LegacyGT.com

Just took delivery - 3 oddities?

When washing & drying the car I noticed there is a distinct paint blend line around the edge of the rear wheel opening - kinda hard to see in this pic but it's there. Then I noticed the push in attachment pieces are missing, so the bottom can be moved a bit by hand. It's exactly the same on both sides.:confused:

Then when driving the car along my street to clean the rotors I applied the parking/handbrake to clean the rear rotors and heard a loud squeal. I didn't think much of it then (only 15 miles) but it's still there after 40. I first decided to check at about 20 miles and it was quite loud, only from the passenger side, but diminished & went away after 4-5 reps. Then near 35 I checked again & it was back to a quite loud squeal on the same side only.:icon_surp

No noise at all when using just the brake pedal.

Are these 3 things normal on our car?

1271551486_RearQPmysterySm.thumb.jpg.a165485db50056afa4f98fc266fef8bc.jpg

The rear disks have oversized "hats" (section in the middle of the disk that goes over the hub and wheel studs) and a brake shoe in there presses outward on the inside of the disk, very similar to a drum and shoe system, although the disk is one peice, and is acted upon by both the caliper on the front and back, and and the emergency brake shoe on the inside.

Just don't go looking for a brake drum inside your rear wheels. It won't look like one, but it is there.

Bedding the brake pads will clean the rear caliper pads and the disk surface, but pulling the hand brake will probably just scar and wear the inside of the disk, and the emergency shoe a bit. Don't worry too much, though, as an emergency brake implies brake failure emergencies, which sometimes happen at speed. The e-brake will slow you down, and probably eat itself while doing so.

As long as you didn't hold it too long, it is probably only slightly worn. and as has been said, don't do it again! :D

+1.

Both things appear to be normal. Paint line is there.

Another thing you might notice about the parking brake is that the car still rolls a tiny bit after you set the parking brake and then let off the foot brake. So, when parking in gear (w/ manually tranny), you should let off the foot brake so the car's held by the parking brake before putting into 1st or reverse as a safety precaution.

My MY01 has 120+ Km's on the clock now and still makes that squeek when you rip on the park brake. Unsure why u would be driving down the road and pulling it on to clear the rotors though ??? Unsure who told you to do that but for mine, just apply the brake pedal, enough done.

Cant comment re the other two things u had but like other suggested, the holes would be for the flaps.

Ada///M.

I had just washed the car for the first time & wanted to clean the rust off the rotors for it's first pictures.:icon_tong

Parking brake works fine, tested it on a friends steep driveway today.:)

Only 881 miles left to finish break in. 4000 seems so short.....

You're killin kittens. :icon_twis

The flash rust will occur after long period of inactivity or downpours and goes away after the second if not the first application of brakes so, don't do that with the parking braek thingie evAr again.

I keed I keeed

I had just washed the car for the first time & wanted to clean the rust off the rotors for it's first pictures.:icon_tong

Parking brake works fine, tested it on a friends steep driveway today.:)

Only 881 miles left to finish break in. 4000 seems so short.....

Check out debate regarding break in. Search for "drive it like you stole it." :icon_twis

Oh yeah, this car is soooo quiet except on old concrete highways, the kind where the concrete sections are about 10 feet long and have a 1/2 inch vertical mismatch. The tires sound like Shaq is dribbleing 4 basketballs at once!:lol:

Is it just that the car is so quiet that wind noise off the windshield seems so pronounced, starting around 60MPH?:confused: I know it's wind because when there's a gust of crosswind the sound level fluctuates.

Archived