LegacyGT.com

Sound deadening / noice reducing this weekend

wcbjr

Just wondering if people would want pictures? :D

I've got 50 sq. ft. of B-Quiet Extreme sitting in my garage and planning on going to the hardware store and getting a hefty amount of cheap carpet padding. If there's room in side the door panels, the entire surface area will be covered with the Extreme with a full layer of padding on top of it. If I have enough Extreme I will attack the inside of the door. The trunk lid will be completely covered in both as well, space permitting. I'm not sure about the trunk floor, I might leave that alone.

The only question I have is the rear deck. Do I want to apply both the Extreme and the padding, or just the Extreme?

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

50 feet is plenty. I did 2 layers on the door frames and three on the skins + 3-4 in the spare tire well and had extra. I didn't bother pulling the seats and carpet out to door the floor pan though...that's 10x more work.

Most of my road noise comes from around the windows. But when I decide on my speakers, I'll be deadening the doors. I have a big roll of second skin I've never used, so I might as well... right?

I think most of my noise is coming from the seals around the doors. Could be the windows I suppose. I haven't worked with dampening materials much but am under the impression that several layers (1-2) are more effectively sonically than just using a patchwork like the sticky recommends.

Another thought - and again this is in theory - is that dampening your rear deck my not be a great idea if you've got subs in the trunk trying to get thru. I've never liked the idea of having the subs trying to punch their sound thru the back seat, even tho bass carries very well it's the sonic equivelent of putting a pillow over a speaker. I think by dampening the rear deck you're just sealing off the subs even more.

Anyone with solid experience here should sound off - PGT??

I am going to completely cover the doors and trunk lid with deadening and carpet padding. The rear deck I am going to crosshatch with deadening and stuff a little foam in there to make the deck cover not rattle.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Ever hear/feel a dump truck outside while you are inside a building?? Bass below 50 cycles or so will not be impeded by extra dampening on the rear deck. Above that, yes. A properly designed sub-bass system will use a x-over point between 50 and 100 (tops), so you aren't hurtning anything.

That being said, getting bass in a BMW or Mercedes is a bitch because of all the sound-deadening, seat structure and limited pass through. Bass in a vehicle is all about pressure....if the trunk is sealed too well, than the pressure the driver creates is confined to the trunk.

Balance your sound deadening with how much bass you need.

Archived