LegacyGT.com

Coupe Legacy Sti ?

I want a Coupe Legacy Sti  

47 members have voted

1. 1. I want a Coupe Legacy Sti

• Yes - I want only 2 doors
    • No - All Legacy's should have 4 doors
    • A Coupe should be available for those who desire it

You mean sort of like this... [img]http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/CARS/redconceptlegcoupe.jpg[/img] [img]http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/CARS/redconceptlegcoupewing.jpg[/img] [img]http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/CARS/whiteconceptlegcoupe.jpg[/img] [img]http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/CARS/blackconceptlegcoupe.jpg[/img]

Oh and I'd say the poll is a little biased. I think it would be a great addition of a Legacy Coupe to the lineup to compete with the Accord Coupe and Solara and similar, but I think 4-doors is the most important part. So I'm in the middle of both of those. I love my 4-doors but I also think there should be a coupe model.

How about a 2-door wagon :D A little more seriously, I've felt for a while (since the '84 GL coupes) that they should have a coupe. Now would be perfect timing with the perfect product. All the other premium brands have one. They could make it more aggresive with a lower roof line, something like the M3 (at least until Mr. Bangle ruins that, too). Steve

I'm glad you enjoy them. :) I think it really is another potential growth area for Subaru. Maybe 15-25k units worth, who knows, but I think that is definitely an untapped market for them that should be persued, particularly with the new fit and finish of the Legacy to take on that more fickle crowd.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']The white coupe looks sweet.. except for the characature of the hood scoop. That's a little too much on my sleeper :lol:[/quote] I agree, it looks a bit big, but they're just photochops, not too bad ones at that though. I have alerted SOA to the presence of these pics in hope they take notice of a new idea. Its rather doable with the current sedan chassis.

I wish when it was chopped they left it about an inch to inch and a half lower than stock with the factory hood scoop. But it's a bit more concept-ish than real in that note. None-the-less, badass. The black coupe concept really is sleek looking. :P

I think the poll needs to be changed. I would LOVE to see a coupe, but I wouldn't want it to be produced at the detriment of not receiving an STi 4 door (or wagon). So I'll not vote for now since I can't agree with either. I'd hate to see something like the 3 series with only the 2 door as an M3, but at least BMW is coming around to offer a 4 door M3 once again on the next generation.

Aside from a hypothetical STi, a Legacy coupe would be in the 20-30k market. The Solara, Accord Coupe are about the only ones in that range, though I would compare a Legacy GT coupe more against an RX8 or G35 coupe. They could definitely sell more coupes than Baja.

[quote name='PPower']I think the poll needs to be changed. I would LOVE to see a coupe, but I wouldn't want it to be produced at the detriment of not receiving an STi 4 door (or wagon). So I'll not vote for now since I can't agree with either. I'd hate to see something like the 3 series with only the 2 door as an M3, but at least BMW is coming around to offer a 4 door M3 once again on the next generation.[/quote] And that's why I won't vote on this poll, it's like voting straight party in an election when there is a good group of candidates on both sides of the ballot for various races. I've said it all along, the $20-30k range is where this car would hit the streets. It would possibly start in a GT trim and end out in a 3.0R trim, regardless, it would still sell as a sports coupe. And that would be the idea. Indeed better than the Baja, particularly in southern areas.

• 6 months later...
Off-topic from another thread, should be in this thread... [quote name='wunderkind']Subaru's coupes don't sell too well. Look at the SVX and RS coupe. Think of Subaru, think of utility. :D[/quote] One word: Looks. The legacy photochops here look great. The SVX was a cool car, but it looks spacey. Especially now. it looks like an 80's concept car for "1999!" Mechanically very cool, though. It was a bit big. 2.5 RS. Those who know really like this car. I think it got hampered by looking so much like a base impreza. a little to "econo-box" looking, even though it was much more than that. The coupe market is fickle. Mercedes is canceling it's C-class coupe. What is Toyota coming out with? Scion TC. With the supercharger it is almost a direct ripoff of a C230 Kompressor coupe, with a normal trunk, a volvo front end and BMW "eyebrows." The celica, which I though was a decent looking car, but also wrong-wheel-drive, is almost passe already. The coupe market is tough. Witness what happened to the RX7, 300ZX, and Supra. Extremely good cars, but a little bit of over-pricing due to tarriffs, and fickle SUV fad followers, got them canned. A subaru legacy coupe would fit in the market nicely. 250hp and torque, wedge shaped, normal/low-ride height good looks, a real hood scoop, AWD, and a 6MT (need it in that market, if only for marketing parity) It would be cheaper than the old japanese sportscars were, and even cheaper than an RX8 or G35 coupe for the options. With the sedan's good looks, and a shorter, fastback profile I think it would be much better looking than most, and on par with the G35 Coupe. Less " juvenile American badass" than GTO or Mustang, and "less in-your-face new design language" than the RX8. Less boxy or rounded than the Golf or TT. Legacy is Sporty and dignified, as I said before, and a coupe would be, too. For Subaru's reputation for utility, The kicker: rear quarter suicide doors, and a hatchback, with fold flat rear seats. Utility in sport-coupe form. I think it is time that companies try the coupe/sedan/wagon common model again. Like the 55-57 chevy coupe, sedan and nomad, and several other cars that had all three body styles. I think the AMC eagle concept can make a full comeback as the Legacy/Outback line. Legacy coupe, sedan, and wagon, and the higher-riding outback sedan, wagon, and "Baja" truck-thing. The difference would be much higher performance and THE LOOKS! :D the only model really missing right now is the coupe. But for the love of pete, don't do an Outback coupe. a lifted coupe just looks too weird. The Eagles were ugly, slow, poorly assembled, and too tall, and suffered from AMC's throes of bankruptcy, an buyout by chrysler. The Legacy is normal car height, much faster and better handling, and very good looking. the Outback is tall, but still much better handling, more powerful, and much better looking. There is a light-year between the quality of that old clap-trap, compared to the new hotness. All the things wrong with the Eagles, could be, or already have been solved by Subaru. The overall concept was not wrong, It just hasn't been executed properly yet. Subaru is the only company who can do it properly, IMHO.

I added an extra part to the poll to make it a bit less biased as I couldn't even vote right. I don't want a coupe, but I think one would be good for Subaru and could sell well as you described above. I seem to see enough Accord and Solara coupes around.

Archived