LegacyGT.com

Oozing from wheel bolts?

GT_Tommy

I got my Legacy GT Sedan back in June. When washing my car I noticed darker marks coming from the wheel bolts. It looks like a sticky oil or something oozed out and break dust is sticking to it. I couldn't wipe it off with a wet rag...but with a healthy dose of wheel cleaner and a scrubbing with a non-abrasive brush, I was able to get it off. It's happening at all 4 of my wheels...but it's much more pronounced on my front 2 tires. Has anyone else seen this? Are my wheels going to fall off? That might be a problem because this thing is fast.

You might want to take off one of your wheels and inspect the rotor to make sure nothing is leaking or amiss. My main concern would not be the wheels falling off, but a malfunction in your braking system. Check if your brake calipers are secreting grease or if your car is leaking brake fluid. [quote name='GT_Tommy']I got my Legacy GT Sedan back in June. When washing my car I noticed darker marks coming from the wheel bolts. It looks like a sticky oil or something oozed out and break dust is sticking to it. I couldn't wipe it off with a wet rag...but with a healthy dose of wheel cleaner and a scrubbing with a non-abrasive brush, I was able to get it off. It's happening at all 4 of my wheels...but it's much more pronounced on my front 2 tires. Has anyone else seen this? Are my wheels going to fall off? That might be a problem because this thing is fast.[/quote]

[quote name='GT_Tommy']I got my Legacy GT Sedan back in June. When washing my car I noticed darker marks coming from the wheel bolts. It looks like a sticky oil or something oozed out and break dust is sticking to it. I couldn't wipe it off with a wet rag...but with a healthy dose of wheel cleaner and a scrubbing with a non-abrasive brush, I was able to get it off. It's happening at all 4 of my wheels...but it's much more pronounced on my front 2 tires. Has anyone else seen this? Are my wheels going to fall off? That might be a problem because this thing is fast.[/quote] I think it's cosmoline (rust inhibitor) from the factory, mine had it too.

[quote name='Throttlejockey']I think it's cosmoline (rust inhibitor) from the factory, mine had it too.[/quote] You are correct. It is cosmoline, nothing is wrong with the car. :D

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I came out later to find these black marks oozing from the lug nuts in a circular fashion in the middle of my wheel![/quote] how long were you gone? if it's not too long I may just wait for them. :P also, what should I use to get rid of them?

This Space For Rent

Archived