LegacyGT.com

Liberty STi (Oz Spec) Vs Mazda RX-8

Manufacturers who use sequential numbers for their models would never take a step back in the sequence. It's like saying "our latest model was a failure, so we'll bring back the previous one.

Like Chrysler going from the 300M to the 300C?:icon_bigg

Where was chrysler going to go? 300N? Nah. Better to resurrect an old name than that.

And, RX8 is not a linear series with RX7. RX3, for example. An RX8 is a different car than an RX7, by virtue of having 4 seats and 4 doors.

Even the MX cars have a series number, not a sequence number. An MX5 is not bigger than an MX3, and possibly quicker than an MX6. It isn't a sequence.

An RX7 has two doors. The best ones have only two seats. RX8 is not an RX7 replacement.

Aston Martin, there is a series of successive model lines, but even they jumped DB8 completely. B an 8 probably look too much alike in badge lettering, or something.

Where was chrysler going to go? 300N? Nah. Better to resurrect an old name than that.

And, RX8 is not a linear series with RX7. RX3, for example. An RX8 is a different car than an RX7, by virtue of having 4 seats and 4 doors.

Even the MX cars have a series number, not a sequence number. An MX5 is not bigger than an MX3, and possibly quicker than an MX6. It isn't a sequence.

An RX7 has two doors. The best ones have only two seats. RX8 is not an RX7 replacement.

Aston Martin, there is a series of successive model lines, but even they jumped DB8 completely. B an 8 probably look too much alike in badge lettering, or something.

1968-1970 110s Cosmo and R100

1971-Mazda debuts the rotary-powered RX-2

1972-Mazda debuts the rotary-powered RX-3

1974-Mazda debuts the RX-4 (sedan, wagon, and pick-up)

1978-Mazda introduces the rotary-engined RX-7 sports car

1985-Mazda introduces second-generation RX-7

1992-Mazda introduces third-generation Rx-7.

1995- Rx-7 is dicontinued in the US

2003- Mazda introduces the Rx-8

The Rx series is not defined as only a 2door coupe (see Rx-4)

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Hmm yes I read that too but if IMHO if they brought out a 2 door and called it the new RX-7, Im sure not many ppl would have battered a eyelid.

Ada///M.

They would make it a second gen 8, not step backwards. Or make it an Rx-9. Some would argue the 06 8's would be second gen, as it is Mazda's first facelift to the original.....up'ing the HP of the Auto and offering 6 speed trans across the board (MT and AT). They already have a special edition Rx-8.

The Rx series is not defined as only a 2door coupe (see Rx-4)

I didn't say that the RX monicker was entirely comprised of two door cars. I said the RX7 specifically is a two door. And the RX8 is not. RX is specifically Rotary powered, just as MX is piston driven, although Mazda seems to be dropping the MX part, and leaving only the number. (6, 3, 5, etc...)

All of those different models are unique models. smaller coupes, bigger coupes, sedans, even a pickup truck... not successive revisions of the same car. They were perhaps serialized series numbered at the beginning, but not after the original RX7, and notice the lack of RXs 5 and 6. Why else didn't the second and third generation RX7s become the RX8 and 9 respectively? Again, successive revisions of the same car.

The RX8 and RX7 are not interpretations of the same model, and are not mutually exclusive, in my interpretation.

If Mazda would come out with a kick ass high-output, light weight, top shelf, renesis-powered 2-door (preferably 2-seat) sports car, it would, and should be called and considered the 4th generation RX7. Not RX9. RX9 would be a different vehicle, IdunnoWhat. Maybe a 3-rotor renesis version of the new MX cross-sport or whatever their sporty crossover will be called... There was a little Mazda concept at Detroit that might make a nice RX3 or something, though, as it seemed a tad smaller than a next-gen RX8.

I didn't say that the RX monicker was entirely comprised of two door cars. I said the RX7 specifically is a two door. And the RX8 is not. RX is specifically Rotary powered, just as MX is piston driven, although Mazda seems to be dropping the MX part, and leaving only the number. (6, 3, 5, etc...)

