LegacyGT.com

My full audio install with XM and cleansweap

mikeyd

Hey just thought I'd share my audio install with yall. I did 2 sets of components, 2 amps, 1 sub, the infamous JL Cleansweep, an Equalizer and XM Satalite Radio. Some components were from my last car, most were new.

Parts:

- 6.5" Infinity Kappa components

- 6.5" Kicker RS components

- Alpine MRPF-240 4 channel amplifier

- Profile CA600M ClassD amplifier

- MTX T4124A 12" subwoofer

- Pioneer DEQ-7600 equalizer

- JL Audio Cleansweep

- Terk Commander XM Satalite Radio Receiver

Comments:

I'm quite happy with the Cleansweep, the external volume knob is a slight bummer but its worth it. I've done a whole lot of audio installs and running the wires down the sides of this car was definately not too fun. Pretty typical tho of well-built or at least the more expensive cars. Also not the biggest fan of the door handles on each door panel as there pretty hard to remove especially while trying not to scratch anything. I really wish there was a factory spot for a tweater on the rear doors also.

I made very few holes in the car during installation. The only visible perminent modification is the mounting of the Cleansweep volume knob. I could not deal with drilling a hole anywhere in my dash such as the radio. I mounted it in the middle of the seat heater switch panel because its actually a pretty convienient spot to use it in and the part would be simple and fairly inexpensive to just replace. The little LED indicator that came w/the cleansweep is mounted behind the little heated seat icon above the knob. So its all stealth but it changes red/green based on the cleansweeps mode. I thought that was pretty slick :icon_bigg

Eventually I'll build a custom sub-box to fit in one of the side cubbys in the trunk. System sounds great tho and you can't even tell its there. Its awsome the Cleansweep came with 2 choices for knobs also, that silver one matches the dash pieces perfect. Eventually I'll do a carputer with a screen up top like stock nav. If your board and interested in carputer stuff check out my site to see my last carputer project in my old car: http://www.mikeyd.net

Pictures: (attached or at) http://www.mikeyd.net/stuff/lgt_installs/audio

Busted my ass and did this all in 1 weekend but I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out, definately recommend the Cleansweep. Thanks to user msmith (JLAudio employee and LGT board member) for quickly sending me a calibration CD since mine was missing from the box.

Good times!

knob.JPG.b2fcf65e7bc6bffcf684bdd7ba8e7602.JPG

578147802_csandeq.JPG.1b388692247a9843bc14707477df03ec.JPG

xm.JPG.9f409dd840ea9237665948a12339aa4f.JPG

front.JPG.1ca37090db0f2567dca8f5fd5be2f63f.JPG

rear.JPG.99c8eb7b63f80afbb88952bd31557b4f.JPG

amps.JPG.2816b07b44d06a432874e2bebb32274b.JPG

dash.JPG.237d2c2b581629cff1344ea5a11e1a2f.JPG

Nice DIY install. Welcome to the board!

Did you decide not to do any sound deadening?? I did a bunch and have a few resonance/buzzing issues to work out with the door panel.

Thanks

Yeh actually I didnt really worry about that since I figured this car should be pretty solid. Door panels seam fine right now anyway. Rear deck might need some solidifying I've noticed. We'll see how loose things get down the line I guess. Damn you've posted almost 9000 times, I supposed that would make you a veteran, ha.

mikeyd, your install looks great! I cant even imagine the amount of work required to get all of this done in one weekend :icon_surp

I have a question for you on the commander install. I also installed my commander in the same location and have been debating how to fill in the gaps to either side. how did you go about fitting the commander into the ash tray unit?

cheers,

ryan

mikeyd, your install looks great! I cant even imagine the amount of work required to get all of this done in one weekend :icon_surp

I have a question for you on the commander install. I also installed my commander in the same location and have been debating how to fill in the gaps to either side. how did you go about fitting the commander into the ash tray unit?

cheers,

ryan

Actually if u look close, I didn't build it in to the ashtray (at least not yet) which is what I don't like about it but it works for now. If I do something with that anytime soon, I'll post it up

Very slick, great knob placement... (that sounds a little weird, doesn't it?)

