LegacyGT.com

iPod + dock connector + jazzy = good volume?

ilh

I recently installed the jazzy aux-in and am using my iPod (video) with the headphone jack. Unfortunately, I don't like how when I bump the click wheel I get volume changes, or the apparent "compression" I seem to be getting in the audio. I think I should change to a dock connector to get access to the line-level outputs.

My questions is this: are these dock connector audio signals of comparable volume to CDs and FM when connected to jazzy?

There are some connectors that go straight to RCA, and then there are things like the Belkin that have a built-in amplifier with gain control. While I don't like the idea of another in-line amplifier, gain control could be useful if the iPod's gain needs some adjusting to bring it in line with CDs and FM. I think someone said that the Belkin automatically pauses the iPod when power is lost, which could be mildly useful.

Any power/aux-out dock connector I get I will bury in the console, even if it is the Belkin or similar that is intended for a cigarette lighter socket.

Thanks for your input.

--Lee

I have the JazzyMT conncetion also, if you connect just through the headphone jack the volume is a bit low...but i use this to remedy that:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CS6R66/qid=1138288919/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_12/102-7478541-4220968?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=284507

it's similar to the Belkin unit...audio levels are now vastly improved and there is no need to CRAnK up the volume on your Ipod or stereo now...It's not quite at CD & FM volume but its close, alot better then if you used the headphone jack...

hope that helps

~Sucka-Duck~

My questions is this: are these dock connector audio signals of comparable volume to CDs and FM when connected to jazzy?

Yes. I have the iPod + Belkin Dock Connector + jazzy setup that you're referring to, and it is definately loud, and clean. I have the Belkin gain all the way up (to make volumes comparable to CDs), and I don't notice any distortion from the stock audio system. It is a significant improvement over the headphone jack.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Lee,

The dock connector is the way to go. The iPod dock is capable of producing AUX-input quality audio similar to other componentry (ie. CD players and the like). The headphone jack not only produces less volume but it's amplifiers add more distortion to the signal.

The Belkin unit works well (I have it on my LGT) but purists would say the adjustable amp ads it's own distortion. I believe Monster has a similar unit without the amp.

Ken

I'm using the Belkin kit and am very happy with the volume levels. I would say I have the gain on the amp slightly more than half way up and the volume is identical to CD volume (sometimes louder depending on the MP3 strength). I play most music at a HU level of 15 and it's plenty loud enough for my taste. It is so much nicer to only need to plug in the dock connector instead of the headphone and then adjust the iPod volume (compared to earphones) each time. Plus, my iPod always seems to be at full charge.

I did have a problem with the amp cutting out when I ran a Radio Shack GLI between the Belkin and the Jazzy, but no one else has reported this. I tried two Belkins and experienced the same problem with both. Removing the GLI fixed the situation, and I have been dealing with the slight ground loop noise since (only noticable when the iPod is paused or playing a really soft song). Since the other people running this setup with a GLI haven't had problems, you should be fine, but I figured I would post my experience in case you do have a problem.

I've got the Belkin too, it's at about half volume with no added noise that I've noticed. The nicest feature is that when I shut off the car the Ipod stops automatically. Now if someone could figure out how to make it resume/start again when I start the car it'd be great - it's the little things that count.

One problem I'm having with the Ipod this way is a gentle roll-off in bass. I'm not sure if it's the Belkin or the MP3 format, but I'd guess I'm losing 3-6 db below 160hz. I'm NOT using the Jazzy mod or the stock HU. Has anyone else noticed this?

One problem I'm having with the Ipod this way is a gentle roll-off in bass. I'm not sure if it's the Belkin or the MP3 format, but I'd guess I'm losing 3-6 db below 160hz. I'm NOT using the Jazzy mod or the stock HU. Has anyone else noticed this?

I AM using the stock HU, and I don't think that it even produces sound below 160Hz :lol:

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I ended up ordering a Belkin in black. Black was highly desirable to me, and so was a single wire coming from the dock connector, which eliminates the sendstation (white) and the autosound2000.com product (two wires). I really want this thing to disappear.

Here's what my install looks like with the headphone jack in use:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/pics/IMG_1398.jpg

I'll bury the Belkin inside the center console and hardwire it to the cigarette lighter power.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

How's the sound quality compared to headphone output?

I didn't think the headphones sounded that bad until I plugged in the sendstation unit. Then I realized how much better the sound can be and I had a big smile on my face. It's now a much better match to the level of my XM. I also changed an inetrnal audio option on the ipod which boosted the sound level as well. Can't recall what the name of the option was...

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Archived