LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy 2.5GT

Dino_Martini

Well, after looking into a few cars (Audi A4, Volvo T5, BMW 330, Acura RL) I think I have chosen the Legacy over all them. Now, I have a few questions.

What is the matience schedule/cost like? Is it less than the cars listed above? more? How reliable is the Subarua Legacy? Is there any major recalls I should look for in the 2005 model year?

I need to make a choice between Wagon and Sedan. My local Dealer has an 05 Legacy 2.5GT, 5 speed manual for $33,950...Canadian. (Thats about $29,000 US I think) It was their demo model, has 5000 kilometers on it. Is it a bad idea to buy the demo model? Its pretty much loaded from the feature sheet our sales guy gave us. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a brand new one?

Thanks for the input!

even in US dollars the price seems way to high for an 05 demo. Guys are getting brand new leftover 05s in the 23-25K range US.

As far as the rest of your questions, if you search you will find alot of threads on these issues.

I have searched and I cant find one thread on the questions I have...weird

Don't bother with a high mileage demo. Dozens of people learning the clutch and shifter, testing the limits, etc. A used car with 5000 miles would have a single driver putting those on.

A plane ticket to Seattle is only $128 CDN, so just buy a new US one for maybe $31,000 CDN after fees and GST. And that is for a LTD version, sunroof and leather and all.

Price for the LGT in Canada is much higher than in the US. Bad idea on buying here taking back there.

Major $$

As far as maintenance goes the Subaru will be the cheapest of the 5 brands mentioned in the long run.

If on the other hand you get another car every 4-5yrs 50-60k....BMW maintenance warranty in unbeatable;)

As far as style goes.....one thing to consider......wagons usually hold it's value better:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Price for the LGT in Canada is much higher than in the US. Bad idea on buying here taking back there.

Major $$

As far as maintenance goes the Subaru will be the cheapest of the 5 brands mentioned in the long run.

If on the other hand you get another car every 4-5yrs 50-60k....BMW maintenance warranty in unbeatable;)

As far as style goes.....one thing to consider......wagons usually hold it's value better:)

Dino is in Calgary, Canada, as am I. Not sure where you are located. Definitely makes no sense for an American to buy a Canadian Subaru right now. But for us Canadians, the US Subaru's are a bargain relative to buying here in Canada.

The BMW's are a nice alternative, if pricey.

"Whatever" on the fear of a demo vehicle.... I wouldn't worry that much about it. You should take it for a good test drive to be sure, but if it drives fine and there are no glaring issues that you notice then you should be fine. Remember, its still got fat bumper to bumper warranty left if something should fail. I bought my car, a demo '05 GT non-limited regal blue wagon with 5K miles from Nate Wade Subaru in Salt Lake City in November. Its been completely flawless since day one. I do think that the price is pretty high that you've been quotes however. I got mine for $21,770 U.S.

The LGT's seem to be more expensive in Canada than in the USA, so I don't know if that's a good price or not. I know that you can't necessarily buy a car in Canada and get it registered in the USA without a lot of hassle, but I don't know how easy it is to get a US-bought car registered in Canada. If that can be done, you could probably do better by buying in the USA.

I bought a demo with 900 miles and have had no problems with it.

As for the maintenance costs, I pay around $28 for an oil change at my local dealer, and I paid ~$160 for the 15K mile service (in U.S. dollars, of course). The manual recommends oil changes every 7,500 miles, but I am getting them done every 5,000 miles.

A plane ticket to Seattle is only $128 CDN, so just buy a new US one for maybe $31,000 CDN after fees and GST. And that is for a LTD version, sunroof and leather and all.

The LGT's seem to be more expensive in Canada than in the USA, so I don't know if that's a good price or not. I know that you can't necessarily buy a car in Canada and get it registered in the USA without a lot of hassle, but I don't know how easy it is to get a US-bought car registered in Canada. If that can be done, you could probably do better by buying in the USA.

I think a simple phone call could most likely answer these concerns. I have a family friend who has bought many a car in Canada and transfered it down here for about $700 a car (that replaces the speedo in a '00 Civic Si) before taxes/document fees/etc... Call a dealer in your area to find out about international licensing and then call a dealer here (I recommend Carter Subaru in Seattle BUT only speak to Joe Spitz the interent guy, he's their go to guy). I'm sure they've done it before and if not, just call your local licence dept. and ask them. I think Jim's idea about a $130 plane ticket is great one. Then you get a nice ride back through WA state. Although, now that I think about it, try finding a dealer in Spokane, WA and make your trip even shorter. It'll all take some research but could save you $1,000's!!! Good luck!

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Speedometer mod (change out to make it all KM based, although it's not that hard to read it when the MPH is on top like theUS versions.) You would also have the trip meter to worry about if you wanted it in Km's per liter or however it's done up there. Just try calling a dealer and seeing what they say. It won't hurt and it'll give you a good idea of where to start. :)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

There is a very good thread in the Canada Region forum, that describes the import process in detail. There are two of us Calgarians who have posted there about doing this.

There is a bit of paperwork and planning, but no modifications are needed. You can service your car at any garage you like in Calgary not just one of the two subie dealers (who would be quite happy to have your service business). Warranty work can be done through the two dealers, they just charge it out to SoA, not SoC.

The cluster costs about $800 CDN to change to Canadian spec, but it's not really worth the bother.

Archived