K is supposed to run about $900. The belts alone ar over $100 for parts. With that mileage and you are happy with how it is driving I wouldn't have the valves adjusted. I have not had mine adjusted yet but really need to. If you are interested you might by a lightweight crank pulley not underdriven. This is supposed to allow the engine to rev a little quicker and it really won't cost much to install since they will be in there already.

Ned

Archived