LegacyGT.com

What Have You Replaced the RE92's With and Why?

brad21

[quote name='jedimaster'] Is this something tire dealers are known to do? I'd like to trade my stockers in on a set of dedicated snows.[/quote] Definitely yes.In fact, I got a set of take-offs on my previous car for a very good price. What helps the price (which is is negotiable) is that the RE92s will have less than 20 miles on them. The more miles....the lower the trade-in price.
Ron

[quote name='SUBE555']I personally wouldn't do CEC's on this car. I had them on my last car. While they do faily decent in snow, they are really not much better in handling than an RE92 and squeel around EVERY corner.[/quote] Personally, I like the comment on the 911 list that I'm on: "All-Season tires Should Be Called No-Season Tires" FWIW, I have Nitto 450 Extremes on my summer-only 911, and they are great in the wet. Folks in my other car club also love them in the winter. In my other car club, there have been good comments on the Contis in the winter. This also matches the Tire Rack Survey responses. One of the "key" issues is that the Contis are one of the newer silica-compound tires, which are not supposed to get hard as they get old. My wife's '95 Del Sol came with RE92s, and they sucked. Also, look at the Tire Rack RE92 Survey....one of the lowest Survey averages. FWIW, I have Yoko ES100s on my other car ('94 SHO MTX) that does very well on the track with them (I've done three tracks with them....Blackhawk, Gingerman and Thunderhill) and will consider them as my summer tires. I have also had Pirelli 7000 Supersports, which are also a great all-season tire. One of the considerations for P Zero Neros are that they are all-season, silica compound, and Pirelli tires are also quite light. It's just that the early Tire Rack survey is not very good for the P Zero Neros, and the Discount Tire guy (who seemed to be up on his performance tires) liked the Contis better. Ron
Ron

[quote name='SUBE555']I personally wouldn't do CEC's on this car. I had them on my last car. While they do faily decent in snow, they are really not much better in handling than an RE92 and squeel around EVERY corner.[/quote] I don't give a flying fork as to whether they squeal or not.....it's how they stick. Squealing has more to do with the corner tread design than anything. As Terry, our Skip Barber instructor says: "A squealing tire is a happy tire"!! Ron
Ron

Ron, I'm not trying to get you POed at all, I'm just saying, it appeared you were more into a performance A/S. The CEC's I had were decent in the snow until they got heat cycled about 3X (AutoX's that I felt too lazy to bring other tires along for) and then they were only so-so on the white stuff. Those were 205/55R-16 size. The 215/45R-17 may be a bit better, but the sidewalls are fairly soft if you are going to Gingerman, Blackhawk Farms, and others with this tire. They do roll the edges easily (my Proxes 4's roll about 1/3 to 1/4 my Conti's did at about 42psi with the Toyos at a few pounds less per.) Now, if you don't track them and heat cycle them, they should be a decent cool weather tire. They do squeel, but give enough time prior to breaking to warn you and when they do break, it it very progressive, which is a good thing. They're a decent tire, just not really a performance tire IMO as I have owned them and my mom still has them on her RS.

[quote name='SUBE555']Ron, I'm not trying to get you POed at all, I'm just saying, it appeared you were more into a performance A/S. The CEC's I had were decent in the snow until they got heat cycled about 3X (AutoX's that I felt too lazy to bring other tires along for) and then they were only so-so on the white stuff. Those were 250/55R-16 size. The 215/45R-17 may be a bit better, but the sidewalls are fairly soft if you are going to Gingerman, Blackhawk Farms, and others with this tire. They do roll the edges easily (my Proxes 4's roll about 1/3 to 1/4 my Conti's did at about 42psi with the Toyos at a few pounds less per.) Now, if you don't track them and heat cycle them, they should be a decent cool weather tire. They do squeel, but give enough time prior to breaking to warn you and when they do break, it it very progressive, which is a good thing. They're a decent tire, just not really a performance tire IMO as I have owned them and my mom still has them on her RS.[/quote] Reread what I wrote about my tire plans. Remember......ALL-SEASON TIRES SUCK FOR ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE I'm talking about tires that I will run in the winter months, and I am not gonna buy sticky summer tires this season before I do Gingerman. Haven't decided on what the 2nd set of wheels will be for the summer, anyway. Also, the newer silica-based tires are much better for long-term wear, so that's also what I look for in any tire that I buy.
Ron

I have been thinking about the WR as a tire. I know they are not cheap but I haven't looked for them in 17's yet. I have a Audi buddy who swears by his Nokian Hak Q's. I have seen him go into amazing amounts of snow with those. I'm talking 2 feet of snow. This will be my first winter with this much HP. On my last two Legacy's I have run Michelin MXV4's and have never had any real problems with them. I'm a skier the skis 65+ days a season. My plate is GOT SNO. I drive in winter more then summer. This year I'm begining to think the WR or Hak Q's may be the way to go. I want bigger wheels next summer also. I just need more money... I want I want. Yes I have left the RE92's on the first winter or two but when they wore out, I would not buy them again. They were fine in the snow but the MXV4's were better all around.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived