LegacyGT.com

how to change timing belt on 2.5???

• 2 weeks later...
How hard is it to replace the oil seals on the cam shafts when doing the timing belt job. I have a bunch of oil leaking from behind my timing belt covers. I would assume this is from the oil seals on the cam shafts. Am I correct? Has anyone changed these? Any tips or pointers for me....Im trying to collect the parts this weekend and next week and then dive into the front end all next weekend.

Does anyone recomend a good website to purchase a timing belt kit. I need to get one to my front door within a week. Not sure if I can trust ebay or not. I dont want to buy from the dealer because they quoted me like 700$ for everything. I purchased some cam seals, crank seals, and the water pump from my local auto parts store. Should I do the same with the belt and pulleys or should I spend the extra money on a performance kit?

$700?? I'm looking at my online account for subarugenuineparts.com from my latest timing belt change, it wasn't anything over $250, incl. the waterpump and gasket.

Although, I didn't change any idlers, you still wouldn't get to that quote if you bought every idler.

I hate to say it, but I really feel genuine parts are the best to use when doing something like this. It just really sucks to do all that work, and because you wanted to save a few dollars, you have to rip it apart again to replace something that should have lasted at least double the time if you had just used a genuine part.

The dealer quoted,

Cam seals (4) - 48$

Crank seal - 16$

Belt - 100$

Adjuster - 150$

Idlers (2) - 150$

Cog idler - 82$

Water pump - 100$

Timing Belt cover gasket - 25$

I purchased a Gates performance kit on ebay. 200$ for the pulleys and belt. I then picked up a water pump, gasket, and seals at auto zone for like 80$. Ill go to the dealer for the timing cover gasket. And I need to pick up a tensioner as well.

Should cost me half what the dealer quoted. Ill have a few extra bucks to buy some new tools as well.

I have the dealer PDF manuel as well as a bunch of posts I thought were worth printing out.

Anything else you guys recomend?

Hi there,

So is your engine the DOHC interference type then? I have a 1998 GT-B EJ20 japan spec third generation - so its a DOHC 2L Twin turbo (I'm in Japan - parts are horribly expensive!).

I have to do this job this weekend, but I don't have the cam holder tools - anyone know if, when I take off the old belt and the cams rotate, Ill damage anything?

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

well my brother, me and a couple guys got it done last saturday. it was quite easy, just time consuming. it takes atleast 1 other guy to hold the driverside cam pulley, and it was nice to have another to hold the belt on the other pulleys(me mostly). also it takes either one burly impact or a long pipe and wrench along with a specially fabricated tool to hold the crank pulley in place. im considering making some more of the tools to sell on ebay, as far as i know there is currently not anyone who makes one. with a stick shift it wouldn't be a problem, but since the car was an automatic there is no other way to get the crank bolt out.

if anyone else is planning on replaceing the timing belt and waterpump i know how to do it now and can guide you through it if you cant figure it out, but its not that hard with the right tools.

Archived