LegacyGT.com

Garnet Red = Cop Bait? Need feedback.

Red cars get more speeding tickets!  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Red cars get more speeding tickets!

• Agree - they get more tickets
    • Does not make a difference
    • Disagree - they get less tickets

[quote name='Driver72'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Driver72']I would of ordered the "red" if it didn't look kinda "orange" in the sunlight. Especially after a couple years of fading, I'm sure the "red" will look way to "orange" for me. But as far as the law is concerned, they don't care what color car you drive, if you are speeding, they'll give you a ticket. But without a doubt, a "flashy" color catches your eye more, and therefore possibly the police officers eye as well.. If they can pick you out in a crowd easier, you might get targeted more.[/quote] I guess my color perception is off or soemthing because it doesn't look at all orange to me...[/quote] Go look at one in the bright sunlight. I test drove a "garnet red" version and parked it up against a new Volvo S40 T5 in a parking lot to do a walk around. Next to the pure red of that Volvo, the Legacy GT looked kinda orangish-red. And when red fades, it turns even more orange. It is a nice looking color though, but the orange tint turned me away.[/quote] Oh so very Orange... [img]http://www.di-links.com/albums/daniellegacy/IMG_0006_small_001.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.di-links.com/albums/daniellegacy/IMG_0011_small.jpg[/img]

[quote name='red beast']no orange on my car.... [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/423426/redfront1.jpg[/img] none here either... [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/423426/paint.jpg[/img][/quote] Sorry Dan, but look at the top picture of the car. There is without a doubt an orange tint to that red color. I wish I knew where a picture of a red Ferrari, or the new Volvo, or.... is so I could post them side by side with that "Garnet Red" LGT picture. I think you'd plainly see the LGT "red" has a tint of orange to it.

Sorry, DM , I test drove a Garnet Red LGT and parked it up against a new Volvo S40 in their red. If anybody saw these two reds side by side and could say with a straight face that they didn't think the Garnet Red looks a bit orange by comparison, I'd suggest they get an eye exam for color right away. I was with a friend, and even the sales guy admitted it. Sorry, but that disappointed me and therefore took the "red" out of contention for me. I'm sure some owners will defend their color, and again, it's a good looking color, but when they park their car up against a pure red car someday, I'm sure they say, "hmmm you know it does look to have a bit of orange tint to it." I'm a cameraman, I look a color and images on every job I do. We have to "color correct" the film all the time. I have a good eye for color. I don't want to argue with people over it, it's just not a pure enough red for me.

[quote name='Driver72']Sorry, DM , I test drove a Garnet Red LGT and parked it up against a new Volvo S40 in their red. If anybody saw these two reds side by side and could say with a straight face that they didn't think the Garnet Red looks a bit orange by comparison, I'd suggest they get an eye exam for color right away. I was with a friend, and even the sales guy admitted it. Sorry, but that disappointed me and therefore took the "red" out of contention for me. I'm sure some owners will defend their color, and again, it's a good looking color, but when they park their car up against a pure red car someday, I'm sure they say, "hmmm you know it does look to have a bit of orange tint to it." I'm a cameraman, I look a color and images on every job I do. We have to "color correct" the film all the time. I have a good eye for color. I don't want to argue with people over it, it's just not a pure enough red for me.[/quote] And I parked my car next my a friend's San Remo Red WRX wagon. It looks red. No one has ever noticed my car looks a bit orange. I'm not "defending" this color because I own it, I just disagree. What really matters is, if it's not red enough for you, thenleave it at that, let others decide for themselves.

[quote name='Driver72']I'm sure some owners will defend their color, and again, it's a good looking color, but when they park their car up against a pure red car someday, I'm sure they say, "hmmm you know it does look to have a bit of orange tint to it."[/quote] I parked my wife's classic red miata next to a GRP outback the other day, and there is a slight tomato-orange color in the metal flake (like they used gold or brass-colored flakes) and the over-all hue of the paint is more muted "wine red" compared to a primary-color elemental red. The Mazda RX8 and Mazdaspeed Miata's velocity red is very similar to GRP. I have an "Italian Red" Honda Motorcycle, and that is slightly different from the miata, but the Outback/Legacy is definitely much darker hued. GRP Looks good, but I'd LOVE San Remo red (much closer to the primary color red) on a Legacy GT. I also wish I could see a Legacy without the Pearl/metallic paint. just a smooth, deep paintjob that looks like the car was cast from a color. the miata, after a wash, with it's smooth lines just looks as if it were made of "red." I wish it were clear coated, tho.

