LegacyGT.com

Liberty STi (Oz Spec) Vs Mazda RX-8

There has been quite a lot of talk on this site in recent weeks by our American and Australian members regarding the comparisons between the LibertyGT/LegacyGT/Liberty STi Vs the MPS or as known in the US as the Mazdaspeed 6. We have all seen the resutls, some we win some we lose but there doesnt seem to be much talk about big brother.... RX-8.

What sort of competition does the RX-8 offer against the reg LibertyGT/LegacyGT or the Liberty STi (Oz Spec).... Anyone care to comment?

Ada///M.

Well, at least for the USDM RX-8, it doesn't come close to the LGT in power. It does handle very well though. But the RX-8 would be closer to something like the G35C than the LGT. It technically has 4 doors, but it's not really much roomier than a 2 door coupe. The extra set of doors just make it eassier to get in. Also, it has essentially no trunk space when compared to the Legacy/Liberty. Not to mention it's AWD vs RWD. Yes, I looked at then before getting the LGT, but I'd consider my preferences unique.

Cars I looked at before buying the Legacy (wagon):

RX-8

350Z

2004 Outback H6 (wagon)

2004 Forester XT (came in 2nd to the LGT)

2004 325xi (wagon)

This was back in 2004. Then when I heard rumors and saw pictures of the upcoming Legacy I decided to hold out for a while. I'm really glad I waited.

RX-8 is more like the little brother, between the MX-5 and the MS6.

Power, there's no comparison.

Practicality, there's no comparison.

Handling, maybe something to write about.

Otherwise there's no reason to put the two cars in the same category. Sounds more like one of KaaKaa mans threads. :lol:

Rx-8 is more coupe than sedan.

But if you were to compare, Rx-8 is the easiest car to go around corners fast and it revs to 9000 and... it just handles so well. The bad part, Reliability. Rotary engines need to be constantly maintained and they break down. finally They eat up oil/gas.

I'd take the legacy because you can go fast without the impracticalities (just not as good as the rx-8 in corners of course)

RX-8 has no torque, rotary engine that needs to be rebuilt around 80000miles, expensive insurance

Legacy has powerful engine, easy to modify, reliable, SAFE, AWD, cheap insurance, LUXURY

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

RX-8 has no torque, rotary engine that needs to be rebuilt around 80000miles, expensive insurance

Legacy has powerful engine, easy to modify, reliable, SAFE, AWD, cheap insurance, LUXURY

Your right on the torque. However, the rotary engine does not need to be rebuilt around 80K. If your talking about the FC and FD engines maybe, the renesis is a new breed and no one knows the long term reliability of them. It was designed with longevity in mind. As far as insurance goes, my Rx-8 was cheaper than my LGT. :D

Interms of performance, the LGT wins on power hands down, but the LGT will not touch the 8 in the twisties. The 8 is a fun car to drive, because of it's superior handling, and nothing compares to the sound of hearing the engine spin! :D

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Your right on the torque. However, the rotary engine does not need to be rebuilt around 80K. If your talking about the FC and FD engines maybe, the renesis is a new breed and no one knows the long term reliability of them. It was designed with longevity in mind. As far as insurance goes, my Rx-8 was cheaper than my LGT. :D

Interms of performance, the LGT wins on power hands down, but the LGT will not touch the 8 in the twisties. The 8 is a fun car to drive, because of it's superior handling, and nothing compares to the sound of hearing the engine spin! :D

Let's try this with a full load of passengers up a mountain pass. ;) I doubt that the rx-8 would have enough torque to get going fast enough. LOL!

I had an 88 turbo II FC that I traded on the LGT. It had 130k miles and was in great condition, inside and out and the engine ran great.

Rx-8, great handler, fun car, but a little low on grunt, they should have turbo'd it.

The turbo is for the next gen RX-7. Once the Skyline GTR gets released everyone will jump on the bandwagon...hopefully (mazda rx7 and that toyota/lexus hyper car)

Mazda will not re-release the Rx-7 when they have the 8 already in existance. It's like them scrapping the 3 and going back to the Protege. Will the release a Mazdaspeed 8, possibly. Will it have a turbo? 50/50 between a turbo and a supercharger.

Didn't Mazdaspeed came out with a prototype turbocharged rx-8 a while back and the power output weren't too impressive?

btw, when will she finish eating her M&Ms? ;)

No mazda didn't prototype a TC 8. Many wished they did, but no.

and they're skittles! Taste the Rainbow :D

I dont think its taking a stepback, its them using the tradition of a name.

Ada///M.

Manufacturers who use sequential numbers for their models would never take a step back in the sequence. It's like saying "our latest model was a failure, so we'll bring back the previous one.

3 words

Not gonna happen !

Manufacturers who use sequential numbers for their models would never take a step back in the sequence. It's like saying "our latest model was a failure, so we'll bring back the previous one.

3 words

Not gonna happen !

Thank you!

Archived