LegacyGT.com

What Have You Replaced the RE92's With and Why?

brad21

Before I get too much mileage to make them a good trade/resale and because you guys have scared me with all your bad RE92 talk I was thinking about dumping them and replacing them with something else, especially before winter in the Oregon high desert which sees a good combination of crappy and decent weather. What have you replaced yours with, why, how much, and where? Tire Rack has a Reno distribution center. I may be down there next month for the air races and could order and pick them up to save a little coin. Did that with my last Legacy L wagon now that I think about it!?

First off, don't let people get to you...the RE-92's are capable of 'controlled' driving in the snow...trust me, I have used them...just don't push them toooo hard in the snow -- otherwise, you will love to learn to drift in the snow. Secondly, if you are going to spend the money on tires, get some good snow tires...you can always have them mounted/balanced before/after the winter. I think that this would be a better way to go...if you get more than 6" of snow. Lastly, if you have some extra money, try to find a set of winter wheels (possibly from someone that sells the stock rims). Add snow rubber to those, and change as necessary. Again, I used the RE-92's on the WRX for about 30K miles, before I switched (about a year and a half - with one winter season (the worst in NY that I have driven in) and they were fine). Of course, the 16" RE-92 tires are prolly a little worse than the 17" RE-92...in terms of their 'performance.' Later, and hope this helps. i.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm gonna be buying 2 sets of tires soon- one for my Rotas and one for the stock rims. I'll be looking at Cooper tires- I don't know if anyone else has ever used them, but I bought a set about 8 years ago on someone's suggestion and was impressed with them.

I have RE92 on my Maxima and in Western Canada I had to get some LM22 Blizzaks. My question is... are the RE92 limiting the GT's handling performance? If not, one might stick with them in the summer, and get snow for winter. I know I have hydroplaned on the highway with the Potenzas. IF a better tire brings out the potential of the GT, then we should look into them. It's like a baseball player using a bat that is not suitable for him!?

Dunlop 9000s for the summer, because they're an adult performance tire. That is to say quiet, excellent rain performance, not quite the ultimate in dry grip, but they trade that off for good tread wear from a max performance tire. Blizzak WS-50s for the winter, because they're about the best pure snow tire going. Bigbadboss, upping the tire pressure helps the communicativeness of the RE92s. Inthedeck is right in that circumspection is the key to using the stock tires effectively. But they do have a high plastic content as I understand it, for better tread life, which generally comes with a downside. Good luck, Kevin

I travel quite a bit at times and could end up needing to be in So Cal in the dead of winter. Thusly, I prefer a M+S tire that I can just leave on year round. For instance though, last winter I ended up at Tahoe for a week and every time I end up there they have a 100 year blizzard. The worn out Hankook's (that were VERY good, and cheap) got me stuck in the Audi. If I could fork out for a dedicated summer pair of wheels and tires I'd put a good M+S on for the winter, but as it stands I just want to leave one set on year round. Driving at highway speeds with dedicated snow tires just plain ol' sucks. :)

Oh yeah, and of course I want my tires to be damn near free, last for the life of the vehicle, handle like race slicks in the dry and go like a snowcat when it's bumper deep. Thanks for the help.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I also increased my tire pressure last weekend- it does ehlp, but makes the tires more noisy- then again, the tires on the XT are 225/55/17- maybe the extra sidewall makes it louder.

[quote name='brad21']Oh yeah, and of course I want my tires to be damn near free, last for the life of the vehicle, handle like race slicks in the dry and go like a snowcat when it's bumper deep. Thanks for the help.[/quote] You're looking for something nobody makes. With something that sticks you are going to create friction, higher abilities of friction will wear the tires faster. The only tires that really kill in the snow are dedicated snows. Snows are no good in semi-warm to warm weather. All-seasons are a compromise on both. You will NEVER get a tire to last as long as the vehicle, especially if you want them for damn-near free. If you're leasing for 36k miles, sure, doable if you don't have a LOT of fun on them, I wouldn't plan anything beyond 35-40k out of tires if you have lots of fun. I chose Toyo Proxes 4's in stock size from TreaDepot.com for $402 shipped. We don't get a ton of snow in this part of Wisconsin, maybe 20-30inches on average per winter. I was told you shouldn't have any problem getting home when a decent amount of snow is falling. I don't go out in snowstorms if I don't have to anyhow. They stick really nicely and are rather quiet driving. I sure won't have any problems getting another set unless something much better and over the top is available. The PZero Nero's were rated about the same, but for that extra $100, not worth it to me.