[quote name='BookemDano']But the biggest issue with the Red is how much attention it will get from the local gendarmes. [/quote] I too had this concern when I ordered last week. But then I compared the Garnet Red to a used car on the lot in bright "arrest-me" red and I could see that the Garnet was not as intense. Some people may consider that a drawback of the color -- I consider it an advantage.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan'][quote name='Driver72']I'm sure some owners will defend their color, and again, it's a good looking color, but when they park their car up against a pure red car someday, I'm sure they say, "hmmm you know it does look to have a bit of orange tint to it."[/quote] I parked my wife's classic red miata next to a GRP outback the other day, and there is a slight tomato-orange color in the metal flake[/quote] Exactly, that's all I was trying to say. Again, I think any owner of the Garnet Red will see this when they park their cars next to a car that is more pure red.

[quote name='Driver72'] Exactly, that's all I was trying to say. Again, I think any owner of the Garnet Red will see this when they park their cars next to a car that is more pure red.[/quote] My LGT should be here tomorrow. So I'll appreciate it all of it's "orange-ness". :D Thanks to everbody for the great feedback. Regards, Dan.

[quote]My LGT should be here tomorrow. So I'll appreciate it all of it's "orange-ness". :D[/quote] You've made the right color decision. I need to check this orangeness thing with the Garnet Red in the sun light. I actually like orange cars.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

why get red ... er orange.. when atlantic blue is available, hands down the best color offered! there was a cool champagne color offered for the outback that I would have gone for but since it not available for legacy the blue was a simple decision

[quote name='schoterson']why get red ... er orange.. when atlantic blue is available, hands down the best color offered! there was a cool champagne color offered for the outback that I would have gone for but since it not available for legacy the blue was a simple decision[/quote] Die. He made his mind already.

Go with your gut feeling. The red is beautiful. I drove a yellow WRX for 3.5 years and deserved tickets! The yellow stood out more than the red, but with some judgement on when to speed (and some luck) - no tickets. In my blue LGT I really have to pay attention (it is so smooth and fast). So get the red and live the way you want!

[quote name='schoterson']why get red ... er orange.. when atlantic blue is available, hands down the best color offered! there was a cool champagne color offered for the outback that I would have gone for but since it not available for legacy the blue was a simple decision[/quote] Yes, but the Atlantic Blue is SOOOOOO boring! Now, the Garnet Orang... uh Red is very sharp. It's a no brainer. :lol: Besides... If a cop stops me, with my silver hair, I can claim that my foot slipped off of the brake on to the gas pedal. (You know, senior moment!) 8) Regards, Dan.

[quote name='BookemDano'][quote name='schoterson']why get red ... er orange.. when atlantic blue is available, hands down the best color offered! there was a cool champagne color offered for the outback that I would have gone for but since it not available for legacy the blue was a simple decision[/quote] Yes, but the Atlantic Blue is SOOOOOO boring! Now, the Garnet Orang... uh Red is very sharp. It's a no brainer. :lol: Besides... If a cop stops me, with my silver hair, I can claim that my foot slipped off of the brake on to the gas pedal. (You know, senior moment!) 8) Regards, Dan.[/quote] Really? So there's actually a plus when I'll be silver by age 30? I bet these next 10 years will fly by...

[quote name='BookemDano'][quote name='frontrangeSubie'] Both are total nonsense............. Mark 2005 Silver Legacy GT Limited Sedan[/quote] So why'd you buy silver? Dan.[/quote] Because, he likes silver? He's just staing that it's a myth, nothing more... :P

Well gents (and ladies), I pulled the trigger on a Garnet Red Legacy GT Limited 5EAT today!!! They're fixing a minor spoiler problem and I'm picking it up on Monday! I'll post pics when I get it. Many thanks for all of the great feedback. Here's hoping that I will be... Ticket-less in Seattle! Best regards, Dan.

Archived