LegacyGT.com

Noisy cold start 2005 Outback LTD

I've owned the 2005 Outback LTD for a few weeks and have noticed a cold start situation that sounds raspy like the engine is running without oil. It goes away after about 20-25 seconds. The dealer reports numerous complaints but states this is normal and part of this year's zero emissions design?? They said that if I tap the gas once after the car styarts, the noise will stop right away (I'll try this tomorrow AM). I can't believe that a designer would have let this fly. Anyone else out there hearing this?

Guest *Jedimaster*
Is this your first Subaru by any chance? It sounds to me like the normal sounds of the boxer engine- nothing out of the ordinary. BTW, it's not a zero emissions car, so I don't know what your dealer was trying to feed you.

When I had my WRX it would allways sound kinda bad when it started in the cold winter weather. But everyones WRX sounded like that so I knew it was normal. I bet your sounds are normal too, if it goes away once it warms up you should be ok.

Well this morning cold start (it's 80 here today) I tried the trick of stepping on the gas immediately after starting the car and sure enough the raspy grating sound stopped immediately. Note that it would have automatically have stopped after about 30 seconds. It seems odd that the engineers would noisy up the car and not simply provide for an automatic "kick down" that would accomplish the same thing as me stepping on the gas. I don't hear other new cars that require special instructions for starting!

• 3 weeks later...
This is my first subaru. I'm glad I read this post before I started thinking something was wrong with the car. I've owned Hondas and Nissans up until now. Hondas have valve chatter when cold and when idling. Nissans are very quiet when idling and during cold startup...except when you mess with the intake and exhaust...then it makes all sorts of funny noises.

• 3 years later...

Yeah, glad to have found this too. Hopefully this applies to the 2008 base model outback I bought yesterday with 6500 miles!

Kinda freakly...sounded like whirrling belts. Sounded CRAPPY. Then, like magic, it was gone in 30 seconds...sounded just like a 2007 Forester I used to have.

I LOVE this car!

kelly

Archived