I can vouch for the fact that this location is very ergonomically sound... it falls right to hand and is easier to reach than the OEM vol. control.

could you post up a side pic of the knob? It seems that mounting place is not flat...I want to see how it sits on there.

Manville - any ideas about sourcing extra silver knobs?? I'd like one to mount my RBC next to the CS knob so it matches), but M-E says they don't have them and haven't responded about ordering one for me (typical - unless you spend $$$, they don't follow up :( )

• 2 months later...
Do you have any problems with the front or rear windows rolling all the way down with those doorspeakers now? Did you use a spacer on them?

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

Do you have any problems with the front or rear windows rolling all the way down with those doorspeakers now? Did you use a spacer on them?

I didn't need a spacer and had no problems with the Kappas I had in the front because they are designed to be very shallow. However I have in the last few days installed Alpine Type R speakers which Im more fond of and had to use a 1" spacer. These speakers are quite deep so i think it might be grazing the window and the panel isn't quite snapping in on that corner but neither case is something to worry about really. If you check alpine's site on the depth of the new TypeR speaker you can compare that to whatever your getting or have to see if you'll have a problem. I'm thinking these are one of the more deeper of whats out there. A speaker with slightly less depth with a slightly smaller spacer would be ideal.

ps.. Patagonian... it slipped my mind, i'll get a side pic... because there ends up being a small distance between the knob and panel, the non-flatness worx out... hopefully I wont forget the pic another few months if your even still interested

• 2 weeks later...
Nice looking install! I am looking at doing something very similar in my spec b. Did you have to do anything special to mount the amps where you did? I am looking at placing mine in the same spot. Thanks in advance for any info!

I didn't need a spacer and had no problems with the Kappas I had in the front because they are designed to be very shallow. However I have in the last few days installed Alpine Type R speakers which Im more fond of and had to use a 1" spacer. These speakers are quite deep so i think it might be grazing the window and the panel isn't quite snapping in on that corner but neither case is something to worry about really. If you check alpine's site on the depth of the new TypeR speaker you can compare that to whatever your getting or have to see if you'll have a problem. I'm thinking these are one of the more deeper of whats out there. A speaker with slightly less depth with a slightly smaller spacer would be ideal.

ps.. Patagonian... it slipped my mind, i'll get a side pic... because there ends up being a small distance between the knob and panel, the non-flatness worx out... hopefully I wont forget the pic another few months if your even still interested

Cool Cool thanks man cause i used spacers on my kappa's and they are hitting the door panel kinda annoying i was checking to see if they would clear the window without the spacer. right on consider those spacers GONE! hahaha

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

Nice looking install! I am looking at doing something very similar in my spec b. Did you have to do anything special to mount the amps where you did? I am looking at placing mine in the same spot. Thanks in advance for any info!

Didn't really have to do anything special. An amp thats not to heavy wont be a probem but something with some weight might make that thin backing your screwing the amps to slouch a bit. thats why my sub amp is toward the bottom and kind of using the side wall its touching to support it better if you know what I mean. I just used some of what i call speed clips (they come with most door speakers) to screw into for a tighter grip.

Looks good, can you post a pic of the CS LED on the under side? I'd like to do the same.

Well I didn't take a picture of the backside of the switch. But I can say a couple things about it. You will have to disassemble the switch itself to get the LED inside. Thats not really a big deal, pretty simple inside just do it on a table and keep it facing up when you pull it apart so you can see the location and orientation of the loose contacts inside for reassembly. I also had to notch out an area for the wires to come out since the thing is pretty tight stock. Also I wish that i pushed the LED as far up to the surface as it would go. I had thought it would be too bright or that you would notice the led behind the symbol so I pulled it back a bit but I shouldn't have cause its not all that bright now. Worx tho, good times.

Archived