LegacyGT.com

Members with MINI COOPERS please chime in

I'm helping my sister shop for a Cooper S. I'm definitely into cars far more than she or her husband will ever be, so I've made it my quest to be as informed as possible.

I remember seeing several profiles here that included Mini's as second cars. Just looking for feedback on good forums, recall info, that sort of thing. Thanks in advance.

ignore him, he'll go away.

i had a cooper s then traded it in on the legover. didn't spend a whole lot of time on the mini forums as there's probably as much crap to wade through on those as there is on nabisco, if not more. but it's a good car - my gf is thinking about getting one.

I sold my Beemer in favor of buying a second Mini. :woowoo:

As soon as I get done paying for the wedding that is. ;) I am convinced if I buy one that I won't mod it. Famous last words :laugh:

My folks have a cooper s (john cooper works edition) convertible. The car has some serious low end torque and pop. The heated seats are rediculously hot.

A feature that I don't like is when you open the door from within you have to open twice it before it unlocks (u get used to it)

The upgraded stereo system is pretty nice. I love the layout of the dashboad. They have had no recalls/maintenance issues, that i know of.

Great car, not sure about driving it year round, i'd still want to have awd. I am told if you put some nice snow tires on a mini they are a tank.

-Ben

We have Nokian WR's on our MCS-C and I still would only drive it if absolutely necessary. As for the double-clutch on the door handle, that's common on all BMW's and a safety feature. I have read that the dealer can reprogram that, but we haven't bothered.

earlier mini's had dbw issues didn't they? hesitations and the like? no doubt largely done away with by now, but something to keep in mind if you are looking at early models. the regular cooper has no powerband, but it is actually fine cruising on the highway and still a blast to drive around the twisties.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

the issue with buying a used MINI is that resale is very strong. Make sure you do a TCO comparison against a newer used model and possibly a brand new model. With higher interest rates and strong resale value on a used model, it might not cost much more to get a new model with a warranty. Seriously.

I intended to buy a second, used, stripped down MC or MCS for me as a commuter car....I soon realized I would be paying almost the same for a new one. MINI is among the top five in resale value in the country.

I can understand having a mini here in Europe, but in the states, they just aren't practical... so for those of you who have them... why?

it's a chick car... aka "cute" ;)

actually though, the one I drove around had more room in the back seat and trunk than my mom's VW convertible bug. So it's not entirely un-practical.

I'd be interested to get one for the same reason it'd be fun to have a old miata sitting around... Just a neat, small, light car that would be fun to rag on and do some spirited driving in. (i'd rather have the miata though, and use it for autox)

Until you drive one, you won't 'get it'. Drive it....it's a freaking go-kart - no bushings between the steering rack and the suspension - it's got great feedback. My fiancee had a WRX wagon and sold it to get the Mini. She's been happy about teh decision every day since - we have the LGT for times when we need to have passengers. The dogs fit in the back of the Mini perfectly.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/Tobert.jpg

Great car, not sure about driving it year round, i'd still want to have awd. I am told if you put some nice snow tires on a mini they are a tank.

-Ben

snow tires would help quite a bit...the low center of gravity helps too i bet

but they may be in trouble with more than 6 inches on the groung sue to little clearance.

Other problems with the mini are....loud exhaust and crapppy/harsh shocks

and i hate the seats...very uncomfortable.back seats are useless.

other than that its a feature packed car for the money and handles well...!

i'd get a scubie anyday.....or a S2K or a Saturn Skyy

why aren't they practical? fold the rear seats down and there's a good amount of room. i could tow a trailer with two motorcycles averaging 75 mph and still get 24 mpg. had a set of blizzak ws50's and no problems in the winter. parking it in nyc or hoboken was great - i could squeeze into spots that other cars wouldn't even look at.

the stock dunlop sp5000 runflats were TERRIBLE. think re92 but worse.

i could squeeze into spots that other cars wouldn't even look at.

while that is definitely true, I find the legacy much easier to park - I think you can get a greater angle with our wheel at full lock or something...

:confused:

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Other problems with the mini are....loud exhaust and crapppy/harsh shocks

and i hate the seats...very uncomfortable.back seats are useless.

loud exhaust?? Some people like it that way. Heck, my fiancee loves the MillTek exhaust I just installed for her and it's louder than stock. :icon_tong

Crappy shocks?? Subaru could only wish to get the tuning this good. Right balance of stiffness to ride comfort for a sports car - if you wanted a Caddy ride, don't buy a MINI.

Archived