LegacyGT.com

01 Legacy GT Want to add accessory power

Bob Weir

Hi all,

Owner's manual shows optional accessory power plug in console between cup holder & armrest. Looks like a coin holder is there now.

What models had this option, that I could get from a salvage yard?

Dealer thinks I might need the harness for it. If so, How do I remove the console? [As in hidden screws & clips, apply pressure here while pulling there]. Any ideas where to tap into circuit or is there a plug just waiting for me?

Other than Chilton & Hanyes, are there better books for basic repair? I don't intend on R&R major components [motor, trans etc] just a few mods and maintenance.

Thanks

Bob

PS New owner, just bought it in Dec 05.

Well I have a 2002 Legacy L and I dont have the power accessory there either, but i have seen this pics of it and all. I think the GTs have it. There is a circuit plug waiting there for you, just plug it in. As for reapir manuals. Chilton and Hanyes don't have one out yet. The only one i know of is from Subaru and its very expensive. Also it isnt all in one book, it is multiple books and each of them are over $100.

To remove the center console it is quite easy.

1) Pull your e-brake.

2) Remove shift knob. It just screws off. (Marked #1 in the picture)

3) Pull the garnish piece around the shifter off. It takes a little strength but just pull. (Marked #2 in the picture)

4) Take out the 4 phillips screws. 2 of them are marked in the picture with a + sign. The other 2 are under the cubby thing in the console. Just open it and they are right there.

5) Pull the center console towards the front of the car and up towards the roof.

Its off :)

http://home.comcast.net/~samur_devil/console.jpg

2002 Subaru Legacy L (Retired)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT

• 2 weeks later...

I popped the coin holder, but didn't see any harness. I suspect your reference is to one near cig lighter under console.

Thanks for the detailed explaination on the console. Lack of books is what makes forums like this one so valuable.

Thanks,

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
A ac/dc outlet same as the outback, im looking into that idea right now and I will let you know. Also you know that square divet between the shifter and the cup holder is seat heaters. I have a GT 2001 and I found out that the LGT's didnt come out with stock seat heaters and extra ac/dc outlets till 2002 so crap but you can add on. Also on the drivers side door window switches you can add a defrost for the side mirrors,but you haft to get the mirrors from a outback of the same year because thats the only model with the real features, instead of the fake blackedout buttons.

Archived