All of those different models are unique models. smaller coupes, bigger coupes, sedans, even a pickup truck... not successive revisions of the same car. They were perhaps serialized series numbered at the beginning, but not after the original RX7, and notice the lack of RXs 5 and 6. Why else didn't the second and third generation RX7s become the RX8 and 9 respectively? Again, successive revisions of the same car.

The RX8 and RX7 are not interpretations of the same model, and are not mutually exclusive, in my interpretation.

If Mazda would come out with a kick ass high-output, light weight, top shelf, renesis-powered 2-door (preferably 2-seat) sports car, it would, and should be called and considered the 4th generation RX7. Not RX9. RX9 would be a different vehicle, IdunnoWhat. Maybe a 3-rotor renesis version of the new MX cross-sport or whatever their sporty crossover will be called... There was a little Mazda concept at Detroit that might make a nice RX3 or something, though, as it seemed a tad smaller than a next-gen RX8.

They are successive revisions to a car whose base plateform is the Rotary engine. 10A, 12A, 13B, 13B-REW, 20B-REW, 787B (not offered to the general public).

The reason why the Rx-7's were 2nd/3rd gen's is because of the turbo offerings they began introducing since 1982. The second gens adopted the twin scroll and the third gens sequential twins. It would be fair to say that the order of of the Rx series is congruent with the development of a newly designed rotary engine. Mazda isn't going to step back to pre-renesis years, hence, the Rx-7 is history, the Rx-8 is next in line and where they go from there will only be up, should they develop a 20B Renesis.

So what you are suggesting Boxer is that Mazda WONT run in series like BMW with their 1,3,5,6,7,8,M,X,Z Series but rather name each car a different name each time ?

Ada///M.

PS and for the RX-7 Series X, u dont think they will create a RX-8 Series X ?

So what you are suggesting Boxer is that Mazda WONT run in series like BMW with their 1,3,5,6,7,8,M,X,Z Series but rather name each car a different name each time ?

Ada///M.

PS and for the RX-7 Series X, u dont think they will create a RX-8 Series X ?

I think the "RX" is the equivalent of the BMW series identifiers you mentioned. RX, MX, etc.

They may make another generation of RX-8, but I think Boxer is saying they won't revert to the RX-7 nameplate.

Its interesting thats all I can say. I think its great "sometimes" when they bring back names and its about tradition and heritage but sometimes they just need to move on. I suppose only time will tell.

Ada///M.

I think usually they only go backwards in naming if a series has lost it's luster, and they are trying to restore some of it's former glory. For instance, Chrysler came out with the 300M, which was ostensibly a continuation of the old 300 series, the last of which I believe had been the 300L. The 300M never really captured the public's imagination, and so they came out with a totally new, retro-themed car and reverted to the 300C name.

Under a scenario like that, it's conceivable that somewhere down the line, if the next few cars in the RX series become bloated & lose their appeal and market share, Mazda could conceivably revive the RX-7 name (say, for a lightweight 2-seat sports car) in an attempt to harken back to it's former glory.

Its interesting thats all I can say. I think its great "sometimes" when they bring back names and its about tradition and heritage but sometimes they just need to move on. I suppose only time will tell.

Ada///M.

It's different when Ford brings back the Thunderbird, Dodge the Charger, Challenger, Chevy the Camaro. Those cars died off the production line, along with their essense. Mazda is still going with the Rotary (Rx) platform, hence why they wouldn't go backwards.

They could (and their has been speculation) of a 2door convertible Rx-8, which is where you'd see 2nd/3rd generations.

Now I know Im really reaching here but..... what about the really OLD SCHOOL RX-7 built in the mid 80's compared to the end of production in 1999 or whenever it was, why is that any different to what you are saying now. Based on yr theory, they should have totally renamed the newer version RX-7 or are we talking something totally different?

Ada///M.

I am getting the impression from Boxer, that each new chassis design gets a new higher number. I don't think that is the case.

