LegacyGT.com

Sliding sideways - function of suspension or tires

RangerMan

When entering a turn, probably too fast, and the car starts to feel "floaty" and "loose" and slowing down tightens it back up and doesn't make it feel like you are sliding sideways - is getting too loose a function of suspension, tires or as I would suspect, both? And what are the ways to solve that? Not loose to the point that it feels like the car is going to rotate immediately, more like it feels as though the car's weight is being unloaded and a sideways translation is either occuring or about to occur. If the car continued to be pushed fast rotation would probably occur.

Curious, and I don't know much about suspension or tires.

with the re92s my car wanted to be sideways all the time. Put on Hankook ice bears and tein h springs recently. They helped but have cusco sway bars coming in. After that I hope to get rid of the "floating" feel all together.

"Predictable" tires help. You can slide sideways and under control with tires that don't grib as well. Perhaps tires with a stiffer side wall.

Some increased roll resistance will add some degree of confidence(springs, sway bars). e.g. the car will lean less. In addition, better shocks damper against sudden forces that "upset" the car.

To answer your question (thread title), its actually a function of speed :)

But assuming you dont want to slow down... you need better tires first.

Remember though... slow in, fast out. The whole process you mention about turning, understeering, skidding until the car slows down enough then "re-grips" is all based on the friction circle.

Up to the point of understeer, you can turn. Once you start sliding/understeering, anymore steering input you give will do nothing.

You need to optimize your entry speed to apex... and then power out. This is also based on weight distribution and many other things. Swaybars will help keep the opposing tire planted... so:

1) entry speed correction

2) tires

3) shocks/springs

4) swaybars

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Assuming you are still stock...The quick cheap thing to do is add air to your tires. Say 38/36 or so. That will help a little. Not enough, get betters tires, then springs/coilovers, sways last. Tires will make the biggest difference.

While were on the subject...are swaybars a must? I'm getting coilovers (GP 7k springs, just have never had and want to play around with them) and new tires, and wondered if stiffer swaybars are really a must for improved handling? If so, I'll slap em on, but seems to be some differences of opinion.

thanks all. AC

While were on the subject...are swaybars a must? I'm getting coilovers (GP 7k springs, just have never had and want to play around with them) and new tires, and wondered if stiffer swaybars are really a must for improved handling? If so, I'll slap em on, but seems to be some differences of opinion.

thanks all. AC

I dont think there is a coilover kit for the LGT that allows easy and interchangeable springs to change the rates.

Ideally, you'd change the spring rates to tune for handling for each end of the car... then you'd adjust the swaybars for fine tuning.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

a loose car is a characteristic of the car's design (assuming you are driving to the limits or higher). The entire can get light on you, so depending on how you balance your grip on all 4 tires will still be a combination of all three areas of interest:

1) understanding what your car can do

2) understanding that your suspension can only give you so much resistance of roll and squat

3) understanding how much grip your tires have based on speed, slip angle, and road conditions

Typically, you can be on ANY tire and eventually lose grip as Magnetic1 stated will be a speed issue and the friction circle, your tires can only do so much at a given time.

Read up on slip angles if you can, it will give you some idea of what certain tires can do while driving at higher speeds.

Keefe

Archived