LegacyGT.com

Duplication of the McIntosh System

praedet

Ok, so after looking at specs and pics of the McIntosh system, I am wondering if anyone is considering trying to duplicate it? I know that there is a thread on the stock subwoofer location on the rear deck, but what about the 3-ways up front etc? Pictures of the system are here [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=2189&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15[/url] I have been toying around with either MB Quart QSD 216 Components up front which are only 2-way, or CDT Audio 643 6.5 3-Ways up front. The rear seat would be either a filler midrange/bass unit or a coaxial from the same company. I don't know, but I figure if I used one of the Dave Navone ([url]http://www.davidnavone.com./[/url]) converters running into a good amp (I am looking at the Alpine MRV-F540 80*4 for the car and the Alpine MRD-M500 250*1 for a sub) I would be able to use the Stock HU and get very good sound. (The sub would most likely be a 12 in MB Quart) Thoughts? Ted
:spin:

I don't have a legacy, and probably won't for a while, but when I do... I am thinking that infinity Kappa Perfect set seems quite fitting, if the 10" variableQ sub will fit. I'd really rather not have a "box" in the trunk, unless it is made to flush-mount somewhere well out of the way. The infinity 6.5 components are only two-way, but I think that would be very nice (do two pair of tweeters in the front really improve over one?) I'd put the tweeters and speakers in their stock locations, unless I really get a bug for a second front pair of tweeters. I'd then probably try and figure out a way to mount the second pair to the inside trims for the side mirrors. Higher (closer to ear level) is better, from what I've heard, rather than down in the doors, near the mid-basses. Two or three-way coaxials would probably do well in the rear doors, espeicially if the tweeters are somewhat aimable. Rears tend to be more of a "fill" situation anyway. Then a sub tastefully installed in the rear deck, and all properly powered, with a good source, and I think all would be peachy, sound-system wise.

Ted, and forgive me if I am asking an already-answered question, but what about simply sourcing a McIntosh setup and faceplate from overseas? I'm sure that they're just sitting in a dealer box somewhere, waiting to be installed into cars as an option. Then making it work in your own car is simpler, because we know that everything fits. Might be expensive, but it would sure be perfect. Kevin

Kevin, it hasn't truly been asked, but converters would be needed for radio reception. Plus, the Climate control system is slightly different in all the pics I have seen. So, I am thinking the HU might be an option, but since it would probably be a VERY expensive option for just the unit itself, let alone all the custom work to get it in, and all pieces working, I don't think it is a reasonable one. My goal is good balanced sound. I agree with you on this and the next point Kevn. I have heard the stock stereo with the sub and it is better than mosti stock set-ups. Comparing home and car audio, car audio will always be less faithful to the original. I know that. And I don't want to spend the money on my car stereo that I have on home audio in the past. Admittedly not as much as you Kevin, (based on past posts) but more than some Korean cars that it is ridiculous. So.... I wanted to try and upgrade for sonic clarity, overall balance, and as realistic reproduction as possible.(For under $3-5K and a few stipulations below) I enjoy everything from classical to rock with the exception of country and the majority of pop (Brit. Spears, etc.) I like the integration of the HU, so if I can use it but still upgrade the sound, I would like to do that. That is where the David Navone converter comes in. I am guessing that the McIntosh system is pretty good for imaging, that is why I would try 3-ways in the same positions and the coax in the back. I might or might not add the extra tweeters. I think the CDT speakers would actually be better than their McIntosh counterparts, so that is covered. A single well-powered sealed sub (in a wagon) should round out the system. I guess I was wondering if anyone had thought about putting the holes in their doors for the midrange, whether or not it is worth it. Whether the system menioned up top would provide the dimensions I spoke of in this post. Just honest opinions.... Ted
:spin:

Now that we're sharing ideas on how to improve the stock system, which I believe is a compromise for the masses, I would like to add to the mix. Here is my plan. Stock Head.........Keeper. Will tap into the front speaker outputs (high level) Front speakers....Replace with Diamond Audio co-axial m361i. Single point source better for imaging. Disconnect the door tweeters. Leaving them connected only enhances side biasing. Rear Speaker......Keeper. Only used for fill. New amp............4 channel Infinity amp. 2 front channels will power front and rear speakers per channel (2 ohm load each channel) 2 rear channels bridged for subwoofer. This amp has inputs for both high and low levels. 10" subwoofer......Infinity Perfect in small sealed rectanguar box firing into the ski hole. Bonus.................Ipod integration. using 2- 4 dpdt relays I will able able to send the low level signal into the amp when the relays are energized. With the relays "off" the system is default to normal HU operation. Now if only can get my lazy ass into the garage, I can get this project going and report back

