LegacyGT.com

road and track comparo rates legacy 2nd out of 7

crex

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...I see our brakes are HORRIBLE!!! :lol: <-- note sarcasm - Yes, I'm one of those LGT owners who think that our stock brakes only FEEL horrible, but obviously will stop us sufficiently, if not exactly arrestingly. ;)

Hum, like another LGTer mentioned above, what's up with the elapsed time of the MS6 at higher speeds?

I thought that by using lower than 93-octane fuel, ALL aspects of engine performance for that vehicle would be negatively affected, not just top-end?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ I was thinking the same thing while reading the braking performances...throw on a set of more aggressive pads...Say they shave off another 4Ft from 60...tied for 1st....:)

As mentioned earlier (Real world Pricing) should be taken into acct.

The Audi S-line option is not sitting around on lots...40k

Spec-B Sitting & waiting in showrooms.......33k

7,000 :eek:

All for a more refined interior & a 6 speed tranny:lol::lol:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

^ I was thinking the same thing while reading the braking performances...throw on a set of more aggressive pads...Say they shave off another 4Ft from 60...tied for 1st....:)

Don't forget tires as well. :)

I'm currently looking at Bobcats, and the Endless line of SS-M, SS-Y, or Vitas.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I thought that by using lower than 93-octane fuel, ALL aspects of engine performance for that vehicle would be negatively affected, not just top-end?

It probably had gas in it already... they either filled it up during the days events or topped it off before the events with 91... so it was probably a mix

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The current MS6 has issues with the ECU panicking itself into 'limp mode'. Apparently, the exhaust manifold heat soaks the TMIC and when the intake charge gets too hot - wham. Once it enters limp mode, it stays there until the car is shut off and restarted.

If the MS6 really is heatsoaking itself into limp mode on a 70 degree day, I feel sorry for them this summer. Just to add salt to the wound - a run of the mill 6s (v6) would have posted significantly better numbers than the MS6 did in that test. LOL

It probably had gas in it already... they either filled it up during the days events or topped it off before the events with 91... so it was probably a mix
Am I missing something? These cars are tuned from the factory for 91 octane, right? Maybe even lower, because carmakers tend to tune cars very conservatively, knowing that occasionally someone is going to put in a lower grade of gas than recommended.

I'm no expert on gas, but I thought if a car was tuned for a particular octane level, there really is no performance gain by going to a higher grade. In other words, if a car is tuned for 91, there is no performance gain from using 93. Am I wrong about this?

As mentioned earlier (Real world Pricing) should be taken into acct.

The Audi S-line option is not sitting around on lots...40k

Spec-B Sitting & waiting in showrooms.......33k

7,000 :eek:

All for a more refined interior & a 6 speed tranny:lol::lol:

Using Edmunds TMV, I was able to get:

Spec B $33,455

Audi w/S-option only $36,588

add Navi $38,596.

Not that big of a difference. Whether or not the Audi is readily available with S-option only, I have no idea.

Is the different pad compound a documented fact?

It's a different P/N for sure. Everything else about the braking system is the same, save suspension and tires (those are technically part as well)

Using Edmunds TMV, I was able to get:

Spec B $33,455

Audi w/S-option only $36,588

add Navi $38,596.

Not that big of a difference. Whether or not the Audi is readily available with S-option only, I have no idea.

Still a 5K difference from 33,455 to 38,596...and you can easily get a SpecB for invoice which makes true difference more like 6K in reality. I think these two vehicles speak to two different crowds really, a bunch of leasing badge snobs and another that has cobb accessport and downpipes on the brain.

I broke down and went out and bought the spec B the day after the article came out. I must say that I love the car. It is so much better than the 02 gt limited I traded in. The only problem with the navigation system is that it does not show the location of the police on the turnpike

Am I missing something? These cars are tuned from the factory for 91 octane, right? Maybe even lower, because carmakers tend to tune cars very conservatively, knowing that occasionally someone is going to put in a lower grade of gas than recommended.

I'm no expert on gas, but I thought if a car was tuned for a particular octane level, there really is no performance gain by going to a higher grade. In other words, if a car is tuned for 91, there is no performance gain from using 93. Am I wrong about this?

The Mazda is tuned for 93 octane from the factory. ( to get the stated HP)

perhaps no (or very minimal) immediate gain, but over the course of time, any car would benefit from using premium over lower-grade gas in both fuel efficiency and performance

p.s. post #48, and still no scans

I'm a newbie to this board and have been eyeing the MS6, and now, as a result of that R&T article, the LGT.

Seems the MS6 has, according to MS6 boards, some sort of power loss issue (lots of discussion as to the exact cause, Mazda being coy) that seems reflected by the R&T article data. The MS6 was very quick out of the blocks, but then over 60 mph, just wilted while the Spec B charged ahead. In the end, the "274hp" MS6 had about the same 1/4 mile trap speed as my '94 165hp Probe GT! R&T seemed to hint at this issue a bit, but it really is there as a quick surf to a Mazda forum will quickly reveal. Maybe its just some bad ECU coding, fixable with a reflash, or maybe its something more, like insufficient intercooler function. Shame as the MS6 seems, otherwise, quite a compelliing car.

The R&T article really opened my eyes to the LGT/Spec B. I used to have an old Subaru DL eons ago, a sturdy if drag little conveyance which some colored my view of Subarus since. But the R&T article has revealed the LGT to be a veritable rocket, a real Q-Ship indeed. And it doesn't even look goofy like so many Subarus.

Still a 5K difference from 33,455 to 38,596...and you can easily get a SpecB for invoice which makes true difference more like 6K in reality. I think these two vehicles speak to two different crowds really, a bunch of leasing badge snobs and another that has cobb accessport and downpipes on the brain.

Yup I think you hit the nail on the head, althought, I gotta admit, I wanted to be one of those snobs, but was turned of by the offset in price and the idea of the keeping German hardware out of warranty....

perhaps no (or very minimal) immediate gain, but over the course of time, any car would benefit from using premium over lower-grade gas in both fuel efficiency and performance
I thought one or more of the gas companies (possibly Amoco?) got sued for false advertising for claiming that. Now, in their ads for premium gas, there is an asterisk with a fine print disclaimer that says something like "*for cars that are engineered for premium gasoline".

As if the only reason it did so well was because it was a spec. B, and that a regular LGT wouldnt have fared the same.
The suspension and tires probably made a difference in the handling tests.

I thought one or more of the gas companies (possibly Amoco?) got sued for false advertising for claiming that. Now, in their ads for premium gas, there is an asterisk with a fine print disclaimer that says something like "*for cars that are engineered for premium gasoline".

every gas website i visited states the opposite of that, but i'll be happy to review any link you care to provide

Fair enough, but the Spec. B is not different from an LGT, the way an E55 is from an E320. Or, the Spec. B is not to the M3, as an LGT is to a 330.
No, it's more like comparing a 330i to a 330i with the Sport Package.

every gas website i visited states the opposite of that, but i'll be happy to review any link you care to provide
How generous and open-minded of you! I'll see what I can find sometime when I've got nothing better to do. In the meantime, I'll be glad to review your links too, when I get a chance.

Archived