LegacyGT.com

Whats the most smog legal power?

From what I've read it depends on how they do the emissions testing.

In Maryland, they do a ODB II test on any cars equiped with it. Any cars without, they run the sniffer test.

My '01 Cobra was running 0 cats and I had o2 simulators installed. When they tested the car, it passed with flying colors. It sure didn't smell like it should have though.

Let me eliminate the "too many factors" dilema and see if anyone can offer some advice.

I do not want to change any exhaust componnets on my car. I am interested in chip, intake, possibly larger intercooler. My question, as intended above, is....What can I bolt on(more or less) that will not alter the emmisions profile and get a fail at inspection time, and give me more torque.

Clear enough for you Ishmael, I mean firedawg?

Thanks for any helpful posts,

Rjoeser

I do not want to change any exhaust componnets on my car. I am interested in chip, intake, possibly larger intercooler. My question, as intended above, is....What can I bolt on(more or less) that will not alter the emmisions profile and get a fail at inspection time, and give me more torque.
SOA will be selling a new intake for the Legacy GT in about a month. They claim it increases torque on a stock STI by 10 lb-ft. It'll be CARB-legal (i.e. have an EO #) and can be installed by a Subaru dealer (i.e. not "for off-road use only"). But the best thing about it is that it won't jeopardize your SOA warranties.

The most obvious (to me) would be more turbo and more injector capacity, in tandem with less restrictive exhaust plumbing.

Eliminate the cats in the uppipe & downpipe, keep a 3" highflow cat in the midpipe, crank the boost up & hang on. My last car passed in Colorado (smog nazi heaven) with a similar setup. Big honkin turbo, big injectors, free flowing exhaust, single inline cat.

But, w/o altering the exhaust plumbing? The stock setup is pretty restrictive, and is going to limit you. An ECU tune or piggyback(s)/MBC will let you alter the boost/torque curves somewhat.

Archived