[quote name='brad21']I travel quite a bit at times and could end up needing to be in So Cal in the dead of winter. Thusly, I prefer a M+S tire that I can just leave on year round. For instance though, last winter I ended up at Tahoe for a week and every time I end up there they have a 100 year blizzard. The worn out Hankook's (that were VERY good, and cheap) got me stuck in the Audi. :)[/quote] If you want an all season tire with excellent winter traction, a lot of people seem to like the Nokian WR. If you want an all season tire that is biased towards excellent summer performance, look into the Toyo Proxes4 and the Pirelli ZeroNero M&S. You will not find a tire that excells in both summer heat and winter snow.

[quote name='brad21']Oh yeah, and of course I want my tires to be damn near free, last for the life of the vehicle, handle like race slicks in the dry and go like a snowcat when it's bumper deep. Thanks for the help.[/quote] The closest tire to this, indeed as someone has mentioned, is the Nokian WR. It's an "all-weather" tire that has also passed muster as a snow tire, thus the snowflake brand on its sidewall. I ran a set last year on the WRX, and they don't start feeling hinky until about 115 mph. They grip very well in the dry, do quite well in the snow (though not as well as a pure snow tire) and have a 50,000-mile treadwear guarantee. Unfortunately, they aren't "darn near free." In the GT's stock size, they're something around $175 per tire. Kevin

You can do 225/45R-17, but it will degrade your handling ability as the tire is a nice bit wider than the wheel and you may get more tire squirm. People do it, but if you are looking for rather good handling, you'd want to do a 225 width tire with a 7.5" wheel. If you are going to keep the car stock, you shouldn't need more than 215 rubber. I've pushed my car rather hard at certain points so far, the rubber hasn't let go (my Proxes 4's.) We've went down this path before, but good 215 rubber can beat mediocre rubber in 225 or 235 any day of the week.

Since my GT Limited Wagon will be in around early September, I went and taked to the local Discount Tire about swapping. They will give me $50 apiece for the RE92s. I'll head over there right from the dealership. Here in the Deroit area, we don't get enough snow to justify dedicated snow tires, so I still want all-season tires on the stock rims. Next summer, I'll get summer tires on another set of rims. After some checking around, I'm going with the ContiExtremeContact, after considering the P Zero Nero, RE950, and a couple of other all-season tires. Here's the Tire Rack and Discount Tire links for them: [url]http://tinyurl.com/e2xn[/url] [url]http://tinyurl.com/3wqyq[/url] With the tires being $106 each, the total should run me no more than $300 with the trade-in of the RE92s. If I can swing it, we have a track day set up at Gingerman in late October, so it would be a good opportunity to give the car & tires a try. Ron
Ron

I personally wouldn't do CEC's on this car. I had them on my last car. While they do faily decent in snow, they are really not much better in handling than an RE92 and squeel around EVERY corner.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='rporter']Since my GT Limited Wagon will be in around early September, I went and taked to the local Discount Tire about swapping. They will give me $50 apiece for the RE92s. I'll head over there right from the dealership. Here in the Deroit area, we don't get enough snow to justify dedicated snow tires, so I still want all-season tires on the stock rims. Next summer, I'll get summer tires on another set of rims. After some checking around, I'm going with the ContiExtremeContact, after considering the P Zero Nero, RE950, and a couple of other all-season tires. Here's the Tire Rack and Discount Tire links for them: [url]http://tinyurl.com/e2xn[/url] [url]http://tinyurl.com/3wqyq[/url] With the tires being $106 each, the total should run me no more than $300 with the trade-in of the RE92s. If I can swing it, we have a track day set up at Gingerman in late October, so it would be a good opportunity to give the car & tires a try. Ron[/quote] Is this something tire dealers are known to do? I'd like to trade my stockers in on a set of dedicated snows.

Archived