LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT: No heavy load rear tire pressure setting?

Ken S

I'm going on a roadtrip with a pretty full load of passengers and cargo so I was looking through the manual and door jamb sticker to see what the max load tire pressure settings were. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be one for the Legacy/OB except for the OB when pulling a trailer. The GT lists only 33psi for the rear. No mention of a higher rating for when your vehicle is fully loaded. Pretty much every vehicle I've owned has had different tire pressure requirements for a light and heavy load. Anyone else notice this? Ken

[quote name='outahere'][quote name='SUBE555']For heavy loads, up pressure to around 40psi keeping at least 1psi higher up front. Works fairly well for us.[/quote] But do not exceed the max pressure listed on the tire sidewall.[/quote] Right. Max pressure minus 5 psi allows for heat-induced expansion. That does seem an odd omission by Subaru, however. Have you emailed them about if such a difference is required? Kevin

Considering all the tires we run in our family are either 44 or 51psi max (as most tires are at least 44psi that will fit our rims/those of other late model Subarus), you are pretty safe with the numbers I'd be using. Much more and the tire will wear out the center from too round of a profile of the center of the tire.

Archived