Here's the system I drew up for mine (have yet to find the Denonford deck) Rockford Fosgate Platinum 2000 CD deck (Denon rebadge) Nakamichi PA2004 amplifier, bridged second outputs for the sub Dynaudio System 260GTs up front Disconnect stock speakers in rear Dynaudio MW190 subwoofer, baffled box, flush mounted to the underside of the decklid I'd love to keep the 6-disc in-dash, but I'm afraid it doesn't have pre-outs, and I suspect the DAC is at fault for the sub-par sound in the first place. I'm also thinking of looking at jerry-rigging an aftermarket DAC on to the transport stage of the stock stereo. The laser pickup and servo should be fine. Sure, I'd love to go for 3-ways front and rear, but the price is already pretty out of control.

[quote name='arcsine']Here's the system I drew up for mine (have yet to find the Denonford deck) Rockford Fosgate Platinum 2000 CD deck (Denon rebadge) Nakamichi PA2004 amplifier, bridged second outputs for the sub Dynaudio System 260GTs up front Disconnect stock speakers in rear Dynaudio MW190 subwoofer, baffled box, flush mounted to the underside of the decklid I'd love to keep the 6-disc in-dash, but I'm afraid it doesn't have pre-outs, and I suspect the DAC is at fault for the sub-par sound in the first place. I'm also thinking of looking at jerry-rigging an aftermarket DAC on to the transport stage of the stock stereo. The laser pickup and servo should be fine. Sure, I'd love to go for 3-ways front and rear, but the price is already pretty out of control.[/quote] Are there already holes cut for the McIntosh stereo to fit? I guess what I'm asking is, will 3-way separate component speakers fit in stock locations?

[quote name='Th3Franz'] Are there already holes cut for the McIntosh stereo to fit? I guess what I'm asking is, will 3-way separate component speakers fit in stock locations?[/quote] Considering the sub mount is in the rear, I think you'd just need to get the grills and cut a hole in the trim..

[quote name='Deer Killer']Considering the sub mount is in the rear, I think you'd just need to get the grills and cut a hole in the trim..[/quote] For the sub, yes. For the 3-way drivers front and rear, you'd have to order the JDM A-and-C-pillar pods to mount them, or cut out part of your door paneling. The US setup is for 2-way front, coaxial rears. It'd be a bitch to put in, worse to wire. I'd suggest leaving the stock rears in and just not wiring them up, and getting 2-ways for up front. There are some full-range 2-ways that can blow away the "McIntosh" JBL setup (Focal, Dynaudio, &c). The Dynaudio System 260 ESOTAR is the creme de la creme, it uses the same tweeter driver as the $110,000 Evidence.

• 2 weeks later...
How exactly are you doing this iPod integration, I want to integrate my iPod so bad. I have had a mp3 player in my car for over 3yrs already and there is no way I am going back to having only a few cds to choose from...... Parousia

[quote name='Th3Franz']Yeah I think some CDTs I saw would do very well, but I still need to know the maximum depth 6.5" speaker that will fit in the front doors of an 05 Legacy GT![/quote] pretty sure it is 2". if you enter your car in on crutchfield, no speaker is deeper than 2".

couple things i found out today.... 1) Scosche(sp) will be working on a replacement part expected ship date is 3-4 months away 2) went to my local car audio shop, great guys that i lub... if you can get a replacment piece for the location of the clock/display, a double DIN deck will easily fit in there, they will just want a replacement so they can cut on it, and will need to add some support inside for it. Normal cost is gonna run you $500 for the work + the new piece I guess that i'm going to pray that scosche figures it out for a cheaper price..... ps... anyone with the macintosh system post pics of the center console? or does anyone know if it's the same?

one thing i found when in the subaru shop today(car getting it's clear coat) talkign to the guy there, the factory stereo can't be removed apparently.... some sort of communication goes on with it and the car cpu. Subaru does know of a company working on a wire harness to remedy this, 4-5 months out though.....

[quote name='wally']one thing i found when in the subaru shop today(car getting it's clear coat) talkign to the guy there, the factory stereo can't be removed apparently.... some sort of communication goes on with it and the car cpu. Subaru does know of a company working on a wire harness to remedy this, 4-5 months out though.....[/quote] That's very interesting. I'm glad I didn't try messing around with adding an aftermarket HU then!

Archived