LegacyGT.com

Dayco Poly Cog multi-ribbed belt

I replaced belts on my wife's 2000 Outback in November 2005 with Dayco Poly Cog belts (made in Canada). Audvance Auto Parts rep was selling on "much better reliability" and other... I would not say car really needed it - but I was doing maintenance on leaked radiator, so decided to replace belts just to forget about maintenance for some time.

So... 2 months later and 4000 miles later it failed miserably after multiple adjustments. It was stretching to the slip point and I was tensioning it probably 6-7 times, until I hit limiter. 2-3 weeks later it was overstretching/slipped and cycle repeated itself. Belt had "1-yr replacement warranty", but apparently only from the "breakeage". Now it is replaced with Gaites, which was MUCH HARDER to put on, and it works for the second week already with no sign of stretching or slip.

Dayco Poly Cog was TOO soft from the very beginning, but I desided to give it a try anyway...

So... beware...

Dayco is an okay brand. Having been in the aftermarket parts business, I had good luck with Gates as well.

OE = unneccesary $$ for most stuff. I never understood why people go to the dealer for basic replacement parts like pads, belts, fluids, etc.

dR

I replaced belts on my wife's 2000 Outback in November 2005 with Dayco Poly Cog belts (made in Canada). Audvance Auto Parts rep was selling on "much better reliability" and other... I would not say car really needed it - but I was doing maintenance on leaked radiator, so decided to replace belts just to forget about maintenance for some time.

So... 2 months later and 4000 miles later it failed miserably after multiple adjustments. It was stretching to the slip point and I was tensioning it probably 6-7 times, until I hit limiter. 2-3 weeks later it was overstretching/slipped and cycle repeated itself. Belt had "1-yr replacement warranty", but apparently only from the "breakeage". Now it is replaced with Gaites, which was MUCH HARDER to put on, and it works for the second week already with no sign of stretching or slip.

Dayco Poly Cog was TOO soft from the very beginning, but I desided to give it a try anyway...

So... beware...

There's your problem :lol:

Archived