GT STG1

3365 -3465 lbs (5MT or 5EAT)

250 @ 6000 285@ ????

250 @ 3500 305 @ ????

0-60 5.5 secs ?? ???

Weight is close between the two

HP is higher on M3 but also comes about 2K revs later

Torque is less as well on the M3

(unless the numbers on the bmw site are whp and i am reading them wrong)

how come cobb doesnt provide us with official 0-60 numbers for stg1 at least?

how come the m3 0-60 is faster when there isnt much difference in the other numbers?

this is what kept me up last night?...someone put my mind at ease so i can sleep peacefully. :)

To answer your question.

Look at the way the ///M is geared against the GT

Then look at how much longer the ///M can hold each gear for.

Getting maximum HP to the rears is also done thru DSC esp off the line.

3.2L has more linear power and doesnt have to wait till the RPM hits the boost region like the GT, hence the ///M gets much better acceleration throughout the rev range and in each gear.

Ada///M.

To answer your question.

Look at the way the ///M is geared against the GT

Then look at how much longer the ///M can hold each gear for.

Getting maximum HP to the rears is also done thru DSC esp off the line.

3.2L has more linear power and doesnt have to wait till the RPM hits the boost region like the GT, hence the ///M gets much better acceleration throughout the rev range and in each gear.

Ada///M.

Touchdown!

Drivetrain and gearing is the biggest reason.

I beg to differ!

The reason an M3 is as strong as it is, is due to it being able to sustain that 330+hp through it's powerband! A stg2 LGT WILL NOT pull an M3, I know I have tried a few times! I'm not talking from a dig, but from a highway roll where power discrepencies are really amplified.

Even in the 1/4, an M3 is trapping 104-106 mph, to the LGT's stg2 103-104 mph! To understand why you need to look at the dyno charts!

Stg2 LGT's at their peak make 240-260whp(note peak), because from 6k up the LGT is falling off sharpy! When you're running thru the gears, drag racing, whatever, you are in the 4.7k-6.7k rpm range depending on when you shift. In that rpm band, the LGT is only strong from 4.7-5.7k, clearly only half of the gear! The other half it is just clawing to get to 6.5-7k. On an M3, from 6.2k-8k, it pretty much is putting down it's peak power of 265-285! So taking the avg hp into account the LGT is down! The only saving grace is that the LGT is a good amount better in aerodynamic efficiency, .29cd vs .33cd, and taking into account frontal drag area, 6.58sqft. vs 7.36sqft.. This is a 12% advantage, which is alot!(This is what allowed me to go toe-to-toe with an Audi S4 V8!, at stg1 TMIC!)

I also have proven this thru logging many times! I can note in the logs where the car starts accelerating at an equal to slightly faster rate than it did in the gear before! Have any of you noticed that the car pulls harder from 4.5-5.5k in 5th than it does 4th from 5.5-6.5k? Try it. It is directly due to the trq just dropping off, because the vf40 is literally starting to choke the 2.5l.

I have an STI swap now, and the biggest difference between this and a stg2 LGT, is the power from 5.5k up is a fair amount better! With the vf39, the powerband has been extended by about 500 rpm! Thus enabling the wheel trq to stick around til 6.2-6.3k rpm's! It also tales off at a reduced dive angle...

This STI swap setup, should be a match or more than likely beat a M3, but not a stg2 stock turbo'ed LGT....

I don't doubt your figures Edmundo, but I know what I saw, and that was an M///3 behind me :icon_bigg

Now, it was from a standing start admittedly, and I don't think my buddy knows how to get the most from his M///3, but I can still say I pw3ned him :icon_lol:

Another day, another driver, things would most likely be different.

Great driving PhilT! I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were story telling, just that taking drivers out of the equation, the M3 will beat a stg2 LGT everytime. Again, this is from highway rolls, where there are no traction issues...

so what is needed for m3 pwntage...no matter the conditions/location???

Well, you need to change the stock turbo... An 18g on top of your avg stg2 protune will be enough to school one. An STI swap should, but I'll have to confirm that someday :icon_roll

STi swap LGT > 04ish M3

Barely though.

I ate a 350Z the other day as well. Pretty badly from 65.

Watch out for those cobalt SS's though. I ran one from 70 and only started to pull on him after 115. It looked stock, but I'm assuming that a pulley alone would bump it a good 35hp. I was very suprised...

*NOTE* - NONE of this happened on public roadways :icon_bigg

This makes me want to test drive a new M3!

That's if they'd even let me on the lot! Haha!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Archived