The designations of the rotary engines themselves are different than the numbers in the name of the car. 13b was a 1.3 liter, 2-rotor engine. 20b is a 2.0 liter 3 rotor engine, REW was a monicker for the twin turbocharged version. Renesis is the name given to the new peripheral port rotary... and so on. Nothing to do with the number of the RX-series car, other than RX standing for some sort of wankel engine in the bay.

A different number in the name of the car, if I interpret mazda naming history correctly, means a different "type" of car with a different role in the lineup, not just any successive chassis design. A convertible RX8 would be an RX8. Just as convertible RX7s were still RX7s.

I think the RX8 got it's name by being something completely new. A four door four seat sport coupe. Something only saturn had played with, and not really that extensively. It was a new car, with a new niche, and got a new number in the name.

A new version of the halo-level lightweight (technically 3-door hatchback) sports car would fit back into the RX7 mission-defined slot. The name and the precedent already exist, and the name has brand equity associated with it.

Talk to mazda about brand equity, and why they are hustling to re-monicker the Miata name back to the US MX5 after half a year of ditching it for no apparent reason. People know the car as the Miata here, and will call it that, whether Mazda likes it or not. It is the MX5 in europe, and the Eunos Roadster in Japan. An RX7 by any other name would probably get the same reaction from the enthusiasts (who would definitely be the market for a new RX7.)

A smaller, less expensive runabout coupe with a rotary engine would probably slot back into the RX3 name. that was the role.

A rotary powered light pickup (which I doubt would EVER happen again) would probably get a REPU name, or possilby a new name, because REPU is kinda weird sounding, and doesn't really have any current relevance.

A rotary powered Miata would be referred to as an RX5, rather than an MX5. And still called a Miata regardless.

A rotary powered sedan would probably be RX6, coinciding with the 6. Although the MX6 was a GT coupe, and the 626 was the mid-compact sedan model in the past, and the original rotary sedan was a RX4, and the rotary GT coupe in Japan was the Cosmo, if I remember the name correctly.

So the naming convention isn't rock solid with Mazda.

But based on how I understand the name number convention, I would think that for an RX vehicle to get the number 9, it would have to be something completely new, with a new role, and a new purpose.

but I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice before: :D

I like mazda. I wish "Zoom Zoom" meant a little more. The 6 and MSP6 are not up to the Legacy, IMO, and the RX8 is a little too trendy-looking in the front, and a tad thirsty at the pump for the power level. (fine for a weekend sports car, a bit of a compromize for a daily commuter / general purpose car.)

I would turn down a lot of lesser cars before the RX8, though. Just that my money is headed Legacy GT direction next.

I think the FD series RX7 is one of the sexiest cars ever. The local dealer has one in the service lot that I DROOL over. It is a red one with a very rare glass moonroof (most had a steel panel, or a fixed steel roof) It also has the JDM '99 era nose piece and revised marker lights, and front lip spoiler fitted (red paint doesn't match, unfortunately... but fixable) and 18" aftermarket rims.

If that were for sale, I would seriously consider scrimping and getting a used 05 LGT, and picking up that very RX7, if it were for sale. I just can't justify two two-seat mazda sports cars as our only cars.

But how cool would a 99 Classic Red Miata, and a 99-spec Classic Red RX7 be, parked side by side in my garage... The only thing better would be a three stall garage and adding a Legacy GT, and turbocharging the Miata to match the other two...

Similar to the way I was thinking and I suppose the way that BMW and MB currently class/series their vehicles. Now that the RX ? branding is established, I would be suprised if it states. Unsure if I like the branding/wording Miata to be honest, prefer MX-5 but then again it was always launched here in Oz as the MX-5. Whatever works I suppose.

Great write up IWSS.

Ada///M.

Mazda has been going with names lately, at least for it's concepts, and almost entirely phonetic-based japanese words.

Their new 6-based sporty cross-over ute is being called the MX Cross-sport as a concept and CX-7 as a production model being released in the US this spring. And they have hinted at a ultracompact Mazda 2. They have also had concepts called nextourer, and MX Sportif.

The concept car they showed at Detroit were called Kabura, and Senku, past ones have been named Sassou, Washu, Ibuki, all sorts of things that sound like japanese language names.

Archived