LegacyGT.com

XM Roady XT Install

danbart

Finally finished installing my Roady XT. I intended to ount it in the ashtray so that I could close the tray w/ the docking station in it when I took the Roady XT into the house, but that didn't work out. The fit and angles needed just didnt work for me so after trying a few different positions I ended up w/ the vent mount.

I like this position because it's easily vewable while driving and I can readch the buttons from the steering wheel.

Antenna: I installed the antenna in stealth mode. It's inside the rear spoliler of my stationwagon. Ran the cable under the headliner to the A pillar nad then through the dash to the dock.

The built in FM Modulator is crap so I went w/ the Delphi SA10112 FM Direct Adaptor. Now the sound quality is excellent. One note is that once you turn the XT off it takes a few second (20-30) for the car antenna to get reactivated so one can receive normal AM/FM radio, but it's really no big deal.

Power: For a 12V switched power source I tapped into the lighter socket by the shifter.

All the components, FM adapter, wires, power plug fit nicely in the empty space under the shifter boot. So minimal disassembly of the dash was needed.

Hope this helps!

PS and no it doesn't interfere w/ the opening of the cubby.

XTclose.jpg.5af1c4364d6fada1cd8234502422338f.jpg

XTDashmount.jpg.9fe8ad33fcb002d549ee9889797014e7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Finally finished installing my Roady XT. I intended to ount it in the ashtray so that I could close the tray w/ the docking station in it when I took the Roady XT into the house, but that didn't work out. The fit and angles needed just didnt work for me so after trying a few different positions I ended up w/ the vent mount.

I like this position because it's easily vewable while driving and I can readch the buttons from the steering wheel.

Antenna: I installed the antenna in stealth mode. It's inside the rear spoliler of my stationwagon. Ran the cable under the headliner to the A pillar nad then through the dash to the dock.

The built in FM Modulator is crap so I went w/ the Delphi SA10112 FM Direct Adaptor. Now the sound quality is excellent. One note is that once you turn the XT off it takes a few second (20-30) for the car antenna to get reactivated so one can receive normal AM/FM radio, but it's really no big deal.

Power: For a 12V switched power source I tapped into the lighter socket by the shifter.

All the components, FM adapter, wires, power plug fit nicely in the empty space under the shifter boot. So minimal disassembly of the dash was needed.

Hope this helps!

PS and no it doesn't interfere w/ the opening of the cubby.

dude, love this installed, how did you tapped the power into the ligther scoket? Btw O&A Rocks, fu Hoho!

NIce! 2 questions: 1. how is the xt mounted? vent clip? 2.from the rear wing, how did you run the cable before it goes into cars headliner?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Danbart, can the 12V power and antenna plug into the XT directly or do you have to connect them to the base? That's my only compliant about the XT over my Roady2. By the time you place the unit into the base its basically the same size at the Roady2. I was really hoping the XT would be small enough to fit inside the dash cubby and allow the door to close.

• 2 months later...

I just bought the XT. It's great! When you set the background to the sunset it almost looks stock. To answer your question C-Lo: The cables (power,antenna) plug directly into the base, not the unit. I'm using a vent clip to hold it in place. I've got it on the passenger's vent though, cause I need my AC! I'm having a problem with my antenna cable though. It's just sort of hanging out in my car. I haven't really figured out how to keep it out of the way. I've got it running down through the pass through and onto the trunk. I'd love to run it down the side of the vent, along the carpet, under the passengers seat, across the floor underneath the seat to the back left corner of the car, up the wall of the back seats onto the deck, and through the pass through to the trunk. I don't know how to keep the wire in place though. Anybody have any ideas?

-T

where did the cables go? from the base, did you wire them throug hte vents? i just put an xt in my gfs tuscon and those wires that come stock poke out so much. even wit that modulator kit, dont the cables still poke out ?

Just so you know that units fits perfect in the cup holder section of our cars. You can slide it back and forth if you need to use the cup holder.

The only down side is that it takes away one of the holders.

Anyway...just an FYI.

Archived